The Flame-Free Confession Thread

Yep. The girl to whom I was referring would be broke tomorrow regardless of if I gave her $5 or $500. The only difference would be how she spent her night.

It blows my mind. I literally would be unable to sleep at night knowing that I have $0 in my account, let alone less for my friends that are technically living in debt. Occasionally we’ll see a guy on the street with the “anything helps” sign, and I’ll point out to the Mrs “That guy is even right now: our friends are technically worth less”

One of the best things my dad ever did for me was give me a copy of “The Richest Man in Babylon” when I was in high school. Prior to that, money burned a hole in my pocket, but learning the value of saving as little as 10% of your income was a HUGE eye opener at a young age.

6 Likes

The best thing my parents did for me was at least teach me that nothing was free. Everything has a cost. I was spoiled, but I knew I had to earn some stuff.

For example, I wanted a new freestyle bike since they were all the rage back in the early 90’s. The one I wanted was $250. I wanted it and knew I’d get it. I was right, but I traded in my current bike and a mountain bike to offset the cost. I knew I had to give something to get something.

Best lesson I could’ve learned.

EDIT: Now that I’m an adult and have to pay for my own food I know that my parents were spoiling me just by feeding me. I’m not a cheap one to feed.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing the 10% rule for a good few years now

Another good titbit is to round up your cash to the nearest pound/dollar on all purchases and stick it in a high interest account over the year. I’ve probably put away a grand this year alone following that rule.

Saving in the UK seems a waste of time right now however. Interest rates are super low and Brexit is likely to hit the pound hard. Anything you have saved will be down considerably. Probably best converting your cash into Norwegian Krona and converting it back once ‘No Deal’ kicks in :cry::joy:

Wouldn’t you like to know.

1 Like

Just do like my grandpa did and convert your cash into gold and silver. Bury the gold in the backyard and store the silver in a piano.

…for reasons none of us truly understood after his passing.

1 Like

That’s risky. My mother-in-law used to go to estate sales where families would just sell everything in the house because they didn’t want to get rid of it. One of her acquaintances who also bought stuff at these wound up with a fold out couch full of gold bars. I bet the family would’ve liked to have that.

Yeah but interest rates shouldn’t be the main reason you save. You’re right, though; you’ll get the same rate in a current account as a savings account a lot of the time.

Probably but a lot of the damage has been done already - plus everyone is expecting it to be a total disaster, so we won’t get that post-referendum drop again.

That being said I will be changing a lot of my GBP to EUR beforehand. Just in case.

Won’t the EUR drop against a basket of world currencies once the UK leaves? I guess it would depend on the final version of the “deal”.

That’s why I like real estate. As long as population increases shelter and dirt will hold value as well as anything.

I legit wonder what it’s like to have an actual arch in my foot. Does it feel any different? Would I even be able to tell?

Last week, the wife says to me that she has accepted that she’s an emotional person and she just needs to learn to be comfortable with that.

I thought, that’s an odd thing to say. There’s plenty about myself that I thought was not good, so I changed it. I said, it’s important to be yourself.

What I didn’t realise is she was saying she no longer wants to filter all the nasty shit that pops into her mind about everything.

The last week has been as rough as fuck, I mean I’ve known people who ended up in jail for killing people and they seemed tame compared to this.

3 Likes

I often wonder if my wife has a filter as she is generally nice and doesn’t like conflict or arguments. I hate to think of what would happen is she took that filter off !! Maybe all the wife really needs is someone to be present and actually listen. Good luck with it.

Funny when self awareness leads to bad outcomes. Stay the course she’ll realize that being toxic makes everyone avoid you, eventually.

Well the only draw back is that shes salary and shes a workaholic and I ended up being the one to cook dinner most nights. Small gripe all things considered but still…

1 Like

Feel like a cheating whore since im ordering from Rogue and not EliteFts.

3 Likes

Elitefts stocks Rogue gear now. It’s confusing.

Did not know that… are you talking their version of Rogue gear. Or actual Rogue stuff?

Actual rogue stuff. If you go on their site and click “bars and weights”, scroll down and you’ll see rogue plates and the ohio deadlift bar, among other Rogue products.

wow… didnt expect that

I’m here to confess, as I have in the past, that I’m altogether too well-equipped to mentally handle being injured. When I first dove into strength training it resulted in me being sore for about four years. Sure I got a lot stronger, built some muscle, got a lot leaner and generally improved in most areas of my life…

But I was still sore pretty much constantly for about four years, which isn’t quite as relaxing as sitting in a nice chair with my feet up.

My foot sprain is healing up and It’s been weeks since I’ve been sore from weight training that I’m not doing. I’m a week or three away from doing any lifting on my feet but I probably can start some seated work. Sure, I could have started some seated work weeks ago, but I decided to spend my downtime to see what World of Warcraft was like after 12 years away from the game.

It’s still a pretty cool game. Not as cool as jiu jitsu, but I’m not ready to get back on the mat yet.

I am, however, ready for a recovery beer. Happy weekend all!

2 Likes