The Flame-Free Confession Thread

Wife: Do you think I can have this soup tomorrow?
Me: My rule of thumb is don’t reheat twice
Wife: But it’s just vegetables
Me: You can get sick from vegetables. You left it out for hours when you cooked it, you left it out for hours tonight. Also, that rule of thumb…
Wife: I think I’m going to have it
Me: That’s about 50c worth of ingredients in each bowl but you’ve already decided… just don’t give any to the kids
Wife: okay

Next evening…

Me: Catching up on Black Mirror
Wife: Getting across the finer details of our bathroom.

5 Likes

My girlfriend is the total opposite. If anything gets within about 48h of it’s use-by date she’s weird about eating it.

Probably not a bad way to be but “for fuck’s sake, it’s fine” is a routine dinner table mantra for me.

3 Likes

Common phrase in my house: “What’s it smell like?”

1 Like

In my house wife usually just says cut the mold off it and it will be fine !

1 Like

I eat food way too fast for it to ever spoil.

2 Likes

Just got notice I didn’t get a $24k contract I had bid on. For some reason hit me right in the feels and I was seeing red. Yelled “fuck!” More than once (was alone at the time).

You’d think a grown ass man could handle losing a bit more gracefully. It’s not even that much money.

2 Likes

Yippy… got the wife’s blessing on getting a new Trap bar. Dont laugh… since she makes double of what I do in pay.

4 Likes

Does this get asked in the kitchen or is this some weird bedroom thing?

6 Likes

:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I have a stay at home wife, 2 kids and a mortgage at 28, I would LOVE for my wife to make double my pay. We’d be fuckin ballers. However, she’s a wonderful mother, keeps the house clean and takes care of pretty much everything so no real complaints here.

3 Likes

You are Indeed a lucky man. Make sure you appreciate her every day.

2 Likes

I cooked some ground sirloin burgers and took me two weeks to eat through 10 lbs of them. The last day we ate them they were kind of greenish. My son said I’m not eating those anymore they have some sort of sting funk taste. I was like yeah they do we threw out the last few (3-4) and made some fresh prep.

1 Like

You are indeed a monster my friend

1 Like

I’ve done the same. When a stir fry starts tasting fermented, chuck it.

1 Like

My girlfriend recently started work after about a year of unemployment/sporadic employment. She makes a little less than half of what I do but after 12 months of being used to only my salary, having the ~40% income boost is absolutely deadly.

Unfortunately being boring grownups we’re putting most of it in savings.

5 Likes

Now and again I think: in the middle of the night, just take 90% of the money and go to Vegas for a month. Deal with the consequences when you get back.

1 Like

Nice!

At work I constantly work with people who are unemployed, broke, and always the “victim” of something. They turn in front of someone and total their car and don’t have a license or insurance. They can’t pay for the tow so the car just goes to the wrecker lot and accumulates fees for storage.

They’re all like “Woe is me! What am I going to do? I can’t afford this!”

After seeing people suffer the consequences of their own ignorance/stupidity it excites me to see people be responsible.

Yeah it sucks that there are a ton of people stuck in terrible cycles through no fault of their own, but when people are in situations pretty objectively of their own making it’s tough to be too sympathetic.

Then again I’m kind of an idiot myself, just an idiot lucky enough to have stumbled into a well-paid line of work in an industry that’s making a lot of money. Maybe if I hadn’t I’d be one of those people…

1 Like

I’ve known many of my peers that, irrespective of income, seem to view money as an entity that must be spent as SOON as it is acquired, in it’s entirety. The notion of saving is alien to them. I imagine, if you’re saving now, you’d save as much as you could with lower income as well.

As Americans are notoriously irresponsible when it comes to saving and spending, this is a dog-bites-man observation.

1 Like