The Flame-Free Confession Thread

They want to be part of the Stu harem:

4 Likes

Older dude in the squat rack quarter repping today, but he was obviously trying hard and proud of himself, we made eye contact and I gave him a smile and a nod and he looked pretty chuffed. Fuck it, he’s in the gym getting after it, no point in being a judgemental douche, I’ve done plenty of high squats in my time

10 Likes

This just happened again… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Bet that’s not all they complimented you on !! :wink:

1 Like

Maybe he’s trying to improve his vertical or sprint time!

And depending on how old he is, that approach might be better for bone density.

3 Likes

I had my 39th birthday again. :smiley:

9 Likes

Happy Birthday!

You are 78 years old?

6 Likes

I’ve come to realize I rely on music during my workouts not to get or stay in the ‘zone’, but to drown out the symphony my knees play for me.

6 Likes

Fun little fitness lie I tell myself, “I’m going to start doing hard conditioning.”

6 Likes

You must be telepathic!! I lie to myself about that all the time!!

I confess that I am too damn old.

I remember when training plans would come out from big names in the industry, and that alone had enough weight to carry them. You’d crack open Powerlifting USA and see a blurb by Louie or Crain and you’d steal that gem and use it in your training. By nature of the fact that these guys wrote it, you figured it MUST be good.

Now, information from these guys is FAR more abundant, with e-books that you can download in an instant that contains all of their works and thoughts, along with countless free articles and videos…and this makes trainees LESS inclined to follow them.

“Yeah, I know Jim Wendler squatted 1000lbs and has trained thousands of trainees to get big and strong…but some guy on youtube called Alpha Destiny said 5/3/1 doesn’t work, and he has a TON of views. I don’t think I’m gonna do 5/3/1”

“I know Joe DeFranco has been churning out athletes for over a decade, but I don’t think Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards has enough lower body volume. Trust me: I read a LOT about MRV”

People have bizarre systems of faith.

12 Likes

There was a guy in my gym wearing a Westside Barbell Club T-shirt this morning.

He wasn’t particularly jacked. So…I guess this is his confession?

Yeah but he’s natty, bro. That Wendler cat uses 'roids so you know his shit doesn’t apply to natty lifters.

3 Likes

Lately I find myself talking to myself in the gym like old Batman does in “The Dark Knight Returns”… shit like “lucky old man”, “these never used to be this heavy”, “so many easier things to be doing”…

S

7 Likes

He grows a beard to cover up the jawline. Confirmed.

1 Like

Since this is #flamefree I’ll jump in the firepit:

1- I think AlphaDestiny (seriously, can anyone call this cat by his self-given nickname and not laugh out loud? -lol) is just any other intermediate lifter, and while he’s arguably more reputable simply because he’s gotten decent results in his relatively short time training than half of momos on youtube, I still look at him as a young, pretty ego-driven beginner in the few videos of his I have subjected myself to.

2- Wendler is a powerlifter and 531 isn’t a magic cure-all, especially for bodybuilders. Bodybuilders need to focus on intensity much more than how much objective weight is on the bar. The premise of getting stronger so you can use a heavier weight when you go back to training for hypertrophy is silly and unfounded insofar as being any better at building LBM. Learning to train around natural strength curves is something most successful competitors I’ve known have had to deal with.

S

3 Likes

muzzel
I am pretty sure you know my feeling… and you know how hard it is for me not to add my 2 cents regarding the subject at hand.

Well im glad im not the only one!!!

2 Likes

Always much respect for you brother :wink:

S

1 Like

Agree with all of this. Trying to use 5/3/1 for Bodybuilding would be silly. It’s more the folks that say “I just want to be big and strong” that I think are pretty silly when they decide it doesn’t work. This weird thing of vague goals with strict approaches confuses me.

2 Likes