The Flame-Free Confession Thread

You dare cross swords in a grammar fight with me again, old man?

I scoff at your assertion that big and fat are synonyms. Do they not have short fat people where you come from?

2 Likes

To avoid this type of awkwardness, always find out the name of the guy on the other end first.

1 Like

The Redundant Department of Redundancy is here to flag potential redundancies. Webster defines big as “of considerable size” and fat as “large in bulk or circumference.”

Note - there is no mention of height.

The RDR maintains “big fat” is potentially repetitive and redundant.

9 Likes

ALL y’all are partially right, yet also partially, potentially inaccurate.

The antonym for big is small, not short.
The antonym for short is tall or long (depending on the context,) not big.

Therefore, something can be big and fat, but something can also be big and thin. Something can be short and fat, or it can be short and small or short and thin, ad nauseum.

Stated another way (basic formal logic) big MAY be redundant for fat, so big is a sufficient condition when describing fat, but big doesn’t HAVE to mean fat, so big isn’t a necessary condition to being fat. IF something is big, it MIGHT be fat, BUT it might also be thin. Big as a condition is sufficient to describing fat, but big isn’t a necessary condition for describing fat.

In super basic statistics, big and fat can be correlated and even causally linked, but they don’t always have a positive correlation, so big and fat are two independent factors.

Therefore, back to English grammar, big is sometimes, but not always, a synonym for fat.

:grin:

5 Likes

Redundant.

Redundant.

And therefore, redundant.

Damn bro, you got some game!

2 Likes

Return and volley!

MAY be redundant except when it ISN’T redundant, ergo (in those instances) NOT redundant.

Overhand return!

This whole thing is being argued about so redundantly…

1 Like

Herein lies the problem: my language is too lyrical, too poetic to be constrained by Websters.

You’re a digital watch, whereas I’m an elegant analogue timepiece.

5 Likes

Oxymoronic.

2 Likes

ah fuck! It was supposed to say “lyrical.”

I’ve edited it now. You can’t prove a thing.

5 Likes

Drats!

1 Like

Remember edit history!

that’s a thing?

wooooaaaahhh how you motherfuckers doing that?

7 Likes

Just click on the pencil on the right of your edited post

Edit: looks like you can’t see the edit history of your own posts

(unless they were also edited by someone else like a mod)

You can, you just have a window of time to edit your post before the ‘edit history’ kicks in. If you went back now and edited your above post it will have an edit history.

3 Likes

Woah, you really never stop learning

I hope not, that would make life pretty boring.

1 Like

Drake fucking sucks. There. I said it.

12 Likes