The Flame-Free Confession Thread

How To Make Friends - theonecamko hahaha

8 Likes

Since you’re ALREADY friends though, I think you could lead with the throat punch, then explain it was for squat depth. If I was talking shit about quarter squatting I’d hope my friends would do the same for me.

5 Likes

I really hate it when people say: ‘Couple things’! or ‘Natty’ as opposed to natural.

1 Like

I get that way too. At ‘my’ gym, there’s only one squat rack (read: power rack). Typically I don’t care what someone’s form is when they are squatting…but if it’s Leg Day and I want to squat and somebody is using the squat rack and doing 1/4 ROM, I get all judgy.

Basically, if someone is using the piece of equipment I want to use and their form is shit, I get judgy about it because they’re not using the equipment ‘properly’ when I could be using it properly.

1 Like

Strongman is the ultimate cure for this. Your bro goes “Hey man, how much do you squat?”

And then you look up like you’re thinking real hard and sigh and go “Man, I haven’t squatted a max with a barbell in a LONG time. I hit an easy set of 8 with 325 on the safety squat bar suspended with chains awhile back, but I was cutting them high to get some carryover on stones. I did a yoke pick with 900lbs a few weeks back, but that was just a few inches off the ground. Oh, you wanna know what I bench? Well, I use the 8” log on an incline for 245. Deadlifts? Oh geez, I’ve been focusing on the side handle car deadlift this training cycle, and I can manage 8 plates per side on the simulator."

Nothing compares to anything.

11 Likes

Haha it seems like an elaborate scheme to avoid human interaction…so obviously, I’m in

3 Likes

I have loved this lately. Someone asked me “how much do you lift in strongman?”
My answer was a 1000 lb wheelbarrow. Or occasionally a stone between 150-300 lbs. Just depends.

3 Likes

I’d say I competed “Strongman,” and people would get excited. They ask me about punching people, as if I competed in “Tough Man.” Then they be disappointed that I just lifted silly stuff.

2 Likes

Oh man, I get that one and Ironman all the time. I’m like “Do I LOOK like I have that kinda endurance?”

If people call me a bodybuilder or a powerlifter, I don’t bother to correct them, because that’s at least “close enough”, but once it gets to that extreme I feel a need to offer some course correction.

2 Likes

My brother in law was like, “Well in my Spartan Race, we had to carry buckets of gravel up a 400’ hill. They weighed around 40 lbs. Have you ever done anything like that?”
I just thought, that sounds like a nice rest from the running between obstacles. But I kept that to myself.

4 Likes

That’s how I take water to the goats, every day! Strength is useful.

2 Likes

I admit …I almost broke down and cried yesterday. Fighting the tell end of what I think was the Flu. Took off work yesterday to do a Bathroom remodeling project. Things got way more complicated than expected !!

Bathroom%20hell

7 Likes

Everything is overwhelming to begin with. Small steps, you’ll get there!

2 Likes

Probably nothing worse than having the flu AFTER you removed your toilette.

3 Likes

Fwiw- I have that same broom, and it will work really well once you get a floor. So there’s something good.

10 Likes

I think I can top that. There was this guy practicing his ‘fencing skills’ in the gym. He kept throwing his towel slightly in front of him and lunging forward to catch it.

I thought cool, maybe he’s just warming up with some drills or something. In the hour or so I saw him there, he did a solely right arm bicep curl, slowly left arm tricep extension, lunged walked on the threadmill and deadlifted a 12kgs kettlebell for a couple of reps.

1 Like

There’s one guy in my gym who quarter squats on the Smith like his life depends on it (whilst wearing lifting gloves) and he clearly feels good about himself for it. I kinda respect the fact that he just does his thing. I don’t think he has any plan with it in terms of athletic crossover or anything, i think he thinks he’s going A2G, but hey, who cares right?

2 Likes

I almost face planted on the stairs getting a bottle of soda to drink

I tripped up the stairs whilst carrying something, this happens frequently.

Wife tells me we have to do a play date with the kids because some girl she knew in high school is about to have kid two and wants to see how ours interact.
Me: “Oh good, a strange couple we don’t know, sounds like fun. I’ll bet they’re serial killers.”

Wife: “You remember her. Here’s a picture of their family.”

Me: “Ah, so I suppose I’ll have to talk sports or whatever with the husband. Let’s see here… around 30 years old, near sighted, white, brown short hair, beard, receding hair line… wait a minute… that’s me!”

Wife: “Only 90 pounds lighter.”

Mega burn. Not sure if it was on me or that guy. He did look about 135lbs. Lmao

12 Likes