The Flame-Free Confession Thread

It’s 2:40 pm and I’m about to finish my first rum and sprite of the day.

It’s 60 and sunny and I’m off work and hanging out with the family and it just feels right.

(I usually work Sundays and have zero days off with my wife.)

3 Likes

To an extent, sometimes what’s funny to others isn’t funny to others. No harm is intended, at least I understand, but there’s an entire background story attached to people, and being considerate is a task in and of itself. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the “fried chicken, and kool aid” jokes, and I legit clench my fist every time I hear it, because it’s just not funny, and I won’t laugh to ease the tension. I’ll keep complete silence and stare, until people realize I do not find it funny.

It’s not that they don’t understand what’s funny, at least for me, it’s more about how it’s intended to be funny with the premise of actually “making fun of”, sprinkled all over the humor. Sometimes jokes are made, and the person who the joke was intended for can’t even relate. Idk.

By then it gets ironic because if you laugh, you’re just going along with it, if you don’t, “dude why can’t you just take a joke?”

To add: I’m not mad, or upset, I’m just bringing conversation.

A big order came in a couple weeks ago, its been awesome. However, the next thing they’ll need is more floor space…

Just to clear the air;

dt (a big fan of movies) was referring to a specific line, from a particular character, in 1 movie. If you didn’t see Lethal Weapon 4, you might not know what he was talking about. Then you’re “trapped” (you miss the inside joke because you didn’t see the movie) when he shows you that line he’s referring to.

3 Likes

Thank you. I am also Chinese.

Now, the 2nd thing about what makes the joke funny is the element of juxtaposition since the word “prick” would not be part of such a stereotype’s vernacular, hence it is made absurd enough for a reasonable person to conclude that it is making fun of a stereotype and not a member of the race itself.

Now for a little history on the movie since what we will probably not see a big budget movie from Hollywood so unapologetically non-PC again, the Chinese characters in Lethal Weapon 4 were plucked from the Hong Kong gangster movie genre. 8/10 films at the time were gangster films and the largest film company then was owned by high ranking members of the Chinese triad.

The way it was filmed and the inclusion of actors like Conan Lee

who starred in much earlier HK cult movies showed the filmmakers had a very deep understanding and love for the genre.

Fuck i’m a bloody nerd.

3 Likes

I hate snow in the Netherlands.
It’s always a bloody mess, it freezes so its like ice in no time,
And when theres snow public transport becomes garbage.

Fuck snow.

Tiger on the beat!!!

1 Like

Hell yeah! Chainsaw fight!

1 Like

Confession: I am genuinely concerned how often ‘Kool Aid’ comes up in this thread. Must be a 'murican thang.

And yes, I get concerned easily!

3 Likes

I love snow.

I feel genuinely happy and excited when I see snow.

A combination of childhood Christmas memories and a love of skiing I suppose.

1 Like

I also love the snow and military preparation required to attack kids with snowballs effectively without giving away my position

1 Like

Interesting info on the Film!

Where do you rank #4 against 1-3?

Also, nobody saw Goonies?

1 Like

We have some stretches of single digit temps or wind chills here and it’s usually accompanied by high winds. It’s miserable.

I figure if it’s going to be cold and windy then it might as well snow. And usually if it snows the wind dies down afterwards.

6 Likes

Well, he is wearing flip flops.

2 Likes

Whats wrong with flip flops

IMO parts 1-3 had better screenplays, i.e plots, character developement etc, while part 4 was an all-out action comedy and the first time that level of martial arts choreography and editing appeared in a Hollywood film so it will probably depend on one’s mood when watching them. Objectively, part 4 was the worst in the series.

For audiences in Asia who were also fans of the Lethal Weapon series, it was Martin Riggs vs an already massively popular Jet Li so it was a different experience altogether.

2 Likes

I loved that series, but damn if Chris Rock didn’t just ruin it all.

S

1 Like

Everything!

Fixed

2 Likes