The Flame-Free Confession Thread

Truthful Statement! Things go in cycles. Peary Rader paved the way for the YouTube bros of today.

I heard Louie say that he got tons of great ideas from the Original Westside guys (Pat Casey, George Frenn), from their articles in Ironman.

Bill Starr, (to deadlift more, don’t deadlift) wrote for Ironman. Some dudes were just talking about him.

Anthony Ditillo wrote for Ironman. Thibs mentions him as a big inspiration, and writes throwback routines “derived” from Ditillo’s stuff.

Who’s gonna reinvent the Magic Circle?

:

3 Likes

I have been using DDP on my off days with my girl for a while now
I enjoy it actually and I feel pretty good for a 47 year old.

Yoga in any form is probably a good companion to anyone with a few years under their belt.

That looks pretty difficult!

Yeah @FlatsFarmer I am aware of all the examples you listed…
Oh I do have a a really old issue of IronMan That does have a advertisement for the Magic Circle.
I just find it funny seeing guys being all excited about new concepts that have been around for decades,

1 Like

Maybe some of those old Ironmans are worth some money!

My favorite Old Timey technique is to chop lifts into different ranges of motion, using the Power Rack.

2 Likes

I get tired of when people give cookie cutter advice on form in certain lifts without taking the persons leverages into consideration.

3 Likes

I get tired … a lot.

1 Like

After a wonderful week of relaxation, family time and good eating in Poland I promptly caught a mild bout of gastro on my return to the UK. Not eaten since Saturday morning. Gonna be next weekend before I can get under the iron again comfortably. Ugh!

Ever since watching alot of ronnie coleman videos lately in the gym when lifting heavy i yell out “Lightweight” “aint nothin but a peanut” and ronnie coleman doesnt say this but iv recently started saying “fuckkk yeahh bruh” i dont even try to say it, these things just come out and iv gotten some weird looks lol

1 Like

I finally watched Generation Iron 2 this weekend. WTF? It was more focused on social media than lifting. Weird mishmash. Maybe I just didn’t get it or am too old.

3 Likes

I’ve been avoiding it for this reason… disappointed to hear it didn’t follow the original well.

1 Like

You made right decision.

Pumping Iron was a good watch. Probably saw it like five times. I got about 15 minutes into Generation Iron and was like “well this is fucking stupid” and turned it off. Didn’t know they made a second one and don’t intend on seeing it

2 Likes

I have hope for “Westside vs the World”. January is too far away.

5 Likes

I’m pretty much game to watch anything about bodybuilding, but GEneration Iron was just stupid. Likening it to Pumping Iron was a plan destined to fail because you can’t recapture that perfect combination of charismatic individuals, the allusions to the sport being the evolution of art, and the amazing bit of editing that allowed Gaines and Butler to crafts much more of a story than there really was.

“Casting” Heath and Kai in protagonist and antagonist roles was just plain dumb, and the sport has gone sooo beyond an art form when even die hard fans are screaming for aesthetics of old.

I did somewhat enjoy the Evolution of Bodybuilding DVD. Although I will point out that it was produced by Shawn Ray and the folks at Muscular Development, so of course you’ll find a few instances of somewhat skewed perspectives (ie. constantly coming back to Steve Blechman to give his expert opinions on everything -lol)

S

5 Likes

It looks like it’ll be the best thing since “Power Unlimited.” I’ve watched the trailer probably ten times and still get chills during some of the training footage. I really hope it doesn’t disappoint.

1 Like

I love treasure planet,

great video:

1 Like

I think it had potential. The guy who lives a simple life, has very little, never had much, grew up in a foster home and is very humble & introspective Vs. The guy who lives an extravagant lifestyle, came from a tight family, seemingly had lots given to him and is brash and outspoken.

The issue was Phil and Kai do a better job in real life than the Generation Iron guys did at creating tension. At least Phil and Kai were split by a hair, Lou came fourth in the pumping iron Olympia!

Just watched the trailer… Seems much more focused on the social media aspect, getting your name out there and being “successful” in that regard. Is that accurate?

Seems like something I might throw on in the background while I’m working on something or bullshitting on the web.

Also, lots of Rich Piana in the trailer…

1 Like

I don’t know how or what you know about kai fostering that image when it really wasn’t true, but the guy has had a beautiful house for years and years and kept his ratty old apartment just to film videos in it.

You’ll also find plenty of people who dislike him for mooching off the system for so long as unprotective member of society. Couple that with his horrible attempt to sound so much deeper and more intelligent than he is, and maybe I just had a very difficult time even though I honestly believe he had the potential to beat Phil

S

5 Likes