The Flame-Free Confession Thread

Will be doing that myself in a weeks time when I go Disney with the
family

1 Like

That_is_ how normal people live. Unfortunately, the majority of normal Americans are overweight/obese and on multiple meds to treat the diseases caused by their eating. They also look miserable most of the time… Except at the buffet. Everyone’s happy at the buffet.

4 Likes

Confession:

I just walked out on my 2nd shift of a new job and have never felt so pathetic or ashamed

1 Like

There’s a whole new level of stupidity and pain after the 13 mile mark.

Be sure to hydrate.

What happened?

I’ve given in to the Overwhelming Negativity caused by the Millennial Media and Fake News.

FIRE BUTCH JONES!

This is not acceptable!

The job was supposed to be washing dishes, then I found out on tonight that also meant cleaning almost half the kitchen vielrtually alone and helping with closing.

Because of this, instead of finishing at 11:30, when my scheduled shift (no break, btw) was supposed to end, I had another 1.5 hours at least left.

Honestly, I bitched out and couldnt do it. The work is dirty, wet and unpleasant, and I don’t need the job too much anyways (high school)

1 Like

I had the same job for 2 months, don’t blame ya.
Just dont put it on your CV

1 Like

I’ve pot washed in my time, hard work and had a great time with the chefs and helped me save up some decent cash for law school. But yeah, 1.5 beyond your stated hours isn’t good. Even after a crazy shift I would be heading home well before midnight…

Confession - 3 beers and half a bottle of red wine. Holiday isn’t it!

edit y’know what, having read that back I’ve realised how far I’ve come from the young man who sank 15 pints of Guinness and two donner kebabs on St Patrick’s day 2010 and thought nothing of it.

3 Likes

Chalk it up as lesson learned.

I can do all kinds of stuff day in and day out under ridiculous conditions if I like what I’m doing.

On the other hand- I would never even think about working in a restaurant.

4 Likes

I started my illustrious career as a “Lot Boy” at a fast food restaurant. Hosed down the lot from 7-9, then made ham and cheese sandwiches until ten. Five days a week in the Summer as a fourteen year old.

I’ve had worse jobs.

One was as a busser at an Ihop when I was fifteen. At least that’s how it was advertised. I actually got bullied into washing dishes for eight hours straight. I bowed up on the second shift and I got to bus tables for an hour, then washed dishes for the other eight.

I quit. Fuck that - $2.65 an hour in 1984.

You should never be ashamed to work. Any work is honorable. It may not fit your path, and you are totally okay to make that decision, but never be ashamed or feel pathetic about working.

I picked strawberries for about five dollars a day when I was eleven. Had a paper route that made me about $100 a month when I was twelve. Another one that paid about $400 a month when I was fourteen. Then the lot job, followed by cashier, pizza maker, etc . . . all work is honorable.

Now I teach high school and miss waiting tables. Go figger.

4 Likes

Man, I used to kill it selling newspapers at an intersection on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

Paper was a dollar but almost everybody would hand me a five and tell me to keep the change. On Christmas some would hand out a $10 or $20.

Sell a hundred papers between 8:00am and noon, come home with $3-$400.00. Not a bad gig for a 10 year old.

2 Likes

I worked in a kitchen for 2 and half years as a cook and a dishwasher. This is what every job in the back is like. Not gonna lie, I would have talked so much shit about you if I worked with you and you walked out. Pretty fucked up. Working in a kitchen is hard, shitty work. I had moldy jeans, beat up elbows and hands, and would always work an hour or two after shifts ended because we got so fucked up. The take away from this is that you should never work in a kitchen again because they’re all the same.

The restaurant I worked in went through 4 dishwashers before I came in January after being open since October. After me leaving, they went through another 6 in a matter of two months. Takeaway: Unless you need money, don’t be a dishwasher

3 Likes

I met my misses when I worked as a pot washer is a pub many moons ago. We were both very young and she didn’t like me at all back then. We met a few years later and hit it off and the rest is 20+ years of history. We still laugh about how shit the jobs were back then and also how she thought I was an ass !! So sometimes good things come from the worst jobs!

4 Likes

Love these types of stories!

Met my wife in an interesting manner:

Had a drunken night with friends back about 12 years ago. Woke up on a park bench with no phone. Made it back to my apt, got washed up, and dropped by the cell phone store to buy a new one on the way to the gym (go figure). Pretty, young girl helped me. I had a hoodie on, and looked like absolute death from No sleep and a hangover. Guess she felt bad for me. She was very nice, polite, gorgeous (didn’t even try to hit on her with the manner I was in, figured no chance). So I’m driving to the gym and I get a random text. It was her! She asked me out (against her company policy) I said yes, and she paid for dinner. We’ve been married over 10 years and have 2 girls together.

Glad she had the balls to ask, bc I didn’t haha.

12 Likes

I’m sure I’ll be collapsing and crying when the 13 is up. Not just because of the run, but the long swim and 50 mile bike ride preceding it as well.

This was one of my first jobs as a kid. You’re not missing much.

2 Likes

yeah I don’t really get it. I would be so happy living that lifestyle

It’s wild that restaurant to restaurant, over the years, across the different continents, everyone has the same problem.

Dish washing sucks, and it’s hard to get anyone to stay back there to do it. It’s like an emotional/mental thing.

Is there no effective management strategy for this? 2 dishwashers? Give dude a radio? No all time dishwashers, but make kitchen dudes rotate shifts back there? Change the lay-out of the “Dish Pitt” so it’s more pleasant? Tip outs for dish-bros?

2 Likes

With the right support, you too can not get to the gym and eat sticky chicken wings and avoid broccoli at all costs.

2 Likes

These would all be effective, but cost the profit margin. Dish washers are a dime a dozen and in ready supply, so Managers/owners are perfectly content to fuck em over and make their job miserable if it means they can milk the bottom line. They don’t care because they can have a replacement in 5 minutes

1 Like