The Flame-Free Confession Thread

My girlfriend wants to start working out with me and, while it’d be cool if we had another shared interest, I’m not 100% ok with it.

At times …he has seemed to have strained slightly from how he originally presented the core concepts of the system to begin with. But he created it and it has evolved from its original infancy which in some cases is inevitable . The main question is has the changes improved it or not?

Training with a romantic partner is an awful idea.

Same with friends.

And humans.

14 Likes

I honestly have never found a good training partner. I’ve lifted with some strong individuals, but I never seem to get a good session in when lifting with others. Too much talk time, confusion as to what to do, stripping and putting on different plates, etc.

1 Like

I hate it when people slam weights when they don’t need to. If you have to bail on a heavy squat or have just pulled triple your body weight then that’s fair enough. But dude you just hit a 40kg OHP for ten reps and you’re jacked, stop slamming it when you 're rack, the delightful blonde in the rack next to you didn’t look over.

1 Like

I find the conflict with training partners is always going to be that either you are more passionate than them or they are more passionate than you.

I refuse to bend at this point. Co-workers always ask me about joining me for a workout, and I say “Awesome; I train in my garage at 0500. You are always welcome to attend”

No takers.

4 Likes

Exactly. Honestly, (to me anyway) I have a program or a plan laid out to reach my goal. If I don’t train this way because of someone else’s plan to reach their “goals” (or lack thereof) I just wasted a day or a week of training to please someone else. I really don’t enjoy company. I much prefer solitude when training or just my wife when hanging out. Most do not have that outlook and are in the gym to have fun or hang out. As we have talked about before, I am not there for a good time or to have fun. I really just want to sweat my ass off, get my work done for the day and go home.

1 Like

Mine is the exact same, but at 10 at night with the same effect.

Crossfit and strongman share a lot in common
I say this because I train crossfit out of a strongman gym, an environment I highly recommend

1 Like

Yup. People want to rag on crossfit, but it’s got a lot of valuable skills to carryover.

3 Likes

Training, imo, is just training
It’s really only ‘crossfit’ at the competitions.
Strong is still strong and fit is still fit

4 Likes

I’m sort of surprised you feel this way. I like the idea of sharing mutual interests, training together is one of my lady and I’s favorite pastimes.

Of course, we have a lot of individual interests which i think is integral

I love that my wife is an athlete, but I’m also really happy that the sport she is an athlete in is nothing like my sport. We have mutual respect and support for each other, but I’m never compelled to attempt to coach her nor is she compelled to do the same for me.

Some folks can have that sort’ve relationship, but I’ve never seen it work out. In a relationship, you are supposed to be partners and equals. When you start putting on the coach hat, you suddenly change the dynamics into superior and inferior. It’s VERY hard on the ego, and difficult to navigate.

In the few times my wife has lifted with me, I let her do whatever she wanted and applauded her effort. In the few times I have run with her, I’ve been pretty insufferable.

2 Likes

The coaching waters are difficult to navigate for sure - it took us a long time - and i think a ton of self motivation is required to be the one whom is coached. We tend defer matters to whom is the more knowledgeable one in the subject. She trusts & listens to my training advice, while i don’t question her medical advice lol.

Yeah, it’s a rocky road, but if you can navigate it, more power to you.

2 Likes

I found I cant train with my oldest son… he takes me out of my mind set

1 Like

I agree it can be touchy for sure. My wife and I are training partners in the gym, she loves bodybuilding and works harder than most anyone else in there, guys and gals both. We just got back from vacation and trained together almost every morning in an old school bodybuilding gym, fortunately we make it work together and we love training with each other. This past year we both competed on stage at the same show, it was her first time. I coached her through it, training, nutrition, posing, etc., and it worked out very well. She won her classes and is going to compete again next year. Not the typical case, but I sure am thankful that we can make it work. It’s an awesome experience to train and work hard together, definitely a different type of bond that we both enjoy.

3 Likes

I will always convince myself and others to try for PRs even if it’s unlikely to happen. I can’t help it. I get too hyped up and just want people to succeed. I once hit a 1RM front squat PR and then decided to add 20kg just to try and get on the leader board. Didn’t pan out but I’m okay with this

2 Likes

That’s pretty awesome, we can barely take a vacation together :smile:

1 Like

Virtually everyone I see in the gym who trains with their significant other half-asses it and generally don’t get anything done.

There are folks go to the gym together and leave together, but do completely different things. That seems to work out ok.

3 Likes