The Flame-Free Confession Thread

Fresno area. Ours is 50,000 sq ft. With 3 squat racks, 4 benches…about 300 different cardio apparati, rows and rows of machines, 25m pool, hot tub, steam room, dry sauna, an aerobics rooms that can hold 100. And sometimes you still can’t find room to fart.
Since our gym has easy terms, it’s the most popular with the influx of out-of-town construction workers, making it even more crowded.

1000 sq ft, 5 squat racks (options for 4-6 more) 4 benches, 12 barbells, a bunch of rarely used strongman equipment, and the only cardio machines in sight are 4 rowers that store upright.
Crossfitters get a bad rap, but the facilities can be great.

4 Likes

Real talk. The random boxes that open up around here are kind of pricey, but always have at 6-12 squat racks, tons of barbells, bumper plates, metal plates, and good gym equipment like GHR, rev hypers, etc. I really need to get out of the commercial life, but I’m broke as fuckkk

2 Likes

When I’ve worked out at the Y it was like that. A Crunch fitness moved in near where the gym I currently go to is, and everybody went there because it’s like 10 a month or something. The one I go to is a local gym, and the one I used to go to (same gym, closer location) had to be shut down because they lost so many members to Crunch. It’s sad man. No one wants to support local anymore

I asked for a discount because I wasn’t planning on attending the classes.Also, I tried to build up his pride a bit saying that since i wasn’t utilizing their high level coaches, the higher price point didn’t make as much sense. Got almost 50% off the regular membership cost.

1 Like

When you factor in that, for most people, it’s a question of “Do I want to spend $70 a month for a gym I don’t go to or $10 a month for a gym I don’t go to”, it’s a no brainer.

Whenever I hear someone say they want to open a gym, I’m curious why this person is in such a hurry to lose a lot of money. Hell; at least blow it on drugs and gambling, so you have a good story and a fun time.

It’s why I have a free blog, work a day job and invite everyone to train at my garage for free; I absolutely never want my income tied to this activity.

7 Likes

If someone asks me how long I’m going to be with a piece of equipment, then I ALWAYS tell them they are free to work in with me.

For some reason, literally 100% of the people I have made this offer to in the gym I currently use have declined.

3 Likes

If I was to open a gym it would be basically nothing but racks.

I’m surprised no one has taken you up on your offer. Hell, I wish gyms were 24/7 so I can get my workouts done early in the morning.

What do the typical gym membership cost in the US? I’ve genuinely no idea. A crossfit gym over here can cost anywhere from $150-$400 a month without a contract. That’s 1/3 of what it costs to rent a decent studio/flat for 1 person.

1 Like

The last one I looked at was around 120 and class hours or open floor hours were terrible. They closed before 6 every week day and 4 on fri, sat, sun.

We’re rushing around cleaning up before house guests get here this morning.

Wife asks “you going to take your fish oil and vitamin D?”

Me sarcastic: “kinda busy, only if you set it out on a silver platter, I can take em later tonight”

Walk by the kitchen table 10 minutes later:

20170730_093152

17 Likes

Deffo did good there, wish mine was like that

Love it! Its like poker- “I’ll see your sarcasm and raise you an actually do it!”.

4 Likes

LOL… my wife would do the same!

2 Likes

Unless you are using relatively the same weight, working in with someone sounds like a pain the ass, I’d rather just wait 5-10 minutes

Also runs too high a risk of an unsolicited squat spot if working in squats.

2 Likes

When I see this, I wonder what I’m doing wrong, because I’m changing plates between every set while training by myself.

4 Likes

I’ve never declined anyone who asked to work in, but I generally don’t ask whether I can work in with someone unless I’m really pressed for time.

I just like to move on my own pace. Plus some people take working in as license to become chatty.

You could be someone who benches 500lb for reps and I’d still not be terribly interested in talking with you while I’m lifting.

Funny as hell.

I wouldn’t say its wrong, just different. Surely you know there are people who dont do that, right? For example, almost every variation of 5/3/1 does a “sets across” type rep scheme for the work after the main lift

It doesn’t lend itself well to working in if you have to load/unload 4-8 45’s after every set, or if the other person is using rest periods that are wildly different than yours