The Flame-Free Confession Thread II

unnamed

4 Likes

Why fight it?

Cool toys and your kiddo there with you to play with them.

That’s quality time!

4 Likes

I might have the unpopular opinion, but what makes a guy “Alpha” to me might be a bit different.

Patience, Sensitivity, Honesty, Understanding, Acceptance, Kindness, Respect, etc. Shit that an individual has to work on within themselves. Obviously there’s Strength, Fortitude, Commitment, Providing, Protection. Stuff that men exhibit either naturally, or what’s expected of them. But the biggest thing that defines a man in my own eyes, is his ability to recognize it’s just him against himself. Men have their charm and wits about them. They smell different. I don’t completely understand them, and yet they’re rather simple. Well, most of them.

That’s why, when I see men trying to outdo one another, or validate pretty much anything based on this typical “Alpha” construct, I immediately just picture two insecure kids fighting over who gets to play with the firetruck in the sandbox. Don’t give a shit how old they are either.

3 Likes

Touché

You forgot crapteia

2 Likes

That would be the opposite of an alpha, wouldn’t it?

I’ve always thought the term “alpha” was used to describe a hierarchical position.

Chimps scream, posture and display their balls at others to signify their positions. Sounds a lot like the “alpha as fuck” bros to me lol.

3 Likes

But is the loudest guy showing his balls really in charge of anyone?

1 Like

Well, he tweets lots of funny shit too.

J/k

5 Likes

Sorry, I couln’t resist that lol.

It depends on the type of society. In modern society, displays of power and dominance come in other form like I wrote several posts above.

2 Likes

I wrote a response but deleted it to keep from derailing this thread :wink:.

I’m behind, but based on what I read in The Stupid Thread 2 I feel like I can’t trust any source I read. Regardless of the source, someone on the other side will say it’s fake or misconstrued.

1 Like

I dunno. I’ve never lived anywhere with a free press so I don’t trust the news in general. Politics is weird. I have been called a nazi and a liberal snowflake depending on my views on different standalone issues.

2 Likes

Don’t you know politics is a team sport? You’re either all in or you’re against us!

1 Like

True alpha may sit and tolerate others until alpha needs to be displayed in a crisis situation.

The bad ass mfer sniper from Texas (Chris Kyle) was alpha af and was not loud or put himself in lead position.

Clint Eastwood in his movies was lone wolf alpha didn’t lead shit but was in charge of situations when he was needed.

The chest beater, ball show routine is what beta males do to pretend to be alpha. True alphas are recognized not telling people they are alpha. I’m not even sure a true alpha even thinks about it or tries to be alpha they just are alpha.

I think the discussion of alpha is dumb af.

5 Likes

I think you’re referring to something like Type A vs Type B personalities. I can’t find any definition of “alpha” other than a hierachical position, with betas and others being the different types of subordinate roles.

If it’s a position, then the traits needed to fulfill that role evolves with society.

It’s like in Sin City where Mickey Rouke’s character is described as someone who would have been celebrated during the gladiator times because he has the psychological makeup and ability to cause great physical violence.

But in the present day, he is a pariah being ostrasized, jailed and hunted and has to take psychiatric drugs to control his mental state.

I’ll take the role of the zeta male. Leave me alone and keep your balls to yourself.

2 Likes

Three things that has my intressed peaked … Place to push prowler the stones and the log.

1 Like

If you can go without getting into a year contract, it may be worth it for the equipment and spend some time with your son. Who knows, you may enjoy it. May also hate it and want to drag a few members behind the prowler :joy:

2 Likes

The reason everyone has a different idea of what Alpha is, is because The whole concept of “alpha male” is based on a self-debunked wolf research paper anyway (as in the author of the original research has since stated his observations and conclusions were erroneous and that the male-on-male fighting for dominance was actually a dad playing with his kids).

The idea that there is a single, strong, physically and sexually dominant male in a pack surrounded by a bunch of subservient betas who bangs all the chicks is mostly a myth.

In fact, the original original paper that used “alpha male” was referring to hens and their “pecking order”, so it was actually referring to the female of the species.

Obviously there are people (and animals) who exhibit behavior that we would typically call “alpha”, but different people fill different roles at different times. One guy could be a “leader” one day and then be perfectly content to “follow” some other person in another endeavor they don’t know a lot about.

Which is to say, most of the alpha male talk people go on about is bullshit anyway, and has largely been influenced by marketing and a social image rather than actual science.

Here’s an article summarizing the whole thing, although I guess I basically just did: There's No Such Thing As an Alpha Male

3 Likes

Not true. There is an abundance of research on non-human primates. A actual hierarchical social structure is normally complex. Wolves don’t have enough intelligence to organize themselves in such a manner.

This is wrong the Big 5 Personality Traits have A LOT of science behind it. Problem is you are all describing personal preferences and what you all “feel” a real man/alpha is. What does raising a family have to do with being alpha? What does that even mean? No, certain personality traits will better equip a man to raise/protect a family. Same traits that may make a person better to run a company, start a business, lead during war etc. Being high in consciousness, higher IQ, lower agreeableness, low neuroticism.

Patience, Sensitivity, Honesty, Understanding, Coldness are character traits. All this does is romanticize the idea of what a man is/should be.

2 Likes