The Flame-Free Confession Thread II

What’s messed up is people will use the term bro science if they can’t find a study for something. Even if guys have been doing it for decades in the gym and seeing results.

3 Likes

We’re in a very weird part of our culture where 1 study, no matter how poorly performed, recorded or understood, will outweigh a million anecdotes.

2 Likes

Reminds about a study I heard about done a few years ago. Over at Kansas University they wanted to study if squat suits and bench shirts would increase the amount one could lift.
Kinda goes with the subject at hand.

1 Like

Lol. Even in modern medicine there are things doctors do based on what has worked over the years even if they aren’t fully understood yet or has yet to be formally published in a paper

1 Like

Haha well based on entry criteria for most studies the participants will only have to have been loosely ‘training’ for a few years. From what I’ve heard about how technical their use is, I suspect they might get mixed results on whether they increase squat and bench performance.

1 Like

Next gym shirt.

On the subject of hard work I was browsing through a copy of Chris Duffin’s book with various life stories and I adjusted my mindset of “I’m a hard worker” to “I barely put any effort in, really”. He cuts something like 30 pounds of water weight to make his weight class by spending I don’t know how many hours in the sauna with clothes on and pre-inserted IV-injection sites in-case he needs an IV knowing that his veins might be too constricted to set one if it’s not already done beforehand.

Imagine if he invested all that energy into getting stronger so he could win at a higher weight class…

Flame free

6 Likes

What do you mean, if?!

That’s my point. Someone thought it was worth studying it.

That sounds a lot like behavioral econ- Thaler literally got a Nobel prize by “discovering” people create categories when budgeting and stick to them :laughing:

1 Like

I mean, I’d get studying the degree of carryover. That would be interesting, if the study was done properly. But asking if they let you lift more weight is like asking if an air supply lets you survive under water longer.

Exactly

I’d get it if someone was really hard pressed in deciding what to study if they needed something to get their degree, but a controlled study is a really bad way of answering that question. No study design, outside of recruiting 100 experienced powerlifters and doing a cross-over, would give a better answer than just doing some statistical analysis on all the meet results on open powerlifting. There’s more than enough data there to get meaningful averages.

4 Likes

BD%20shit

Nothing sucks more than a session that feels like 100% drudgery.

2 Likes

“Do you really need to rest 15 minutes between sets?”
"Today I do. And I’m not resting, I’m talking myself out of walking away

5 Likes

I hear you! That’s the type of session I had.

1 Like

I won’t lie. A couple of times I had to talk myself into walking back into the gym after having already stepped out

1 Like

That was my session yesterday- deadlifts the day after high volume squats.

You kind of question the reason for going to the gym when the first thing you do is drop a barbell on your foot then proceed to stub your toe and almost pass out trying to get the plate on the bar :laughing:
Funny thing was, I was so out of it, I barely notice the pain.

@samul Luckily, my foot doesn’t look like yours

2 Likes

It’s funny because you dropped a barbell on yours and it still doesn’t look as bad as mine, without anything happening to it lol

Yeah, IDK how that works. It banged pretty loud
Normally, I probably would have gone “OW! Fuck! SHIT! DAMN THIS FUCKING SHIT”
Yesterday, I was like: oh, dropped a barbell on my foot- I guess this is supposed to hurt…