The First Presidential Debate

Did he focus on her looks? FTR, I don’t consider an abbreviated statement coupled with the statement about stamina to be focused. Touched on for about half a second, sure, but not focused.

I just figured it was just an up day after two down days. Not unusual or out of synch from their usual behavior.

Definitely was an onslaught on Trump. No discussion of emails or benghazi or Hillary’s connection to Saudi Arabia.

Trumps birtherism was hammered but immigration (an issue that’s front and center this election) was never mentioned

I’ve never figured out how the media (including a number of fake “fact check” websites) can say with a straight face that Hillary was not herself the original birther.

The entire thing started with some emails from her campaign, then took off running when Phillip Berg (her supporter and a lawyer) filed a lawsuit in PA to get Obama kicked off the ballot. Here:

Yet you can look at supposed news sites like MSNBC and the like and they jump all over Trump for essentially running with the ball that Hillary threw.

Wait are you talking financial or betting? I read some stuff indicating that investors liked Clinton’s result, e.g.,

…but I meant bettors’ contracts:

I was asking in a going forward hypothetical type approach. The question was about Trump’s remark, I don’t think he was focusing on it, but there was attention to it.

[quote=“Jewbacca, post:65, topic:221940, full:true”]
The entire thing started with some emails from her campaign[/quote]

Aren’t you a lawyer? How is it possible that you can get the simple facts of this so wrong?

Your source says that “an anonymous email circulated by supporters of Mrs. Clinton” questioned Obama’s citizenship status. That isn’t “her campaign.” (Or are you under the impression that, say, rabidly anti-Semitic drivel circulated by Trump supporters can be pinned to Trump’s campaign? If so you must be donating to Hillary’s Super PACs daily, right?) A volunteer with her campaign forwarded such an email and was quickly fired for it. I wonder if the Trump volunteer with the white nationalist tattoos has been fired yet?

Again, this doesn’t even come remotely close to implicating Hillary Clinton in birtherism. This guy was one of her (millions of) supporters. That’s it. There is no evidence that she had anything to do with this, and ample evidence that he was just a nut conspiracy theorist who also tried to prosecute Bush for 9/11.

By contrast,Trump was himself bumbling like an idiot about Obama’s birth certificate during this very election cycle.

So, in short, absolutely nothing you’ve offered here in any way suggests that Hillary was “the original birther.”

2 Likes

I was looking at financials. They are and have been a bit lack luster for a couple of months. Zooming out from a one day view to a quarterly tells a better tale of their performance than a single day chart.

I didn’t know that there actually was a betting market until this very moment.

Oh. I doubt he’s going to head down that road with her. There is plenty of actual stuff to cast aspersions about that he left untouched. Besides, she isn’t lacking in composure to the extent that Cruz and Rubio were to fall into that trap and onto their own swords.

It worked ingeniously well with them because it was them.

2 Likes

And you tried to convince us that Trump’s resurrection of this issue was a masterstroke. Now he looks like an idiot and a liar, and is having to eat shit sandwiches on an issue that should be dead, buried, and decomposing.

Masterstroke indeed.

Hilarious.

2 Likes

In that cut and color of suit she looks like she’s running to be the First Empress of the Kung Pao dynasty.

1 Like

Even a new student would recognize sweet & sour Pork when they encounter it, young Grasshopper.

3 Likes

That’s right, I forgot that this was heralded as a genius move…Oops

2 Likes

“Donald Trump is quite literally the first person ever to suggest that Iran could stop the North Korean nuclear program. That he is saying something so outlandish before one of the biggest TV audiences in history suggests that he is not only ignorant but also — and even more worrying — uneducable.”

I don’t always agree with Max Boot, but he is as smart as they come. He’s called this election with a keen eye. And that quotation above – that’s the measure of it. We are at a unique moment in modern American history. The stupidity underlying such a nonsensical suggestion as Trump’s Iran/DPRK delusion is so total that it becomes almost incomprehensible. If someone said such a bizarre and idiotic thing in the Iran Deal thread, he’d be laughed off the board.

1 Like

He would be hit with it regardless might as well get free airtime in the process

No, he wouldn’t - the issue was long settled. No one cared about it in 2016, until Trump injected it into the debate, lying about his role.

The main Avenue of attack for the left is to paint Trump as racist and for this reason birtherism would be brought up regardless.

Need proof? They brought up a lawsuit from 1972 for the same reason. That’s right a damn near ~50 year old lawsuit

By the way is it common knowledge that cnn is owned by Time Warner which is one of Hillary Clintons top donators?

That issue was raised because it hadn’t been hashed out yet and was ripe to use as ammunition, especially since it is relevant to Trump’s touting of his business success.

No one has mentioned or cared about birtherism for years. Obama isn’t on the ballot. Trump injected an issue that hurts him into the debate, and far from “getting out ahead of it”, he lied as to how it all went down, and the most cursory search on Google proved him a liar. A foolish, unforced error.

You’re really quite clueless as to American politics, aren’t you?