The First Presidential Debate

Skyzyks:

It just was a bad political move…and political moves tend to not always be evenhanded or “fair”.

I agree with others, that Trump should have learned from the Fiorina fiasco that bringing up looks; when it comes to a female candidate; is not a good political move when you are struggling with that demographic.

This quote from Clinton pissed me off, the first half anyway

“who has said women don’t deserve equal pay unless they do as good a job as men and one of the worst things he said was about a woman in a beauty contest, he loves beauty contests, supporting them and hanging around them”

She basically criticized Trump for saying pay should be based on performance

2 Likes

Apparently, only if the target is female. A president needs to be strong enough to withstand insults. If she’s not then she’s not strong enough to be POTUS. Period. Whining about bullying (as I’ve seen repeatedly) is counterproductive to feminism in my humble (and male) opinion. I still miss The Iron Lady.

2 Likes

Agreed, our enemies are not going to go easy on us simply because we have a female president.

2 Likes

It’s funny, but it gets at something serious. Trump’s answers on “nuclear” and “cyber” were disqualifying. Forget everything else: You can’t be POTUS if you can’t create and express coherent thoughts about national security issues.

People know this implicitly. It’s why the markets said she won, and it’s why she’s going to be up at least 2 more points by Monday.

For the first time in a while, this thing seems over and done with. People get smart real quick when the stakes are high. The average voter will enter the booth, recognize the face of doom, and shun it. I’m not even sure a bombshell from Assange’s Kremlin handlers could undo the damage that two more debates will do to Trump.

The markets also had the Brexit vote losing.

Many times in this election has the idea that this is over and done with come up and been wrong.

2 Likes

x2 quite the opposite

You are picking it up wrong, and not understanding that it is not about being right/wrong, it is how it will be perceived. Attacking the first female candidate on her looks is not a good strategy, even if it is true.

I also used the example for her attacking his looks (hair and skin color) and how that would be bad startegy for her.

I’ll put it another way, how does Trump focusing on Clinton’s looks help him? Specifically with women voters?

I’m not saying they predict a win in November. I’m saying their movement tells us something about who won last night. It is clear Clinton won, and it will be even more clear over the next 5 days.

The November prediction is mine. Trump is simply too stupid to manage a win. It is that simple. Maybe I am overestimating the American electorate. I hope not – for all of our sakes.

Aside: I don’t think Brexit tells us anything about this race. The comparison just doesn’t hold when you get into the breadth and quality of polling, the material differences between a referendum and an election, etc. If anything, Clinton’s ground game will probably push her to outperform her polls on election day.

I personally think the election is far from over.

The bottom line is that Trump is spending a fraction of what Clinton is; he pretty much says what he wants; and despite it all, they are close or even in almost all of the Polls.

Clinton wasn’t a superstar, but she didn’t have to be. All she really needed to do was to show she is prepared. She was.

Clinton performed like a game managing quarterback - studied film after hours, knew the defense she was playing against, executed a conservative game plan, dinked and dunked, success is defined as not turning the ball over, avoided her weaknesses.

Against an opponent like Trump, that’s all she needed to do in this first debate, especially to appeal to undecideds.

Trump had good moments early on trade and TPP, but quickly got flummoxed and showed he’s out of his depth in the latter part. To the average undecided voter who isn’t a political junkie, Trump appeared simply unqualified for the job.

I suspect he’ll try some sound and fury at the next debate, since he will continue to do poorly if it is a straight debate on competence and policy in the future.

From a paper that endorsed him:

The market has wanted a Clinton win from day 1, so there movement is somewhat of a moot point. I think she did well and put the issue of her health at ease for those who were worried about it.

Trump is incredibly stupid, agree with you there. Beyond his stupidity, is the people’s desire that our system needs a good flush. This is where Trump’s popularity arises, he manages to package it in an entertaining way. People want the new shiny object, which happens to be his foul mouth.

I don’t see the Brexit vote as anything more than the experts don’t know a whole lot more than any of us do, and how out of touch they are with the electorate. Clinton does have a better ground machine, but as Mufasa pointed out, he managed to do this well while spending a fraction of what she has and being a political rookie.

Does this not prove his point about management and competence ?

1 Like

Ya, this gave me a good chuckled. She’s such a fucking assclown.

:laughing:

2 Likes

Wow. Just fucking wow.

1 Like

Trump has sworn to “take the gloves off” in the next debate.

Should be interesting.

I can’t distinguish satire and reality any more.

2 Likes

I think unvarnished cynicism is necessary for survival

1 Like