The First Bakery Decision

Why stop with just this one way? Just because a business offers a cheaper product doesn’t necessarily follow that it’s not at least comparable. They might have innovated a cheaper way to bring it to market, they could have negotiated down costs while maintaining quality - some other kind of efficiency improvement without sacrificing quality. This is probably one of the most common ways a business provides a good at lower costs.

I guess I’m just not sure why you think the product necessarily has to be inferior in quality?

how are you qualifying the quality of food? What’s the standard? Price of food doesn’t necessarily denote quality.

There’s a seafood restaurant in the city near where I live that offers some relatively low priced dishes for some fresh, high quality seafood. How do I know? I eat there, I know the owner of the restaurant who also operates his own fishing vessels that provide the restaurant with fresh, quality seafood.

What do you think the proportion of restaurants are that do this wrt the proportion of their competition and the propensity of restaurant goers?

But that isn’t the example I gave. I stated it was cheaper but not better. I didn’t say cheaper is always not better or comparable. But I know, as my family had a restaurant, that there were competitors who used inferior ingredients. Their inferiority was not even debatable but they didn’t say they used inferior ingredients. Interestingly, they weren’t cheaper.

Why didn’t your family start using the inferior ingredients its would-be customers apparently wanted? Competitors used inferior products while charging equal prices and managed to shut drive your family out of business? Fuck. I’m going to quit my job and start selling dirt from my backyard at the same price supermarkets charge for cocoa powder. The people love inferior products at equal prices.

You just stated one way to measure quality: fresh seafood vs frozen or canned. And are the restaurants that are not using the same quality of seafood telling customers that their food is not of the best quality?

I wouldn’t know but I do know many restaurants, I have worked in some, take shortcuts and use frozen and canned ingredients when fresh is an option and even simply heat up prepared products.

I bet they would tell their customers, if asked. Maybe everyone doesn’t have the same priorities, zecarlo. There’s another guy with a “z” username that has always wanted to force his priorities on everyone else.

Because we aren’t scum bags.

No, they didn’t drive us out of business.

That’s why they eat at McDonald’s rather than cook their own burgers with better beef for less money.

So now there’s a ranking system for protected classes?

And you would be wrong. An employee might tell you the truth but a manager or owner? No way.

Obviously. That’s why I’m not a fat unhealthy slob like most people lining up for fast and cheap food.

You are half right, if anything. I don’t want to force my priorities on anyone. I could say that is you as you want to get rid of the health department in order to force your religion (the free market) on everyone else. I would rather not have something with no soul or mind define morality for humans.

Well, you used the past tense when talking about your family’s restaurant.

Nope.

Nazis and satanists are protected classes?

Nazis are not a protected class at all. Satanists might enjoy some religious freedoms but that wouldn’t allow them to commit murder or acts of animal cruelty. So you are saying that being a Nazi is the same as being gay (does that mean being gay is a choice or that one is born a Nazi?) or the same as being a murderer or someone who tortures animals.

Thanks for being my evidence lol

Right. I asked how you would given the scenario. Not everyone has the same standard for what is or isn’t quality and also what is or isn’t pricey or expensive or cheap or whatever qualifier you want to use relative to income and/or purchasing power…

To my knowledge, no. There’s a shitty, fired seafood place down the road from the restaurant I mentioned earlier. You can get fish and ship and fried clam plates there for about $2-$3 less but I have not seen them say anything about the “quality” … coincidentally, there’s another place that has slightly more expensive seafood than the first place that also does not mention the quality of their dishes - in their case the proof is in the pudding - they’re god damned amazing - their swordfish was top notch and their lunch prices were amazing.

Which could no longer exist for a host of reasons. You assumed only one possibility for some reason.

You do, in fact, want to force your priorities on everyone else. You want the state(that is, the agency with a monopoly on the lawful initiation of force) to decide which businesses are and aren’t permitted. The free market is not a religion in any way, shape, or form. Who is talking about the free market defining morality for humans? Are you kidding me?

“Well, they should. My standards are all that matter. Ima help dem peeps be like me.”-zecarlo

Uh, no. I am not talking about word of mouth but what I witnessed. Also, anyone who watches Kitchen Nightmares would know all of this. And those restaurants continue to operate so these negative consequences apparently don’t apply.

I think that we would agree that fresh seafood is superior to frozen.

Yet, it is still open so there is more to remaining open than selling the best quality food.

Look at cars. One company will have a well-earned reputation for quality while another company which is not known for its quality will still sell cars.

this is why we can’t have nice things

Yes. “Uncultured swine like @polo77j and @NickViar are the reason we can’t have nice things.”-zecarlo

You are. The free market should decide what is morally acceptable for a business to do. Discrimination is a moral issue. Telling us that the free market should deal with it is deferring moral authority to the free market.

Not exactly. First off the state is the people. Second, this is not about what businesses are permitted but what businesses are permitted to do with regard to the public…the people who the state exists to protect.

Nice things like food poisoning or banning blacks from establishments?