The First Bakery Decision

Keep religion out of government.

Has nothing to do with selling a cake.

But it does mean you don’t contribute to their pain or suffering.

Keep your government from trespassing against my religious conscience/teaching. Open your own wedding related business and let us be free to associate with who we wish.

It doesn’t mean you get to be offended and cause me to act contrary to the very clearly stated teachings. Call another wedding servicer…The horror!!!

Be consistent with that and maybe it can be taken seriously.

You can always start your own country.

Which teachings? Love thy neighbor or no homo cakes?

Move to the Middle East.

The irony from someone wanting to use force in such an uncompromising way…

The new inquisition.

And who started the inquisition?

The irony, or maybe not, from someone who is in favor of bigotry hiding behind religion.

The old one? We did. Now don’t repeat our mistakes. Love you bro, but this is going on too long!

Not we, those like you. And show a homosexual you love him by baking a cake.

If you are comfortable making such comparisons, cakes for specific celebrations/the inquisition, feel free. For me, the conversation has gotten repetitive and pointless. Take care.

"The Supreme Court is setting aside a Colorado court ruling against a baker who wouldn’t make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple. But the court is not deciding the big issue in the case, whether a business can refuse to serve gay and lesbian people.

The justices’ limited ruling Monday turns on what the court described as anti-religious bias on the Colorado Civil Rights Commission when it ruled against baker Jack Phillips. The justices voted 7-2 that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission violated Phillips’ rights under the First Amendment."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/justices-side-colorado-baker-same-sex-wedding-cake-142744589--politics.html

7-2, that’s surprising.

And kind of encouraging.

1 Like

I’ve blasted through (in like 5 minutes) the opinion. It’s 60+ pages long.

This isn’t over; the SCOTUS dodged the actual question and basically sent it back to the lower courts who just ignored the religious aspect of the desire to not make a special cake.

If I was a betting man, I suspect this will shake out that an off-the-shelf product must be sold, but a custom product that involves some kind of expression or participation (i.e., a cake with two dudes on the top) would not be required.

It’s a pretty reasonable compromise.

3 Likes

The baker, Jack Phillips, has stated that he has no issue selling cakes in general to anyone of any sexual orientation. The conflict revolved around a wedding cake, specifically. Are we really unable to fashion language that allows people of any group to obtain food, water, and medicine, without facing hurdles or outright exclusion, without making room for very specific circumstances? Are we really that unimaginative? Surely some bright bulb(s) could make sure people are allowed to fill their bellies and get their medicines, while still allowing an unassuming Christian baker to both earn his living with his talent while still being able to not trespass against sacraments of his faith. That sounds like a hell of a compromise already.

1 Like

General question to the crowd as I’m usually outdated on religious matters. Does the Bible actually prohibit being involved in a homosexual marriage or are people interpreting these situations to mean “if you bake them a cake you’re supporting the union” kinda thing.

Not gonna lie, always felt a bit lost irt Catholics not wanting to bake cakes for gay people