T Nation

The Fifth Republican Debate

Thoughts?

I only saw a portion of the debate, but it seemed like the moderators were focused on a Cruz vs. Rubio situation.

I would like those who saw it to chime in, the only part I caught was when Carly Fiorina bring up the tech failure with checking social media of the black widow San Bernardino wife.

If you’re looking for the “winner” last night, Cruz. He is totally in his element in debate and made Rubio look foolish.

Kasich was trying to karate chop a fly the entire night.

CNN was certainly more sneaky than CNBC was in terms of getting the panel to fight with one another. Whereas CNBC randomly tried to take the panel apart by creating a brawl CNN was more calculated.

They wanted to harm Rubio as in recent polls he is the only one that is shown to be able to beat Hillary (not that cross party polls this early mean anything). So, they pitted the best debater Ted Cruz against Rubio. Rubio made several mistakes. One was asking Cruz a question which is always a mistake in any debate as that tosses the time back to the person you asked the question of. And Cruz being a master debater took full advantage. Cruz won the exchanges with Rubio.

On the other hand CNN wants Trump to get the nomination so they continually pitted Jeb Bush against him knowing that Trump can easily defeat Jeb in most exchanges.

The big loser of the night was Rance Prebius the retarded head of the republican party. He’s a disgrace for even agreeing to the debate on CNN. If you notice the democrats will not debate on FOX. They know what they’d be walking into. On the other hand Prebius continually makes these types of mistakes. And not just this time around but also last time. Allowing Candy Crowly a left wing feminist to be the single moderator of one of the Obama/Romney debates.

Rance never learns and needs to be replaced.

As for the winner of the debate. Here’s my take on the top three:

1. Ted Cruz

2. Chris Chritie

3. Jeb Bush (better than usual)

Cruz is definitely a ballsy and confident candidate, he should really be the front-runner by rights. The GOP needs to start dropping some of the 3-4%-ers out of the race sooner than later. Jeb is getting caught up trying to play Trump’s game. I’ve seen Jeb interviewed on recent news programs and he comes off a lot better in those. I actually saw a Jeb commercial a few days back.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
Cruz is definitely a ballsy and confident candidate, he should really be the front-runner by rights. The GOP needs to start dropping some of the 3-4%-ers out of the race sooner than later. Jeb is getting caught up trying to play Trump’s game. I’ve seen Jeb interviewed on recent news programs and he comes off a lot better in those. I actually saw a Jeb commercial a few days back.[/quote]

I think Cruz is going to take a hit regarding his involvement with the gang of 8 bill. They were playing some clips on Brett Baier’s show and he clearly was for legalization in 2013 and now is not. Candidates flip flop, it happens, but he’s been pretty adamant he was never for legalization.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Cruz is definitely a ballsy and confident candidate, he should really be the front-runner by rights. The GOP needs to start dropping some of the 3-4%-ers out of the race sooner than later. Jeb is getting caught up trying to play Trump’s game. I’ve seen Jeb interviewed on recent news programs and he comes off a lot better in those. I actually saw a Jeb commercial a few days back.[/quote]

I think Cruz is going to take a hit regarding his involvement with the gang of 8 bill. They were playing some clips on Brett Baier’s show and he clearly was for legalization in 2013 and now is not. Candidates flip flop, it happens, but he’s been pretty adamant he was never for legalization. [/quote]

Unfortunately he doubled down on it with ads in Iowa. He should have just said that I see things differently now because of terrorism etc. I think he made a tactical error that will haunt him.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I think Cruz is going to take a hit regarding his involvement with the gang of 8 bill. They were playing some clips on Brett Baier’s show and he clearly was for legalization in 2013 and now is not. Candidates flip flop, it happens, but he’s been pretty adamant he was never for legalization. [/quote]

Unfortunately he doubled down on it with ads in Iowa. He should have just said that I see things differently now because of terrorism etc. I think he made a tactical error that will haunt him.
[/quote]

Agreed.

Rubio put his foreign policy and national security knowledge on display. The gap between him and the other GOP candidates in this regard is wide. His response to Trump’s nuclear triad faceplant was impressive. In his exchanges with Cruz, he clearly came out on top in regard to substance. While Cruz’s delivery was solid, he was playing fast and loose with the facts. He also came across as an uninitiated blowhard with his carpet bombing prescription for ISIL. The GOP better hope that Rubio is the nominee in 2016.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

What Cruz said is accurate:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

What Cruz said is accurate:

[/quote]

I’m not so sure.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Cruz voted against Gang of Eight. You are thinking of Rubio (who campaigned on strict enforcement and turned his back on his constituents). Cruz has never supported full on amnesty. “Come in out of the shadows,” does not mean grant citizenship to.

You guys who are shitting all over Cruz for “supporting” legalization need to get a real clear picture of exactly what it was he was doing. It was opposing Rubio. It was opposing the whole damned deal. Know what you are talking about before just spouting off shit that supports your biases.

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Cruz voted against Gang of Eight. You are thinking of Rubio (who campaigned on strict enforcement and turned his back on his constituents). Cruz has never supported full on amnesty. “Come in out of the shadows,” does not mean grant citizenship to.
[/quote]

I didn’t say he supported amnesty…

[quote]Cortes wrote:
You guys who are shitting all over Cruz for “supporting” legalization need to get a real clear picture of exactly what it was he was doing. It was opposing Rubio. It was opposing the whole damned deal. Know what you are talking about before just spouting off shit that supports your biases.

[/quote]

That is what Cruz is saying now anyway.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[/quote]

That is what Cruz is saying now anyway.[/quote]

Not just Cruz. I’m telling you. Do your homework on this. This is how things get done in Washington. Cruz was using one of the tools available to him. Rubio’s trying to do a hatchet job on Cruz because it’s the only way he can justify his own inexcusable behavior.

“One of the things you’ve been hearing about somehow is a criticism of Ted and how he and what he did with regard to this massive that they tried to ram through in 2013,” Sessions said. “Let me tell you, I was there. Every step of the way, Ted Cruz was on my side and fought this legislation all the way through.”

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[/quote]

Not just Cruz. I’m telling you. Do your homework on this. This is how things get done in Washington. Cruz was using one of the tools available to him. Rubio’s trying to do a hatchet job on Cruz because it’s the only way he can justify his own inexcusable behavior.

“One of the things you’ve been hearing about somehow is a criticism of Ted and how he and what he did with regard to this massive that they tried to ram through in 2013,” Sessions said. “Let me tell you, I was there. Every step of the way, Ted Cruz was on my side and fought this legislation all the way through.”

Correct. Jeff Sessions led the charge to defeat the Gang of 8 bill in question. Here is what Sessions says about this latest Karl Rove lie:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[/quote]

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/19/defiant-jeff-sessions-on-gang-of-eight-every-step-of-the-way-ted-cruz-was-on-my-side/ [/quote]

I understand you are a big Cruz supporter and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I find that difficult with any politician not just Cruz. I will read the links though, thanks.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[/quote]

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/19/defiant-jeff-sessions-on-gang-of-eight-every-step-of-the-way-ted-cruz-was-on-my-side/ [/quote]

I understand you are a big Cruz supporter and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I find that difficult with any politician not just Cruz. I will read the links though, thanks.
[/quote]

I am a big Cruz supporter. A huge one. In this case, that makes no difference. The evidence is there. Rubio is a snake in the grass and I do not trust him one bit. Here’s an even better point by point breakdown of where both Rubio and Cruz stood on this.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
CNN was certainly more sneaky than CNBC was in terms of getting the panel to fight with one another. Whereas CNBC randomly tried to take the panel apart by creating a brawl CNN was more calculated.

They wanted to harm Rubio as in recent polls he is the only one that is shown to be able to beat Hillary (not that cross party polls this early mean anything). So, they pitted the best debater Ted Cruz against Rubio. Rubio made several mistakes. One was asking Cruz a question which is always a mistake in any debate as that tosses the time back to the person you asked the question of. And Cruz being a master debater took full advantage. Cruz won the exchanges with Rubio.

On the other hand CNN wants Trump to get the nomination so they continually pitted Jeb Bush against him knowing that Trump can easily defeat Jeb in most exchanges.

The big loser of the night was Rance Prebius the retarded head of the republican party. He’s a disgrace for even agreeing to the debate on CNN. If you notice the democrats will not debate on FOX. They know what they’d be walking into. On the other hand Prebius continually makes these types of mistakes. And not just this time around but also last time. Allowing Candy Crowly a left wing feminist to be the single moderator of one of the Obama/Romney debates.

Rance never learns and needs to be replaced.

As for the winner of the debate. Here’s my take on the top three:

1. Ted Cruz

2. Chris Chritie

3. Jeb Bush (better than usual)

[/quote]

I agree that there is some bias with CNN although not nearly as much as some make it to be, but mostly I think that was more about ratings than anything. Its the kind of stuff people like to see. Viewers want drama and conflict. It makes things a lot more interesting.