The FIFA World Cup

Lukaku’s dummy…

giphy

1 Like

I didn’t get to see the last half of ET or the penalties but the the 2Nd half was pretty poor from both sides. I hate games that have this many fouls. Not sure how I feel about England progressing. Neither team were impressive.

1 Like

Considering such a young inexperienced side England did great. Put up with a lot of crap.really kept their composure.
Colombia got off really lightly: headbutt in the box is a straight red and penalty. Fuck up for VAR also.

Not sure where the VAR was for this game. Ref totally lost control of the game in the first half.

I would of preferred Colombia to go through. Quarterfinals are going to be very interesting.

tweet

@theBird, iirc you played semi-pro.

Which team’s play (or individual) have you been most impressed with?

@Dr_Pangloss:

I think Brazil have the goods to win this tournament, although I hope they don’t, and Im also not a fan with Neymars recent antics. Such a good player, but spoils it with his childish behaviour.

Saying all that, I would give my left pinky for Croatia to win.

tweet

1 Like

Jesus that was some of the worst officiating I’ve ever seen. Who let the fucking Yanks get involved?

At least there’s only one South/Central American side left now so the level of pathetic fouling should drop off a fair bit.

Now to brick it for another four days before Sweden…

3 Likes

I haven’t seen a whole lot of the games this year so I don’t really understand this statement, if you could explain?

CONCACAF teams try to get away with a lot of shit that apparently flies over there. Probably this time a lot of it is to do with VAR catching stuff that otherwise went unnoticed.

Here, for example, is a Colombian lad scuffing up the penalty spot before England’s penalty in normal time while they are all arguing with the ref to try and put off Kane.

https://gfycat.com/WholeBrownArgali

Belgian representing. I think the scare the team had against Japan was the best thing that could happen to them. This ‘golden generation’ of ours has basically been preparing for this match against Brazil for years. I think the team has got what it takes to deliver. Brazil missing Casimiro on the midfield will be a huge plus for the Belgians.

Would also be some poetic justice for a loss in the '94 quarter finals Belgium vs Brazil where the country is still sour about a penalty we didn’t get at the end of the game…

I found the Columbians very unsportsmanlike, the English - instead of staying cool got swept up in the bad vibe as well sadly. The ref had his role to play totally losing control of the game. the amount of bickering he put up with was insane.

1 Like

I think VAR is just for “match changing incidents” right now.

It could be used to like monitor everything in real time and pull play back if necessary later on for stuff like the penalty spot sabotage or new stuff like discouraging diving and exaggerated flopping.

That’s if VAR gets properly accepted. It’s the kind of frequent break up in play and moments where nothing is going on and players/fans don’t know what’s up that some people are worried about.

I think it’s the right thing in the long term if they can implement it in a way to make everyone happy. No more blatantly wrong calls in Champions League finals and shit.

1 Like

Little game we should play until the final, where we choose our favourite XI of the remaining teams left
So at the moment we have: Uruguay, France, Belgium, Brazil, Russia, Croatia, Sweden, England

Traditional 4-3-3 formation however youre able to change it to suit your own preference
GK: Thibaut Courtious
DEF: Marcelo Varane Alderweireld Pavard
MID: Kantè Pogba Casemiro
ATT: Neymar Cavani Suarez

1 Like

Tough one. Too many good midfielders to choose from

Hmm. Does it have to be a team that’ll work together or just the best players left so far? I’m gonna go with this

GK: Alisson
DF: Trippier Godin Gimenez Pavard
MF: Kante Modric Coutinho
FW: Lukaku Kane Divemar

1 Like

Its hard, because half of me is going full FIFA and picking the highest rated players, but in the same breath I think the chem between these players IRL would be sensational
Solid team mane

I have seriously not watched near enough to make a whole team but I would have Courtois in goal, modric and Kante in midfield and most likely Lukaku as striker. I haven’t seen enough of Hazard this WC but I like his play style. Although I think Cavani up front would be useful.

1 Like

I’ve havent watched all the matches mostly just the mini matches so it’s hard to accurately judge performances but I tried my bestest.

Can’t argue with straight up scoring goals and putting away penalties when called upon like Harry Kane. So important for any team to have someone reliably and consistently banging them in like Lukaku for Belgium.

Suarez is a better striker I think but performance at the world cup wise I think these two edge him. Cavani is out injured I think but mostly I don’t fully trust him lol. I feel he is the kind of player to put away difficult chances like nothing but given time and space and simple chances his conversion rate is meh.

Uruguay’s defence has been super solid thanks in no small part to the partnership of Godin and Gimenez at the back like sitting back and absorbing all the pressure from Portugal with Ronaldo all up in your face. All throughout too because they got to the knockouts without conceding a goal.

Fullbacks was weird because no one really stood out but pavard and trippier have done the job defending and attacking and haven’t put a foot wrong.

Kante because he covers the 30% of the earths surface the rest is covered by water. Modric and Coutinho pretty self explanatory if a bit attacking minded.

Neymar because he is crucial for Brazil and often makes good things happen if only he could stop being a massive diving cunt.

2 Likes

Word.

Eriiiic:

FRA v URU 2-0 with 10 mins to go.

France a bit lucky to be 2 goals up but they’ve played the better football and created more chances. Solid in defence though Uruguay are sitting back mostly.

Uruguay have been playing dirty as with shoulder charges, stomps and elbows. Had more than a dozen balls put into the French penalty area but maybe only two decent balls that beat the first man. Really missing Cavani to make something of the half chances.

1 Like