The Fatkini

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
It’s the sheer weight that actually shocks me. I can’t imagine how big she must look in person.

I mean, here is Lee Priest at 5’4 and 200lbs or so. And here is the model at 5’5 and 260lbs.

[/quote]

And here he is at 280 or so, looking fatbulous on the beach in his bulkini.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
It’s the sheer weight that actually shocks me. I can’t imagine how big she must look in person.

I mean, here is Lee Priest at 5’4 and 200lbs or so. And here is the model at 5’5 and 260lbs.

[/quote]

And here he is at 280 or so, looking fatbulous on the beach in his bulkini.[/quote]

Not Lee Priest.

He no longer bulks in the offseason anyway.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
It’s sad, the state of affairs of our current landscape in terms of obesity and all that comes along with it.

Sure if it were solely an asthetic thing, some folks would find it attractive, others wouldn’t, and it wouldn’t be a thing. Of course knowing what we do (assuming we won’t argue on this point -lol), being excessively overweight is viewed as a negative for what could be a serious list of reasons - not all medically related mind you.

I’ve heard interviews with people who at the time, adamantly maintained that they were perfectly content being overweight. Of course after a few years, and usually a gastric bypass, they come clean to admit that they were just trying to convince themselves.

I won’t say anything negative about how she looks, because looks are always a personal preference, but, considering that this woman is 5’5 and 260, I think back to when I was so focused on increasing my body weight. At 5’8, and I like to think an ok amount of muscle, when I got close to 220, my knees hurt, I got out of breath… basically I wasn’t singing n dancing all day long because I was happy.

I’m not saying we need to shame anyone, ever, but things like this just seem a little… off.

S[/quote]

Know what the really dangerous thing about this trend is?

There are now large groups that just go out and say that doctors talking about the medical issues associated with obesity is

1- another form of fat shaming
2- Lies invented in order to make people conform to a certain lifestyle/body-type.

It is one thing to be overweight. As long as you exercise and eat properly, carrying around some extra bf isn’t going to be a serious detriment to your life.

But it is quite another to be like this woman. No one should be like her and think it’s ok.

In a purely practical sense, what exactly are fat people supposed to wear swimming, if not a “fatkini”? A muumuu? A burqa? Do they swim separate from us beautiful people so as not to offend our delicate eyes?

Or is it the attitude everyone is getting incensed at?

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:
In a purely practical sense, what exactly are fat people supposed to wear swimming, if not a “fatkini”? A muumuu? A burqa? Do they swim separate from us beautiful people so as not to offend our delicate eyes?

Or is it the attitude everyone is getting incensed at?[/quote]

I am not so much incensed as astonished. I do think that bathing suit would be more flattering than a one piece. But as some have mentioned, I couldn’t imagine being that size and going about my daily life. Both physically and practically, ie sitting in car, plane, theatre, restaurant, etc.

And your muumuu comment made me laugh. Every time I see that word, I think back to when Homer Simpson got his weight up to 300lbs just so he could claim disable status and work from home.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:

For me, it’s the attitude.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly wrong with accepting a situation for what it is. But that’s not what these people are doing. They’re not saying “I’m fat, but I can live with that”, they’re saying “I’m not fat/it’s ok to be fat!” in a variety of phrases and words.

Lee Priest just called. And I quote. “You guys are a bunch of fat shaming bullies. I’m proud of my curves, even in the off season.”

And then he cried a little.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
People are who they are, and I am glad that some can find some happiness in thier own skin. I know too many women/men who hate themselves cause they cant live up to thier own fucked up ideal.

my $0.02~[/quote]

The Viking is wise.

Just worry about your own madness.

Ehh, it doesn’t bother me that much if a obese girl wants to wear a bikini. Her life, her choice.

Something that does bother me is that I see obese people at a grocery store creeping around on those electronic carts because they are too lazy to walk. Yes you are obese and it makes moving around harder than it is for a normal person. Moving less is just making it worse. I hate to think that they are taking up carts that can be used to people with an actual disability or injury.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Ehh, it doesn’t bother me that much if a obese girl wants to wear a bikini. Her life, her choice.

Something that does bother me is that I see obese people at a grocery store creeping around on those electronic carts because they are too lazy to walk. Yes you are obese and it makes moving around harder than it is for a normal person. Moving less is just making it worse. I hate to think that they are taking up carts that can be used to people with an actual disability or injury.
[/quote]

That’s silly. Electronic carts are not a limited resource and if anything an increasing market will lower their cost for all.

Her life, her choice would work for a pool or beach she owned. However, I’m pretty sure we’re talking about what people find acceptable for public places. “It’s your life” doesn’t work for that unless you want to abolish all laws and expectations of public decency. In many places ghetto boys can no longer wear their saggy knickers, and their boxers offend me much less than whatever might be hanging out of a fatkini.

I got into an awkward traffic jam in an aisle at Wal-Mart once with a big lady on a cart and some other people. She impatiently threatened to run me down with the cart. I squared up and let her know in no uncertain terms that her little motor wasn’t big enough for the job. I’m very polite with old people or handicapped people, but I’m not putting middle-aged obese people into that category. They shouldn’t get preferential parking (they often get it) or treatment. These things all act as enablers.

The day is coming (maybe here already?) when you will go to the store and there will be special checkouts for motorcart people and they will be zipping around bitching at the few walkers left to get the hell out of their way.

let fat chicks wear bikinis if they want.

Don’t see what the problem is.

Yeah, but fatkinis are sensible and pragmatic because they double as awesome boat covers.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Lee Priest just called. And I quote. “You guys are a bunch of fat shaming bullies. I’m proud of my curves, even in the off season.”

And then he cried a little. [/quote]

Hah, I can picture him sitting in bed, reading TNation, weeping quietly while eating a bucket of KFC.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Yeah, but fatkinis are sensible and pragmatic because they double as awesome boat covers.[/quote]

Zakk Wylde overshreds. There’s no love in his solos.

[quote]Cimmerian wrote:

From the article:

Fat and sexy are diametrically opposed aesthetic qualities. They are lying to themselves, which is fine, but then they’re also apparently expecting the rest of the world to agree with them. It’s delusional.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Fat and sexy are diametrically opposed aesthetic qualities. [/quote]

I disagree - sexy is in the mind - I’ve seen some heavy persons that felt sexy.

I’ve also met some wimmenz/men who like the heavy body type, so …

whatever floats your boat, right~

[quote]Edgy wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Fat and sexy are diametrically opposed aesthetic qualities. [/quote]

I disagree - sexy is in the mind - I’ve seen some heavy persons that felt sexy.

I’ve also met some wimmenz/men who like the heavy body type, so …

whatever floats your boat, right~[/quote]

I hate agreeing with Vikings but he’s totally right.

Sexy means different things to different people. Here’s a bit of a mind blower for most of you, some women don’t like super muscular men.

I say more power to her if she’s happy in her skin. We’ve got a really, really limited time on this earth and happiness can be hard to find.

james

[quote]thegymismyshrink wrote:
I got into an awkward traffic jam in an aisle at Wal-Mart once with a big lady on a cart and some other people. She impatiently threatened to run me down with the cart. I squared up and let her know in no uncertain terms that her little motor wasn’t big enough for the job. I’m very polite with old people or handicapped people, but I’m not putting middle-aged obese people into that category. They shouldn’t get preferential parking (they often get it) or treatment. These things all act as enablers.[/quote]

You squared off against an obese woman in WalMart and you’re bragging about that? Wow. That’s super duper impressive.

james

[quote]Yogi wrote:
let fat chicks wear bikinis if they want.

Don’t see what the problem is.[/quote]

I agree. If they want to buy nicer clothes and somebody makes them who cares? They have every right to feel comfortable and pretty in the clothes they wear.