mTOR is an enzyme that increases protein synthesis and, therefore, muscle growth. Can you boost it with supplementation?
If mTOR is an enzyme that helps build muscle, can we increase it in ways other than lifting? Are there any supplements a lifter can take to boost it?
- mTOR is an enzyme that potentiates and increases protein synthesis, which allows you to build more muscle.
- You want a big burst of mTOR activated around your workout, but you don’t want it activated too long, or you’ll risk becoming desensitized to it, making it less effective.
- Some supplements help increase mTOR around the time you’d want it activated. Amino acids, specifically leucine, is the best thing to take.
- Taking leucine pre and intra-workout increases mTOR significantly. Surge Workout Fuel contains a whopping 5 grams of leucine per serving.
- Glycine increases it too, but you can’t use it pre-workout because it’ll calm you down. It’s great post-workout and in the evening.
- Carbohydrates increase mTOR and, in combination with leucine during a workout, lower cortisol and maximize muscle growth.
- Phosphatidic acid can also increase mTOR, especially around and before your workout.
Note: For daily videos like this and more Q&A with Coach Thibaudeau, join him in his exclusive T Nation Plus forum.