The End of Women’s Powerlifting?

Couldn’t you just discuss them here?

I’m sure a lot of people would agree with you so it’s probably a “safe” spot.

1 Like

Have you not seen the comments in this thread, some of which are your own?

3 Likes

Marginal self-awareness

2 Likes

Hell, that goes for pretty much all topics…

But discussing other topics may not hurt the guy taking the unapproved stance, professionally.

1 Like

But this is @BrickHead were talking about, I would love to read about what he has to say.

Unless he uses a word you dislike…

1 Like

This is a serious problem for many topics nowadays. If you don’t follow the line for whatever affinity bias the other debater thinks you should follow you will now be some sort of -ist or -phobic.

I don’t think it’s transphobic to question the steep rise in those identifying as transgender (@creative_name to use your example of the left handedness graph, the slope of that line is mostly linear as opposed to the transgender identifying line which is not quite exponential but is at least second or third order) or to question if things like aggressive hormone therapy or surgery is appropriate on minors.

I have been trying to understand the LGBT community a bit more as many of my wife’s friends are members. For the most part, they all condemn the idiots on social media on both sides (like that Dylan mulvaney character who is quite literally an actor coming out as trans and somehow getting an audience with old Dementia Joe - the person created a character and now has to stick with it because it’s how their living is being made. Or the ultra conservative Bible thumpers who have grossly misread the text). But, since most humans like drama and can’t consume anything longer then 140 character tweet or 3 min TikTok Video, nuanced discussion is impossible. The internet and social media have literally changed human brains (read The Shallows by David Carr) and most people unless trained out of that surface level spider-web, search engine type thinking will never have a deep thought or be able to follow someone’s logic even though they disagree.
This stuff is the exact reason you get people like Trump, Biden, Lori light foot, AOC, and other dumbasses elected. It’s also the reason the crazy stuff is pushed or the top of algorithms. It creates a purely emotional response and the human urge to act on that emotional response takes over (don’t worry, we are all guilty of this since we all spend time online).

3 Likes

He’s just argued for shooting Klan members. That’s fine since, as we all know, the Klan is perhaps the most powerful organization in Amerikkka, and not a bunch of goofballs dressing up in robes.

2 Likes

I don’t think that will happen.

Don’t let the Grand Dragon hear you calling them that. We all know that putting “Dragon” in your title makes people take you seriously.

1 Like

Maybe, if it didn’t mean you are the Imperial Wizard’s bitch.

1 Like

2 Likes

neither do I, but you are missing the forest for the trees. The point here is that rational discussion cannot be had when one side has arbitrary speech rules wherein the moment that invisible line is crossed - rational discussion goes out the window. We’ve already discussed that terms which were acceptable at one point are no longer acceptable; to think that will not be the case with terms we are using now is willful ignorance.

This is one of the many reasons that trying to ban the use of certain words is in direct opposition to a cohesive society, and merely a tactic for one side to find emotional leverage over another.

2 Likes

There are many occasions where you should watch what you say. You shouldn’t swear around children, for instance. You should keep things non-confrontational at work and avoid discussions about politically, religiously or culturally sensitive topics with most people. You shouldn’t say and do all kinds of things in various circumstances. These basic notions have always been true, and we called it having good manners.

PWI, however, is an entirely appropriate venue to put out your thoughts about serious topics without the need to walk around on rhetorical eggshells.

4 Likes

So absent consequences, you believe the answer is violence?

Again, do you think this is good?

Say some white guy was…”on the fence”regarding his feelings about black people, and he saw the really racist white guys all just getting their heads blown off by black people, and he started to think, “Jeez, maybe that’s why they hate them, black people just go around shooting them in the head…” Does it really seem like violence is the answer to this problem?

Its already been happening, your head is in the sand

Nuh uh

I feel like there’s an Oedipus Rex reference in here somewhere…

If he’s on the fence about an entire group of people rather than treating them as individuals, then may his head be blown off too.

Cause why is there a fence in the first place?

OK. Just wanted to be clear - if someone dislikes someone based on a quality of theirs (in this case, race), then you are of the opinion that the answer is to inflict violence/death upon that person.

Can’t say I or many people who have gone through real racism (say, MLK) would feel the same but if that’s how you feel, okay.

(Note: I’m not saying I’m in the same category as MLK.)

It’s a saying…

1 Like