The Dude's Rippetoe Log

I’m going to start adding cardio back into my life. Steady state for 20 mins on workout days, and 40 mins of HIIT cardio on off days.

Last night I did 20 mins of steady state cardio on a recumbent bike.

HIIT Cardio

30 mins on the recumbant

Yeesh. It’s funny: you’re doing what amounts to as a “beginner routine”; but judging by your strength levels, you’re far from a beginner. It’s awesome to see you making progress on it!

9 chins at a bodyweight of 238 is impressive. :slight_smile:

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
Yeesh. It’s funny: you’re doing what amounts to as a “beginner routine”; but judging by your strength levels, you’re far from a beginner. It’s awesome to see you making progress on it!

9 chins at a bodyweight of 238 is impressive. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve always been naturally strong. I said at the beginning that, well, I am a beginner as far as the number of years training. I’m just trying to see how far I can take my strength levels. I’ve done Mentzer’s HIT for too long, with disappointing results. I essentially wasted all of last year. Oh well. Thanks again, and stay tuned.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x255

bench press - 3x5x215

deadlift - 1x5x275

dips - 1x12xbw
1x20xbw

bw = 236

Well, I’m still progressing. That’s nice. Bench felt good, not too heavy. I don’t think I’ve ever lifted that kind of weight before. Slight mental barrier using 225 next time.

The first set of squats seemed difficult. So I found a couple of good songs and grunted out the last two sets.

I’m feeling good about my deadlift form, so that will be increasing 10+ lbs weekly or each time. I’m using a double overhead grip, which I don’t think is advantageous for heavier weight.

Dips. What can I say? I NEED a dip belt. I was just told I need to lose 15 lbs to buy one. Ah, the joy of negotiating.

It’s nice to see my weight went down. My wife attributed it to last night’s cardio. I don’t think it works that quickly. Speaking of cardio, I need to do my 20 min of steady state.

Big thanks to GetSwole for getting me in the right direction. He has been going through the transformation that I am starting.

You can try holding a DB between your feet for doing dips. I did that for a while; I only dropped the DB a few times, too. :wink:

Even though it should be obvious, I didn’t consider a dbell. Thanks for the reminder.

Just did 30 min of HIIT cardio. Thats’ it for me, have a good night.

Did 30 min of HIIT cardio last night before hitting the sack. That’s what I call my wife, the sack. Ha! I weighed in this morning at 237.4, up 2 since Friday. If cardio is supposed to help you lose weight, then it has a funny way of working.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x260

military press - 3x5x155

barbell rows - 3x5x215

chin-ups - 1x10xbw
1x4xbw

bw = 237

I wasn’t feeling it today, not like Friday at least. I was surprised I did so well on the military. I thought I was going to miss the last couple. Barbell rows were real hard. I’m not going to increase this at the same rate as my bench. Maybe it was an off day. The second set of chin-ups was rushed because my son was tired and wanted to go home. He actually didn’t want me to workout at all. I’m bigger, I win.

20 mins of steady state cardio last night. I did not want to do it. My wife egged me on and I knew I just had to do it.

[quote]bmitch wrote:
Also is there a reason to be doing military press as opposed to clean and press? [/quote]

No, I suppose not. The program calls for military or power cleans (without looking). I am comfortable doing hang cleans, although not the same. My main goals are strength and then size as a “side effect.”

I felt my military press strength is lacking (currently 3x5x155 lbs).

Wednesday’s Workout

No go. Stayed home sick so no workout, no cardio.

Thursday’s Workout

Again, no cardio.

Today’s Workout

School closed - SNOW DAY!!!

Sooooo, I did 45 mins of HIIT cardio on the good ol’ bike.

[quote]bmitch wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
Last night I did 20 mins of steady state cardio on a recumbent bike.

40 mins of HIIT? That seems like way to much, I’m pooped after 20[/quote]

Perhaps not “true” HIIT … allow me to explain. Since my bike only has a resistance knob, I’m not sure of an exact measurement.

1 rotation = 360 degree turn of the knob

level 1 - 5 min

level 2 - 5 min

level 3 - 5 min

rinse, repeat, pooped

HIIT that I’ve read involves 30 secs easy, 30 secs difficult. Am I correct?

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
bmitch wrote:
Also is there a reason to be doing military press as opposed to clean and press?

No, I suppose not. The program calls for military or power cleans (without looking). I am comfortable doing hang cleans, although not the same. My main goals are strength and then size as a “side effect.”

I felt my military press strength is lacking (currently 3x5x155 lbs).[/quote]

155 for military press compared to 215 for bench and 260 for front squat and 275 for deadlift?

I’d say it’s your deadlift that is lacking and your military press is your strongest lift. Get your deadlift to 350 and your strength will be reasonably balanced.

Stu

[quote]stuward wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:
bmitch wrote:
Also is there a reason to be doing military press as opposed to clean and press?

I felt my military press strength is lacking (currently 3x5x155 lbs).

155 for military press compared to 215 for bench and 260 for front squat and 275 for deadlift?

I’d say it’s your deadlift that is lacking and your military press is your strongest lift. Get your deadlift to 350 and your strength will be reasonably balanced.

Stu
[/quote]

I know my deadlift is lacking. I’m being cautious with my lower back. I’ve had bad back spasms in the past and I don’t want to reaggravate it.

Today’s Workout

CANCELED! … due to work. I’ll do some HIIT later tonight. I haven’t lifted in a week now. I also have a sinus infection.

Today’s Workout

35 min of HIIT cardio. Does anyone know if its still considered HIIT if my intensity intervals are changing every 5 mins as opposed to every 30 secs? Anybody?

I did an additional 30 mins of cardio last night. I didn’t feel fatigued before or after, so that’s good. Just trying to shed my excess winter coat … that I’ve been carrying around for 6 years.