The Dude's Rippetoe Log

As far as time under the bar, I am a beginner.

Background: Took several weight training classes in high school, nothing spectacular as far as results. I had several lifting spurts of about 3-5 months in college, but nothing consistent or long term. Fast forward, I am now 29. I have been lifting consistently since March 2007. Although I’ve read a ton, I still feel I am a beginner. I’ve mainly trained using Mike Mentzer’s HIT over the last year with sub par results.

In an attempt to not over train (disgusted sigh), I worked out twice a week, and sometimes three times every two weeks. If anything I have been under training. I feel like this past year has been a waste. That’s why I’ve chosen Rippetoe. I’ve never worked out three times a week, let alone squatted that often.

Goal: I want to not only be muscular, I want to be able to throw the iron around that I look like I should be able to do. Essentially, I’m not as strong as I look. I will be using Rippetoe’s Starting Strength training program.

I would also encourage comments of any sort. My stats are in my profile. I consume between 1800 - 2200 cals/day on a low-carb diet. I am also in the process of losing weight. I believe both strength gain and weight loss can occur simultaneously(or am I wrong?). I have about 20-30 lbs left before I reach my ideal weight.

Routine A
front squat 3x5
bench press 3x5
deadlift 1x5
dips 2x8-12

Routine B
front squat 3x5
military press 3x5
bent over bb rows 3x5
chin-ups 2x8-12

Alternate A and B routines, three times a week.

Rippetoe’s Routine

Monday, 1/07

front squat - 3x5x205

bench press - 3x5x175

deadlift - 5x205

dips - 1x12xbw
1x11xbw

bw = 240 lbs

*I know my deadlift is much lower than it should be, but I’ve had on/off lower back problems; my chiro suggested that I start off slowly with DL’s, but still do them.

Most people plateau quite quickly on HIT. Dr. Squat wrote on article explaining why call “HIT it with a Hammer”. It’s on his site.

I don’t know if your read www.stronglifts.com but the author of that site uses a variation of “Starting Strength” and he reports success for beginners gaining weight and also losing weight. It works for both. Weight loss will have some effect on your strength gains but not a lot at this stage.

With your dieting make sure that you go into calorie maintenance or surplus at least once every 4 days (on a lifting day) in order to protect your metabolism. It may slow you down in the short term but it will help in the long term and help you build a little muscle at the same time.

Stu

Wednesday, 1/09

front squat - 3x5x205

military press - 3x5x115

bb row - 3x5x175

chin-up - 1x4xbw
1x5xbw

bw = 238 lbs

[quote]stuward wrote:
Most people plateau quite quickly on HIT. Dr. Squat wrote on article explaining why call “HIT it with a Hammer”. It’s on his site.

I don’t know if your read www.stronglifts.com but the author of that site uses a variation of “Starting Strength” and he reports success for beginners gaining weight and also losing weight. It works for both. Weight loss will have some effect on your strength gains but not a lot at this stage.

With your dieting make sure that you go into calorie maintenance or surplus at least once every 4 days (on a lifting day) in order to protect your metabolism. It may slow you down in the short term but it will help in the long term and help you build a little muscle at the same time.

Stu[/quote]

I USED to be an avid believer that HIT was the only correct way to train. Oh well. I’ve never been to stronglifts.com, thanks for the pointer. I know it’s possible, but I don’t suspect it will be easy. It’s also difficult to add cardio to this routine considering that I do legs 3 times a week. It is suggested to not do cardio on training days, or light cardio (walking). I’m interested in how far I can tax my system.

Your lifting is a little stronger than most new Rippetoe trainees. You may find that you plateau quickly but you may get a month or so of gains which would be good. Give it a good shot and then try Madcow 5x5 or WS4SB. Both use a heavy/light format which you may need soon. It all comes down to recovery.

Friday, 1/11

front squat - 3x5x225

bench press - 3x5x185

deadlift - 1x5x225

dips - 2x12xbw

bw = 237 lbs

I don’t want to say the squats were easy on this day, but I probably could have done the sets with 230-35.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Your lifting is a little stronger than most new Rippetoe trainees. You may find that you plateau quickly but you may get a month or so of gains which would be good. Give it a good shot and then try Madcow 5x5 or WS4SB. Both use a heavy/light format which you may need soon. It all comes down to recovery.[/quote]

Agree. I knew that coming into this that I would plateau much quicker than an actual novice/newbie. Of course I’m hoping that I can do this for several months. I did intend on changing to Madcow/Starr 5x5. Am I wrong or is WS4SB intended for smaller/skinnier individuals?

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
It’s also difficult to add cardio to this routine considering that I do legs 3 times a week. It is suggested to not do cardio on training days, or light cardio (walking). I’m interested in how far I can tax my system.[/quote]

You will get used to the squating and DOMS will decrease. A little cardio actually helps with recovery. You might find doing HIIT or sprints in the evening of your workout days will be reasonable. That way the DOMS hasn’t hit yet and the extra stimualtion may help recovery. Once or twice throw in a long hike or something, expecially on the weekend.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Am I wrong or is WS4SB intended for smaller/skinnier individuals?[/quote]

It’s a basic intermediate program based on powerlifting and should work for anyone that wants to get stronger and/or add muscle. The skinny bastard part is just marketing. The weightloss is going to be your diet.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x230

military press - 3x5x135

bb rows - 3x5x185

chin-ups - 2x6xbw

bw = 238

*I wasn’t sure how energetic I was going to feel considering I donated blood in the morning. Well, I felt fine. I didn’t have an intense, focused rage, but I was able to move the weight. On the squat warm-up, 185 was feeling heavy. I went for the increase anyway.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x235 (PR for front squat)

bench press - 3x5x195 (best I’ve done in years, really)

deadlift - 1x5x245 (still low compared to typical standards, but
I’ll live with my ego in check)

dips - 1x12xbw
1x15xbw

bw = 236

I lost 2 lbs since Monday. Cool. I need to get my dip belt soon. That or add on another set. I made a deal with my wife that if I did crunches, she would let me buy a belt. Better start crunching.

Any reason your doing front squats instead of back squats?

(It might be in the first post but if so I missed it)

No squat/power rack available at my gym. I’m using a bench with the supports fully extended. I had a thread a while back discussing this “Front Squats Off an Olympic Bench”. Works just fine. I think I read somewhere that you plateau quicker on front squat compared to back squat. Is that why you ask?

I, for some reason, have pretty poor wrist flexibility. I use the genie/arms crossed. Works just fine for me. I have no intentions of doing olympic lift, so the crossover is not needed.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x240

military press - 3x5x140

bb rows - 3x5x195

chin-ups - 1x8xbw
1x5xbw

bw = 237

Still progressing. Back in college I was able to handle 70 lb dumbbells for 7 rep sets. I haven’t pushed that kind of weight in a while. Each week becomes a PR as far as lifts. I’m glad the front squat isn’t feeling heavy on my shoulders yet.

The bb rows are difficult because I can’t use momentum to get it up. I have to set the weight down between reps, no touch and go. I keep gaining 1 rep each time I do chin-ups which is just fine. My most difficult task has been getting enough sleep. The kids just don’t want to go to bed early (10-11pm).

Thanks. In high school I was able to back squat 315 for 3-5 reps at a bodyweight of 180 lbs. I don’t remember my max exactly, but I think it was between 340-350 lbs. How is your deload going for you?

Good. That’s most likely what I would do. I would try to add reps to my existing sets, which would give small gains.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x245

bench press - 3x5x205

deadlift - 1x5x255

dips - 1x12xbw
1x17xbw

bw = 239

I haven’t changed a lot in my diet (except for taking EAS protein), so I’m not so sure about the weight gain. I’ll just pretend it’s all muscle. Workout went real well. I felt great before and after. The weight was not heavy in that I felt like I was throwing it around. I slept a straight 6.5 hrs last night, maybe that was part of the success.

I was a little nervous going over 200 in BP, but that was quickly snuffed when I got all my reps and even 2 extra on the last set. Front squats are still “easy”. I’m not struggling on the last set of anything so far, so that’s good.

I need to do crunches tonight so that I can get my dip belt. My wife is merciless.

Today’s Workout

front squat - 3x5x250

military press - 3x5x150

barbell rows - 3x5x205

chin-ups - 1x9xbw
1x6xbw

bw = 238

I still am increasing weight. That’s good. I jumped up 10 lbs on the military because I forgot me log at home. So I couldn’t remember what I had done last time. Although I did the squats, it was starting to get difficult. I needed leg assistance on the last 2 reps of the last set. I’m not sure if I’ll go up in weight next week.