T Nation

The Duce's Challenge Log 2017

I put a pause on the weight loss over the Holidays. I’ve been on the road in 4 different states and haven’t been home, so I haven’t done my normal pictures or weigh in. I did keep to a 16/8 fasting schedule and didn’t miss a workout. However, I didn’t really keep to my training program (I was in real gyms so I just played with the toys I don’t have at home) and I relaxed my food choices (meaning I ate lot of carbs for me). I have not gotten a good morning “dry” weight like I normally do yet, but I was 190.4 this morning after training and drinking fluids. So I gained about half a pound. I like to take pauses during cutting, should be a good reset and I’m primed and ready to get back into the grind.

2 Likes

Sounds like we had a similar few weeks over the holidays then. A .5lb gain is nothing, you did much better than me.

I love your gym!!! If I ever get a house this set up will be a blue print.

Fuckin beef cake!

When you were travelling around, playing with the toys, did you find anything really cool, or that felt especially effective?

There’s good and bad. Training in the beginning of a snow storm this morning. It sucks, but it’s also weirdly motivating because it’s kinda bad-ass.

4 Likes

Nothing new really. No GHR or reverse hyper which are kinda the 2 things I always try to hit when they are available. Did some V-squats and machine hack squats and stuff. I’ve also been doing a lot of “continuous sets” recently. This is where I alternate an easy exercise set on the left then right (then left) without stopping for a set amount of time. The main gym I was at had unilateral machines for pretty much everything, so I did some new versions of my continuous sets I hadn’t done before.

I’ve also tracked my calories for the past couple of days to get a more precise tally on where exactly I am. My wife and I do Blue Apron 3 nights a week, which has created a natural carb cycle for me. Blue apron nights I end up with a grain of some sort and the other nights I don’t have any real carb sources. I’m really only eating 1 meal a day at this point. I get about 75 calories of protein around training and 100 to 200 calories of veggies/bone broth/chia seeds during the day. Then I’m eating everything else between about 5:30 and 7:30 at night. Oddly enough I’m experiencing less hunger and not having to force down any food either this way. Below is a sample of a carb day and a regular day. I had about 35 grams of fiber and 2800 calories on the carb day and 20 grams of fiber and 3000 calories on the regular day.

2 Likes

Oh wow, thats very little protein. Is there a reason for that?

1 Like

I don’t think you really need that much of it. If I thought I needed more, I would eat more, but as long as your main energy source isn’t protein I think it’s generally overrated. As I get further restricted in my calories I may add some more in.

2 Likes

And first post holiday regular update. Having to do a bit of a de-load this week in training. I was pushing the training pretty hard over the holidays and some joints are starting to act up. 190.8 this morning.

2 Likes

I tried a couple Continuous Sets. They were a “fun” way to add a little variety.

1 Like

Looking good man, thick! Keep it up!

Had some pretty tough mornings recently:

Been relying on my secrete concoction to warm me up. A bowl of butter, melted baking chocolate, nut butter, and cream. I highly recommend this for anyone trying to get in some low carb fat as a dessert.

2 Likes

Tell me more, I need some of this.

Oh Lord! And I felt gulity for cake frosting out of the can.last nite.

2 Likes

Hey now, I’m watching my figure. It’s in the 800-1000 calories range, but only a couple of grams of carbs, so the calories don’t count.

4 Likes

189.6 pounds this morning. I’ve basically settled into an olympic-building routine at this point as I’ve been doing some moderately heavy olympic lifting. Still training early in the morning in the middle of my fast, and I’ve settled into a good routine on the diet too.

1 Like

Wtf, is that you Butler?

3 Likes

HAHA. Not the first time I’ve gotten that one. And yes, it is me, please immediately forward me my royalty checks.

2 Likes