T Nation

The Dragon- Machida Training Secret

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3167

UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida debuted for the UFC in 2007 and has not lost a single round since then. The Karate master says the punch is the hardest weapon of his arsenal - he trains it exhaustively for four to five hundred times a day.

â??My punch is my heaviest hit and the toughest one to be defended by the opponent. I study the distance, the pace of fighting, because everybody knows how to punch. When to punch is the more difficult part. I train with a piece of wood (width 10cm, length: 1.30m) for about 400, 500 hits a day at each side. I also attack the punchbag to strengthen the movementâ?? he said to R7 Esportes.

Machida took Karate to the highest level of the competition in MMA facing athletes from other martial arts since his childhood and this is the reason of the evolution of his tecnique.

â??Karate fighters used to fight only guys from Karate. Since I was younger, I prepared myself training with guys from Muay Thai, boxing, capoeira, jiu-jitsu and judo. I adapted my style. You donâ??t have to change you style but have to learn how to attack and getting used to the timing of fighting,â?? he explains.

Lyoto takes on Mauricio â??Shogunâ?? Rua on October 24th in Los Angeles, California, at the main event of UFC 104. Despite the respectful relationship with Shogun, The Dragon takes the challenge as a real professional must to do.

â??At the time of the fight we have to be professionals. The best [fighters] will chase up the title,â?? said the current champion.

I like Machida. He’s probably the only UFC guy I enjoy watching

I also enjoy Machida but like every fighter he has to have flaws. I believe I saw one in the Rashad fight but it may have been a fluke. I’m going to see if it’s there with Shogun. Even if it is, I don’t see Rua beating Machida.

side note: Machida’s new entrance music shoud be MC Hammer “U can’t touch this.” Come on you know you’d love it.

Machida is the man. I don’t think he’s unbeatable, though. Shogun, I think, could give him some problems with his Muay Thai game but I still think The Dragon will retain the title.

Machida is a beast. Love watching him fight. He should get past Shogun and keep his belt.

Also, if I’m not mistaken, he drinks his own urine, similar to Juan Manuel Marquez. I remember reading he says it’s the first thing he puts in his mouth every morning.

It’s not like he has crazy power he hit Rashad flush a ton of times.

As talented as Shogun is/was I don’t see him winning this fight unless there is divine intervention. I doubt it will ever happen but I really want to see Machida fight Anderson Silva…Epic.

So what he’s saying is…he got good at fighting by actually fighting and drilling his best techniques over and over again? Damn here I was thinking going to a few MMA classes and wearing a tapout shirt without having punched anyone for serious would make me the ultimate badass.

[quote]AttackOfTheChris wrote:
So what he’s saying is…he got good at fighting by actually fighting and drilling his best techniques over and over again? Damn here I was thinking going to a few MMA classes and wearing a tapout shirt without having punched anyone for serious would make me the ultimate badass. [/quote]

Haha! So true. Here in Northern California, you would think every guy was an mma fighter.

Sounds like a makiwara to me.

[quote]Darkknight wrote:
AttackOfTheChris wrote:
So what he’s saying is…he got good at fighting by actually fighting and drilling his best techniques over and over again? Damn here I was thinking going to a few MMA classes and wearing a tapout shirt without having punched anyone for serious would make me the ultimate badass.

Haha! So true. Here in Northern California, you would think every guy was an mma fighter. [/quote]

Well it’s not just in Northern California, you can be sure of that.

It’s WORSE in southern california… we have “bro’s”

You dont have bros in southern california like I do here in NYC.

you may however have brotards.

We have “cholos” AND bros here in southern Arizona.

What’s the difference between a bro and a brotard cuz im pretty sure we have a few of those too?

we just have a bunch of wrestlers…

we just have a bunch of wrestlers…


We have these. Lifted trucks, dirt bikes, and an obsession with sand. Their women (albeit hot in a kinda slutty way) are way worse than their male counterparts.

The funniest thing in the world is sitting there while these guys tell me that they train, and their coach said they’re so good that they can’t train at their place anymore. And it’s always in someone’s garage, never a legit gym. Or their trainer is private and doesn’t give out his name… then they want to wrestle and show me stuff.

Now i keep 2 pair of gloves & shinguards in my car.

we have some jackasses in Indiana but like all things i think California takes it to a higher level. I built my gym in my home for alot of reasons but one of them was the fact that every male from 17 to 25 is now “into MMA” meaning they have the tapout shirt and talk smack. I have huge respect for the guys that actually train and fight, i have nothing but contempt for those that crowd the weight room and shadow box and grapple with each other.

[quote]morepain wrote:
we have some jackasses in Indiana but like all things i think California takes it to a higher level. I built my gym in my home for alot of reasons but one of them was the fact that every male from 17 to 25 is now “into MMA” meaning they have the tapout shirt and talk smack. I have huge respect for the guys that actually train and fight, i have nothing but contempt for those that crowd the weight room and shadow box and grapple with each other. [/quote]

I have no problem if the dude is a fan and just wants to fuck around. But it’s a complete other thing when you’re perpetrating like you’re a fighter or some sort of badass. You never see anyone saying “yea I’m in the NFL”

[quote]morepain wrote:
we have some jackasses in Indiana but like all things i think California takes it to a higher level. I built my gym in my home for alot of reasons but one of them was the fact that every male from 17 to 25 is now “into MMA” meaning they have the tapout shirt and talk smack. I have huge respect for the guys that actually train and fight, i have nothing but contempt for those that crowd the weight room and shadow box and grapple with each other. [/quote]

I’m glad I don’t have to put up with that shit.

Are they actually shadow boxing and grappling in the weight room? I know an old veteran who shadow boxes between sets, he served in Vietnam so he can do whatever the fuck he wants as far as I’m concerned. Most folks who want to box or grapple at my “Health and Fitness Club” go to the 2nd floor boxing gym.