The Dragon Age II Thread

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
Let us know what you thought of the game, people who have bought it.

Also, are there any other good RPGs that I can sink my teeth into for the ps3? Obviously, mass effect is on the list, but any others?

[/quote]

Okay, so I stayed up too late and played a couple hours last night. I couldn’t resist.

So far I’m not finding the storyline or the characters as compelling as the first game. On the other hand, when I first played DA:O for the first few hours I thought there was no way I was going to get into the game.

There are four difficulty settings as in the first game. From what the developers have said (and this matches with my experience), you can hack and slash your way through easy/normal. That’s what they’re there for, and if you want more of an “action RPG” on the easier settings you can pretty much not worry about managing the companions, and get to hacking. The two harder levels (hard/nightmare) were designed for people who want to manage more.

I’ve been playing on hard. So far I’ve only encountered one spot where I actually died a couple times before making it past. I think I’ll be bumping it up to Nightmare.

I’m playing as a human warrior. I pre-ordered the game and was supposed to get some extra DLC stuff, but there was no code, so I need to contact EA/BioWare. On the other hand, the DLC stuff that did come through is borderline silly (a two handed sword that looks like a razor), and is WAY overpowered, so I ditched it in storage. That said, there’s a lot less equipment laying around than in the previous game. Almost all the equipment my character has equipped has been given to him, and not come from chests or off dead enemies.

@Magicpunch: if you haven’t played Oblivion you can get the GOTY pretty cheap, and in my mind that’s still the standard by which modern RPGs are judged by.[/quote]

Interesting. Bummer about less stuff lying around. I do like a nice handy surprise find on a dead guy. Are the spells/skills essentially the same, but with added storyline (like an add-on?)

Oblivion - how could I forget? I’ve never played it, have only ever played morrowind and it turned out to be one of the best games I ever played for atmosphere. Ok, I imagine oblivion’s pretty cheap these days so I’ll buy it as soon as I can.

Also, been playing origins on normal and it has admittedly been too easy. Going to kick up the difficulty. Have only died three or four times in the whole game, and that’s not enough.

Btw are these the same people who did baldur’s gate etc? DAO’s got that air about it - those games were awesome.

Thanks for the review.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:
Let us know what you thought of the game, people who have bought it.

Also, are there any other good RPGs that I can sink my teeth into for the ps3? Obviously, mass effect is on the list, but any others?

[/quote]

Okay, so I stayed up too late and played a couple hours last night. I couldn’t resist.

So far I’m not finding the storyline or the characters as compelling as the first game. On the other hand, when I first played DA:O for the first few hours I thought there was no way I was going to get into the game.

There are four difficulty settings as in the first game. From what the developers have said (and this matches with my experience), you can hack and slash your way through easy/normal. That’s what they’re there for, and if you want more of an “action RPG” on the easier settings you can pretty much not worry about managing the companions, and get to hacking. The two harder levels (hard/nightmare) were designed for people who want to manage more.

I’ve been playing on hard. So far I’ve only encountered one spot where I actually died a couple times before making it past. I think I’ll be bumping it up to Nightmare.

I’m playing as a human warrior. I pre-ordered the game and was supposed to get some extra DLC stuff, but there was no code, so I need to contact EA/BioWare. On the other hand, the DLC stuff that did come through is borderline silly (a two handed sword that looks like a razor), and is WAY overpowered, so I ditched it in storage. That said, there’s a lot less equipment laying around than in the previous game. Almost all the equipment my character has equipped has been given to him, and not come from chests or off dead enemies.

@Magicpunch: if you haven’t played Oblivion you can get the GOTY pretty cheap, and in my mind that’s still the standard by which modern RPGs are judged by.[/quote]

Interesting. Bummer about less stuff lying around. I do like a nice handy surprise find on a dead guy. Are the spells/skills essentially the same, but with added storyline (like an add-on?)

Oblivion - how could I forget? I’ve never played it, have only ever played morrowind and it turned out to be one of the best games I ever played for atmosphere. Ok, I imagine oblivion’s pretty cheap these days so I’ll buy it as soon as I can.

Also, been playing origins on normal and it has admittedly been too easy. Going to kick up the difficulty. Have only died three or four times in the whole game, and that’s not enough.

Btw are these the same people who did baldur’s gate etc? DAO’s got that air about it - those games were awesome.

Thanks for the review. [/quote]

Bioware did BG / BG2, yes.

Will buy this game.

Arcane Warrior / Blood Mage solo ftw (and battlemage for awakening).

Going back to my nerd cave now…

No Arcane Warriors in DA2

Just got my first taste of blood magic. Actually, I entered the fade with Jowan but haven’t yet used the magic. Can’t wait to have another crack at it tomorrow.

Not much loot aaarrggghhhh!

Where be the pleasure in all the killin then?

Is there any reason to get DAO2 for the same system that you purchased the original for? Basically, can you import your character into DAO2? What’s the significance if you can?

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
Is there any reason to get DAO2 for the same system that you purchased the original for? Basically, can you import your character into DAO2? What’s the significance if you can?[/quote]

It imports the world you created in DA:O, like who’s king, and some of the other decisions you made.

Mmmmm…

Everything I’m reading about the game is disappointing.

• no exploration?
  • no conclusion to anything that was left open from DA:O?
  • can’t equip companions?
  • no classic rpg combat system

Sounds more like a reboot that a sequel.
I’m going to put this on hold I think.
Stupid shallow Bioware.

[quote]undecimber wrote:

Mmmmm…

• no exploration?

Stupid shallow Bioware. [/quote]

Play the demo.

It’s not really a sequel to Origins.

The PC version has a pretty big bug in that it doesn’t let people with single core processors save the game without causing an infinite loading loop. Hopefully they fix that soon.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]undecimber wrote:

Mmmmm…

• no exploration?

Play the demo.[/quote]

Ok, I’ve played the demo?

[quote]undecimber wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]undecimber wrote:

Mmmmm…

• no exploration?

Play the demo.[/quote]

Ok, I’ve played the demo?[/quote]

Did you like it? You can equip some stuff with the companions. You really can play it stop-and-go. I thing the gameplay is improved, I think it’s the story that is lacking, although it gets better as you.

Question anybody have Dragon and Bulletstorm on PS3?

I could buy both, but dont have time for both now. Which would you buy?

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]undecimber wrote:

[quote]Spartiates wrote:

[quote]undecimber wrote:

Mmmmm…

• no exploration?

Play the demo.[/quote]

Ok, I’ve played the demo?[/quote]

Did you like it? You can equip some stuff with the companions. You really can play it stop-and-go. I thing the gameplay is improved, I think it’s the story that is lacking, although it gets better as you.[/quote]

It wasn’t too bad I suppose.
I’m sure that the game doesn’t suck - as a standalone its probably pretty good as many people are liking it. I certainly wasn’t expecting DA2 to pretty much neglect DAO though, considering the game is called Dragon Age 2 (seeming that Mass Effect continued with the story) DAO had a really open ending and the DLC content was very disappointing… enough ranting what’s done is done.

If it ain’t broke why fix it?