The Door Gym

I found no threads on it, so I thought I’d start one to let everyone know about this thing.

I got mine last week, and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. It uses no screwed-on braces and does not damage the door frame in anyway; it works totally by cantilevered weight on either side of the door frame. This is especially useful for someone who rents and does not want to damage a door frame that doesn’t even belong to them.

I put it on my office door, and I just knock out a few reps whenever I feel like it.

It holds up to 300 lbs., so even guys who don’t weigh over 250 or so can use it and even add some weight with a belt or backpack if desired.

The best deal I found was at KarateDepot.com, although there is a plethora of places you can find it. The only drawback is that if you want to do wide-grip pull-ups, you have to purchase a Wide Grip bar, which I went ahead and did. Or you can purchase the Door Gym Deluxe, which comes with the Door Gym, Ab Loops and Wide Grip bar all in one package. It is a bit pricey, but provided you actually use the thing regularly, this thing will pay for itself a thousand times over, IMO.

We all know the merits of pull-ups, as Charlemagne started a great thread on them a couple of months back, so I won’t waste my time trying to convince anyone to do them.

P.S. In case anyone was wondering, I am not a rep for either the Door Gym company or KarateDepot.com.

it’s an ok product. ive had one for a few years now and the one thing i don’t like is that you can’t use a wide grip on it, and the device is only as strong as your door jam as i found out the hard way a couple years ago. plus if you have low door jams and long legs it can be pain in the ass to use. if i had a way to install a real pull up bar in my house i would have that instead

[quote]robo1 wrote:
it’s an ok product. ive had one for a few years now and the one thing i don’t like is that you can’t use a wide grip on it, [/quote]

They have a wide-grip attachment. It’s basically just a padded bar that rests on top of the perpendicular hand grips.

I’ve had a DoorGym for years and like it quite a bit. It’s one of the most comfortable bars I’ve used and the support for side-grip pullups is a nice bonus.

-Brien

Looks good if you live in a broom closet or as they call it in collage: dorm room

I have something similar, but it’s a chin bar only and allows you to use a variety of grips.

I bought it at Champs for $30 more than 8 years ago. It has worked great in any apartment or house that I’ve used it in. And I’ve seen it at Champs in the past, so they are still available.

It works the same way as the one above, and it’s sturdy. They say it’s good for up to 300lbs, but I wouldn’t recommend that much since your door jam may not be strong enough for 300lbs.

I had a 225lb friend try it out once, and it worked, but you could hear some creaking along the door and with the chin bar.