T Nation

The Dip

Hey CT,

I have a question about dips for chest development. I admit, I have an addiction for working on developing my upper chest overall. My chest is lagging, so I'm doing everything I can to build it. I follow percentages on my main lifts, and then basically do bodybuilding assistance type work after that. I really enjoy working the upper pecs because of the square look it gives my chest, but then I worry that if I don't do enough upper chest work and more lower/middle, I may develop a ''droopy" look to my chest. Whether or not that is true, I'm not sure..but I doubt it?

This is the kind of split I've been following:
Monday- Upper- Chest/Back
- Flat Bench (follow percentages for sets)
- DB rows 4 sets of 10,10,8,6
- Incline DB (3-4 sets of 6-10 reps) with pull ups or pulldowns
- Hammer Strength Incline Press (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps) with Close grips pulldowns/rows (3-4 sets of 8-12 reps may do weighted dips instead of an extra incline press****
- depending on the 3rd pressing movement, whether it's an incline press or a dip, I do incline flyes or flat flyes with back accessory

Tuesday- Lower- Squat and leg accessories
- DB walking lunges
- BB Hip Thrust or RDL
- Leg extensions with Leg curls

Wednesday- OFF

Thursday - Upper- Overhead Press percentages on sets with weighted chins
- ***close grip bench (flat or incline) depending on Monday's workout) with face pulls
-Lateral raises 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- 6-8 sets of bicep/tricep exercises

Friday- Lower- Deadlift percentages for sets
- Front Squats
- Pullthroughs or another hamstring movement

How does this template look to you? If I work more incline work on Monday, should I do flat close grip on Thursday? Or if I add weighted dips on Monday, should I do incline flyes afterwards, and incline close grip on Thursday? I know I'm overthinking everything... Unfortunately. I just want to build a big, lean, powerful body. I'm happy with all of the progress in everything else but my chest, strength wise and aesthetically.

So when it comes down to it, at 6'6", should I focus on working more incline movements and less decline/dips? Or add dips but still focus on incline work? I'm all over the place right now, so any direction would be awesome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated CT! Thank you!

Anybody? I apologize for the post, it’s probably too long and painful to read through because I’m all over the place. To shorten it up, should I incorporate the dip for stubborn chest growth? My upper body days are Monday and Thursday; Chest and Back on Monday, Shoulders and Arms on Thursday. My goal is to build a strong, aesthetic looking chest. Incline work has worked well for me (shape wise), how can I continue to incorporate that and maybe add dips? And, should I try to use flat or incline flyes depending on what angle I do my presses?

@Arches89: CT likes the dip as a chest builder. Here is an article where he talks about it. https://www.T-Nation.com/training/the-best-exercises-period

[quote]sput79 wrote:
@Arches89: CT likes the dip as a chest builder. Here is an article where he talks about it. https://www.T-Nation.com/training/the-best-exercises-period[/quote]

Yes, but I guess my only worry is that I will overdevelop my lower chest and then have an underdeveloped upper. That’s why I’m probably overthinking everything by trying to even out both upper days with upper or lower pec work…

Aches: I think you’re over thinking everything. How you execute the exercises and program them so you recover and continually progress is more important than the exercises themselves. If the dip is done right it will build your whole chest nicely. You can always add incline work as an accessory.

I agree with sput; the dip will improve your entire chest, probably better than any other movement. No matter what you do, don’t buy into the myth that it only or overdevelops your lower pecs. If you do them I front of a mirror you will see a tremendous contraction throughout the chest at the top of the movement.

[quote]CMdad wrote:
I agree with sput; the dip will improve your entire chest, probably better than any other movement. No matter what you do, don’t buy into the myth that it only or overdevelops your lower pecs. If you do them I front of a mirror you will see a tremendous contraction throughout the chest at the top of the movement.[/quote]

Very true. I need to stop overthinking and just execute whatever is I plan on doing. Thanks guys!

From my perspective - I don’t use flat bench. Dips (and especially chest version of it) plus incline bench train the whole chest. Good to mention that dips work pec minor too, which really enhances chest look. .

And if you’re really concerned about your upper portion of pecs - do incline first and then dips, or you can use dips as main heavy movement first and then do more than one exercise for upper pecs.