The Derek Chauvin Trial

Specific example? I mean we do financially incentivize women to be single mothers, so on that I agree. But wouldn’t that span all communities equally? Why would these areas be more suceptible?

I apologize, I know this thread is intended to be more trial centered, but I am curious about this.

The policies that led to the creation of the ghettos. Corrupt politicians running cities, for example Newark, NJ, where black people were marginalized. The drug war.

Hey, we agree on something. You put all that on top of the highly destructive narrative of victimization shoved down their throats by culture and media and they are set up of failure.

3 Likes

Saw a poster comment a couple of days back -

When are we going to realize the Government just isn’t that good at this governing thing?

3 Likes

Such as?

Newark could easily be substituted for 100 cities around the country with similar issues so I get that, but how were black people marginalized there? Is it just black communities?

Totally agree the drug war is destructive and should be 100% abolished. From a cultural standpoint though, rampant drug use hurts a community much worse than stupid drug laws being enforced. See rural new England.

This sums me up well. I’ve tracked some of the findings but only through print, as I absolutely do not want this wreck invading my space. I said earlier I’d do just about anything to avoid being on this jury lol.

I think your analysis of the court situation is fairly plausible. But I don’t think that if Chauvin is convicted and sent to prison he is going to make it through his prison sentence.

1 Like

Seriously. I think the actual jury selection process would have been fascinating to watch.

1 Like

Redlining.

When these cities still had significant white populations (prior to white flight), blacks were treated like crap and denied opportunities such as jobs. You can google the 1967 riots in Newark. The irony with Newark is that the black mayors who would be elected soon after, and who ran on being anticorruption, were just as corrupt as the previous white mayors.

2 Likes

And yet blacks were better off in terms of earnings and employment in the 60s…

Maybe it’s a case of the cure being worse than the disease. It was around this time that marriage rates dropped among blacks and illegitimacy started to rise.

2 Likes

What is that?

Thats not specific. “Blacks were treated like crap” in 60’s Newark doesn’t really mean anything. You said politicians created the environment, how? Like LBJ and the great society? Or a law saying Newark businesses can’t hire blacks or something?

This is American history. I’m not posting a textbook length post.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here, but it is incorrect. Chauvin doesn’t have to prove anything. The burden remains entirely with the prosecution.

I think he may be saying that because the nature of the trial is so public and charged that the likely chance of a fair trial is very close to zero, ergo Chauvin’s team needs to prove a level higher than the law provides if they want the jurors to vote to acquit.

1 Like

IDK, there are 12 jurors. They only need to get one to have doubt in the prosecution’s case. Because of the dynamics of a jury, I was never convinced which way this one will go.

It seems we have about a 50/50 split on which way we think the case will go just on this site. To me that means he has a good shot at a fair trial.

1 Like

Redlining was a practice started during Roosevelt’s administration of designating certain neighborhoods (literally drawing a red line around them on a map) as too risky for federally-backed mortgages. The result was that it was much more difficult if not impossible for people living in these areas to purchase homes. Predominately black neighborhoods were often redlined, though they were not the only neighborhoods to receive this treatment. Racial discrimination in housing has been illegal since the 1968 Fair Housing Act.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re serious or just trying to bait someone, but there can be no doubt that black people have been treated horribly for most of this country’s history. Even after slavery was ended, black people continued to be treated like chattel in the Southern United States, and certainly as far less than full human beings. Blacks who migrated to Northern cities like Newark didn’t receive a terribly warm welcome either. We could say that of many groups (Irish, Jews, Italians, Chinese), but blacks especially were shunned in terms of employment, and were often harassed by white police and whites in general (watch “A Bronx Tale” for a realistic depiction). Now, we can disagree as to the solutions to the problems plaguing inner-city black communities (as well as other communities like poor rural whites), but I don’t know how there can be any serious disagreement about these historical facts.

1 Like

What Aragorn said. The whole world is watching. I am from Bulgaria if you know where this is. And I am watching. Keep in mind I am minority in my country (which had a problem with an actual institutional and government racism as long as 30 years ago - you can watch Jeb Herkulu as good source of it) and a victim of racism even from the parents of my fiancée. And this case is ridiculous. It is obvious the guy is innocent and Floyd just overdosed with a drug that causes your breathing to stop in order to hide the drugs and avoid jail.

1 Like

I don’t think this one is obvious. Especially, the 2nd degree manslaughter charge.