The Deadliest Martial Art

You folks had some great answers!! The last time I read a thread on something like this I think every hammerhead and his Mom replied stating that their style was the best.

In the 17 years that I’ve been involved in martial arts probably the single most impressive class I’ve taken was a course called FAST Defense. It blew my socks off!! It was only a 5 hour class but holy s#$% did it really open my eyes up. Check out www.fastdefense.com and find a school that teaches this class near you and GO TAKE IT!!! Worst case scenario you spend 5 hours there, you don’t like it and you get your money back.

Funny. I just took my first Nihon Goshin Aikido class. I watched the class and the Sensei pretty much said that the style is completely street self defense. In otherwords how quickly can you end the conflict by making someone submit/breaking something. I am just a beginner on Aikido so please no flames. Just my two cents.

Hi,
Are you and Ko snowskiers/boarders? Once we do get some snow I am always up for a road trip to Mount Bachelor (is that close to you?). That is of course if you’ll join me for a beer or ten after we hit the slopes!

I used to ski, but have not done so in years. Bachelor is about 3-4 hours SE of us. Timberline or Mt Hood Meadows is close to us.

Not Fast Defense again. I see they added video clipse to their site. Exactly what I thought it would be. Worthless.

KraigY: Ha! You know I have a snowboard and all the gear: but I’ve only gone once. And I’ve never skied before.

I guess I've resigned myself to this: I may never be into snowboarding or skiing (however, I do draw 'em), but I'll sure as hell hang out in the lodge and drink those beers! I'll leave the skiing to you and Ko. Let us know if you ever get up here!

If you want to be a merciless killing machine and look good doing it you should combine Kung-fu and Bodybuilding. All martial arts are deadly if you are fighting some retard on the street who thinks he is tough so just pick one and become great at it. However, I take Kung-fu so I’m reccommending that to you. later.

I can tell you how to become a great fighter and the scariest guy out there in the shortest amount of time. As one my instructors said, the fastest way to become the baddest guy out there: Go out on the street, find the biggest meanest looking guy you can and spit in his face. Do this for a while and you will either be dead or you will become a very dangerous person.
If all you’re looking for is to be able to kick some ass, that is what you do. If you actually want to learn an art with some style, listen to everybody elses advise.

Is anybody that cuurently trains in martial arts using kettlebells. If so what benefits do you think they add to your training. I am currently do roadwork (see post in training forum for specifics) and I see it as adding allot of explosivness to my olympic lifts and it is leaning me out in a hurry!

Hi Ko,

Thanks again for the link to IMS Pankration Santa Cruz. I have been training with them for a week now and it truly one of the most fun and challenging things I have ever done.

Brain Burns is the instructor and he has been named to the US Pankration Olympic team in the 2004 Olympics in greece. He also was a gold medalist at the 2000 world championships. So this guy really knows his stuff not to mention the fact that he is one of the most humble people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. In fact all of his students are pretty humble. it is amazing to be in a room of so many "baddasses" and all of the sirs, pleases and thank you's being thrown around. It is refreshing to say the least! What styles do you train in?

Thanks again and good luck on your MMA training.

KraigY

I think Senshido might suit your needs. No, never been to their school, but what they profess seems to make sense. Their book ‘1001 secrets of street fighting’ by Sammy Franco, may be of some help.

You could check out www.senshido.com,
or www.sammyfranco.com

For basic self-defense do look at www.nononsenseselfdefense.com

I can’t believe you people!
The deadliest martial art ever has to be the ninjitsu they used in “American Ninja 2: the Confrontation” because after 20 minutes of that movie I wanted to kill myself!!

In seriousness though, 5-stars of the Shaolin.

If theres no hard feelings. One of the officers i work with after getting his ass handed to him in a traffic stop, started taking something that starts with the letter r. Since then he’s shown us some footage of recent altercations in which he was able to quickly and effectively gain control of the subject almost effortlessly. I just cant remember what the name of it is. Is there like a russian sambo or somthin like that?? I was pretty impressed with what i saw.

KraigY- Glad I could help. Sounds like you found a great place to train, with world class athletes also. Good luck.

To BFA- No hard feelings. There is a Russian style called Sambo. It developed from various folk wrestling styles, and was further developed for military combat. It can be a very effective style. Considering that you are in law enforcement, I would highly recommend that you study some type of grappling style. It is invaluable when it comes to safely and effectively subduing an individual.

Yeah i have to agree with you. I like to box, but i have severely “talked to” about hitting people during fights. Both times i was justified, but to the public it looks REALLY bad when they see something like that. I think i’ll take your advice and talk to him the next time i see him.

Yeah i have to agree with you. I like to box, but i have severely “talked to” about hitting people during fights. Both times i was justified, but to the public it looks REALLY bad when they see something like that. I think i’ll take your advice and talk to him the next time i see him.