T Nation

The Deadliest Martial Art

I have been thinking of getting into martial arts and I see it as kind of a natuaral progression from lifting and training. I am looking for something that covers all aspects of fighting such as punching, kicking, throws, grappling, arm bars ect… one that doesnt take 10 years to learn and also includes sparring.

I have done some research and it seems that Hap-Ki-Do is what I am looking for but they say it is too dangerous for sparring.

Any suggestions? What is "the deadliest martial art"?

Your Thoughts? KraigY

I’m gonna throw your question in with the “what’s the best martial art?” arena.

And answer this the same way I'd answer that question: it all depends on where you're willing to take it, what you're goals are, and how disciplined your willing to be.

And I'm rather annoyed at your statement: "doesn't take 10-years to learn". If you know of anything of the history of martial arts, you'll understand why I'm perturbed by that. The learning process of any type of MA is not a overnight thing. Historically, MA was seen as a "lifelong" endeavor. It's only recently, and due to the various "black belt factories" that many have gotten this idea that MA styles can be taught entirely w/in a short period of time.

But to answer your question: something in the realm of a hybrid style is what you're looking for.

People always seem to favor the one that they study. I took Hapkido, but only for 1 year. It seemed very comprehensive, but I would say to do a decent job you’d have to put in a lot of time outside of class. Ideally you should sign up with a friend / training partner so you can go over the material outside of class time.

Hap Ki Do is to dangerous for sparring? Where did you find that info.

The deadliest art would be the proper use of a firearm. That being said, I believe you should look into any school that is involved in MMA and or submission wrestling (strong backgrounds in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, wrestling and Muy Thai, tied together with Jeet Kun Do concepts). If you are looking into weapons (usage/defense against) find a hybrid style with a solid grasp of Filipino weapons (knife/stick fighting).

Oh boy, here we go…

Are you looking for something which you can use to protect yourself and loved ones or something with a tradition or something that combines all the stuff you mentioned and just spars?

Seems to me that you want a mixed martial art (MMA).

Deadly? A punch to the throat is deadly but you don’t have to be any kind of martial arts practitioner to accomplish that. Kinda silly way to phrase your question. Be wary of anyone who comes out and says “x” martial art is the “deadliest”. Croooz

Hi Patricia,

Yea, I knew my statement would perturb some people but my point is I am looking for something for self defense that I can learn to do some damage in a fairly short period of time.

Ps... I am still interested in a northern California / Oregan T-Meeting. How about on the ski slopes in you neck of the woods?

KraigY: Uh, there’s no snow on them ski slopes! Okay, on two, there’s like maybe several inches. Other than that: they’re all brown and green! Pretty sad for the skiers and snowboarders, I’d say.

But a T-Meeting up here would be kinda kewl (and yes, folks, I know the correct spelling is COOL). You could train with Ko at the gym where he trains MMA (Team Quest). And check out the "Friday Night Fights" in the Roseland.

I understand the premise of your question. What Ko mentioned in his post is pretty much what you should be looking into. Seriously.

Kraigy- A responsible practioner will not train you with that attitude. Martial arts as taught to the majority of the population is not about hurting people because you can. That being said no matter what you learn, it is your mindset that is most important. By that I mean reading a situation, sizing up your opponent and action quick and decisive. The way to learn any fighting art is to fight, against better opponents then yourself. Wear protection, etc. If you train hard you will fight hard and win. Find an instructor that will train you in the proper mindset first. Think about the reason you want to learn before your start looking. Thus endeth the leason grasshopper.

The 3 schools that teach Hapkido in my area do not spar using Hapkido only Taekwondo. I was looking into a local Brazilian Jujitzo school but was told they don’t really teach punching or kicking. Unfortunatly there are no MMA schools in the Santa Cruz area. My main goals are self defense and flexibility. I am not now nor have I ever been a “fighter” but through weight lifting I have become more in tune with my body and I am looking to challenge myself in new ways.

KraigY

KraigY,
I have to go with the midset thought. I don’t believe there is a best or deadliest style per se. Even Tai chi (not the meditation garbage usually taught) when used the way it is meant to be can be dangerous/deadly. Your attitude determines a lot.

Having said that, I read somewhere that in the UFC series, the majority of fights were won by wrestlers and while the ‘champs’ often came from different schools, that is because of that individuals specific talents: some folks are olympians regardless of what they do.

As far as ten years is concerned, there are nuances to each art that need to be learned. I studied Tomiki aikido and we sparred with knives every workout. Hell, we held tournaments to see who was best. And this sets Tomiki at variance with the rest of Aikido. So it takes time to learn it. That development of charachter pays off. Just my two cents.

If you want something for practical self defense (which is what you said you are looking for), the I would go with BJJ. You are better off knowing how to handle yourself in the clinch/ground, than kicking and punching. The techniques taught in Hap Ki Do look great, and will work in a controlled environment. However, a fight is chaotic and does not follow set patterns,so the chances of you being able apply one of the techniques is slim to none.

As far as the mindset, I’m all for peace and love, and you should never start a fight. But if someone wants to throw down, then you should have the mentality to finish it. Its times time for brutality and complete disregard for the other persons well being.

I like brazillian ju-jitsu its alot of fun. If you want punching and kicking do muy thai kickboxing. Self defense do krav magna. Akido is really cool to.

I studied Jiu Jitsu for years and it includes all the fighting forms, but I wouldn’t know or say that it’s the deadliest. Kickboxing is a good art to learn, it’s very effective and seems to be the rage currently. As my old teacher used to say “The legs are the artillery and the hands are the infantry”.

I took a quick look and found this school in Santa Cruz. I have no idea as to the quality but it would be worth checking out:

www.ims-pankration.com/

http://claudiofrancabjj.com/

Both of these teach some standup fighting as well as ground fighting.

Thanks for the links that was very kind! I had talked to the Claudio Franca school but the IMS Pankration school was a new find. I talked to them and I start training with them tommorrow night. I think this is right up my alley (stand up and ground fighting w/ sparring).

I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, KraigY

Just a bit of information. I visited a Hapkido/Judo/Grappling school. I actually trained there for four weeks because that is all that was available to me at that time. I am a submission wrestler and they threw a gi top on me. I was choked out repeatedly until they taught me how to defend the gi choke. After that I was never threatened. SO I guess since all their gis said Hapkido on the back that was a style they practiced extensively. I was impressed by throws they did in practice, my guess it was from Judo. I could be mistaken but never the less I could resist the throws(sometimes) in stand up sparring and was never threatened if I did not tie up with the cloth. So my guess is traditional Hapkido would not be your first choice.

Glad I could help.

The chokes and throws were more Judo than Hap Ki Do. Hap Ki Do is more about joint manipulation. It's a Tae Kwon Do/ Aikido mix. It would be interesting to see how they would do without the gi to pull on.

In the real world judo throws are more defensive in nature, for competition and training purposes sure the gi allows one to be more offensive. However, in a weeks time you can learn several throws that can be a highly effective deterrent against the average untrained punk ass bitch. Learning how to kick or punch with any force or coordination to do any damage can take years. Judo teaches balance, or lack thereof, and enables you to utilize very little energy and force to disable an opponent (if done right). None the less, a knowledge of several martial arts can be beneficial to be a complete, well rounded can of whoop ass.

The deadliest martial art is whatever art allows you to truly master yourself. mind, body, and spirit.

He who conquers himself, can conquer the world
-myamoto musashi

bruce lee once said that it’s not the martial art, but the martial artist. hope this helps.

The good thing about Brazilion jiu jitsu (BJJ)is that they usually train gi and no gi. So if you want to learn to roll without having a gi to pull on you can. Each BJJ school will focus on different aspects of the art. The BJJ I train at practices takedowns every training session. There are also a few people there who train striking and practice mma.