The Dating Thread

Having a friend of the opposite sex with no hidden motives is nice. You can learn a lot from them and usually bounce ideas off of them

2 Likes

I had one of those. Then I married her… Whoops

2 Likes

He is basically another brother. At this point he knows more about my family than any of my other friends

Interestingly enough, he’s probably what my parents HOPED my little brother would be like
He has my little bro’s amazing temperament and emotional intelligence but has my academic drive (and studies a “useful” field :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

1 Like

Was chatting with a nephew on Thanksgiving about his current girlfriend, who he met through an app?/site? he called Hinged. I asked him if there was a site called Unhinged that someone like me could use.

1 Like

I never met a lunatic, female or male, that was self aware enough to actually identify as such.

They all believe they’re fine. It’s everybody else that is messed up.

1 Like

It’s the world we live in now. 99% of it.

1 Like

I have legit wasted an hour of my life and $125 trying to convince my therapist I was crazy. Now we just agree to disagree.

1 Like

It’s not crazy. Yours is a rational response to an irrational situation. (That’s what mine says.)

That’ll be a buck fitty. Unless you hook me up with that one crazy chick from a few mos. ago.

Then it’s 3 bills. :rofl:

1 Like

Of you can handle the fallout, it’ll be worth the trouble :joy:

1 Like

Quite an interesting thread…

I have made a lot of actual good friends from the gym; these aren’t just a “hey hi whats up,” but even my best friend from university was someone I met at the gym and it just happens overtime at least for someone like me who is generally very friendly and always open to conversation. There are however a lot of people who I’ve seen for months and I try to even wave “hi” who don’t wave back so its a person-to-person thing.

This is fo guys ^, I think there is a completely different stigma for girls as it’s often seen as a big no-no to try to "befriend’ girls or initiate contact with girls in the gyms. Generally just for gymbros.

Oh and my parents actually got arranged marriage.
I read some people here were commenting about arrange marriage.

It’s definitely an RNG, somehow my parents marriage worked out but I can definitely see 100+ reason how that shit could have gone downhill, you literally don’t know who you are marrying…

When I have mentioned I was referring to a soft arrangement or matchmaking, or at least some serious vetting done by family members, not the sort of arrangement in which a woman is coerced to marry a stranger man (not the sort of modern “if s/he makes you happy”).

1 Like

I can’t speak for all arrange marriages but my parents’ was quick, just saw each other a few times in a family setting, aligned the horoscopes, stars and then it was done within a month or so.
They both had say in it, but it seems rather mechanical, you still don’t really know the person (I mean cmon do you know anyone after just talking to them 3-4 times?).

The whole system is kind of weird, I don’t agree with it personally, but it is what has been happening in my family for generations now.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. One can make a decision relatively quickly though. I think six months to a year is sufficient, rather than some drawn out, indefinite boyfriend-girlfriend construct with no closure in sight. I have stated my views on this construct in this thread, to wit, knowing what I now know and have observed, if I were a single man now, I would not have a perennial girlfriend in the modern concept of one. That is considering I think having one can be enormously resource draining and restrictive without any real payoff for restrictions on time and personal space (children, vows to be there through thick and thin, joining of family’s resources, etc.). I accept such restrictions because I’m married with children. Otherwise no.

I wouldn’t be interested in perpetually “hanging out” and “talking to” someone or going on one gorillion dates.

To each his own though.

2 Likes

Okay guys so i’m asking because I’m really terrible at knowing if a girl likes you or not.

So there’s a girl at the gym who’s I have been chatting about sports for a while. A couple weeks ago i did a WOD with her and 3 girls then she invited me to hike to the most famous mount here (for whatever reason I had never hiked it) and she paid me food and drove (had no choice).

Yesterday she asked me to go with her to an old carry and do some WODs in nature. Same thing. As we were talking about food (French people always talk about food) and specifically brunch I asked her out to eat brunch this morning. So she cancelled her plan of visiting a friend and we had a delicious brunch. I impose myself to drive her there and gently pushed her away from the waiter so that i could pay this time and she was like “oh you shouldn’t have really, next saturday let’s do a WOD and then I’ll pay you the restaurant blah blah blah”

So a friend told me she was literally making me headlight flashing, but I don’t know lol. She never attempted physical contact or something (I had when I told funny jokes or shit). So I don’t know. Maybe I should just ask her out explicitely or something? She has several male friends, so she perhaps only sees me as a friend as well

2 Likes

I’d lean toward yeah, she likes you.

Making specific plans and moving/canceling other things is placing you as a priority.

That’s actually pretty big.

3 Likes

Yup, she likes you! Ask her out again.

3 Likes

Fo sho into you big dawg!!! Hell yea man

2 Likes

This.

3 Likes

She likes you.

1 Like