The Dark Tower Movie and Series

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Stephen King’s tv movies ALWAYS suck. Luckily, they are finally giving his movies the direction and scope they deserve because the last few movie attempts have been spot on. If you haven’t seen The Mist, watch it. It is possibly the best collaboration of his between author, director and script writer.[/quote]

I think that’s the kind of depth and collaboration that they’re shooting for with this project…

But like I said I have my doubts about Ron Howard…

Honestly Polo I would rather them use someone like Howard instead of all action block buster Transformer type director. This book had depth of the main character that I think Howard can pull that part off.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Stephen King’s tv movies ALWAYS suck. Luckily, they are finally giving his movies the direction and scope they deserve because the last few movie attempts have been spot on. If you haven’t seen The Mist, watch it. It is possibly the best collaboration of his between author, director and script writer.[/quote]

I think that’s the kind of depth and collaboration that they’re shooting for with this project…

But like I said I have my doubts about Ron Howard…[/quote]

His track record is improving…and it is about time. If this were the 90’s, I could see the fear of it…but from Shawshank, Greenmile to the Mist, I would think directors now know how to do it right instead of going for the more “camp” styles that they were using in the 90’s with his films.

I just watched The Golden Years for the first time and DAMN did that suck!

Okay how about a video game of the Tower series. Sorry just came to mind. I think that would be cool also.

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Honestly Polo I would rather them use someone like Howard instead of all action block buster Transformer type director. This book had depth of the main character that I think Howard can pull that part off. [/quote]

I agree, I thought that Abrams would’ve been great … I just can’t remember any of Howards movies that involved that much detail that I think Dark Tower requires…just not sure if he can handle it is all

A beautiful mind? I had to google to see what he had done again.

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I think they should get Jay Cutler to play the Tick Tock Man tho…I always pictured him as Jay Cutler[/quote]

I always saw Tick Tock as a thin guy, John Malkovich or Gary Oldman type.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I think they should get Jay Cutler to play the Tick Tock Man tho…I always pictured him as Jay Cutler[/quote]

I always saw Tick Tock as a thin guy, John Malkovich or Gary Oldman type.[/quote]

yea but Tick Tock was Hyooooge and blond

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

I always saw Tick Tock as a thin guy, John Malkovich or Gary Oldman type.[/quote]

yea but Tick Tock was Hyooooge and blond[/quote]

True, just my mind mixing the books.

I would love to see an animated HBO series of The Dark Tower. I think that is the only way to ever do it justice. The characters are just so ingrained in my mind that no matter who plays them, they aren’t going to look right. Plus you have to have the kid actors for the flashbacks to when Roland was young, and kid actors annoy me.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I would love to see an animated HBO series of The Dark Tower. I think that is the only way to ever do it justice. The characters are just so ingrained in my mind that no matter who plays them, they aren’t going to look right. Plus you have to have the kid actors for the flashbacks to when Roland was young, and kid actors annoy me.[/quote]

if they did that they should bring in the artists who drew the comic for Marvel to animate the series … they did an awesome job

[quote]doogie wrote:
I would love to see an animated HBO series of The Dark Tower. I think that is the only way to ever do it justice. The characters are just so ingrained in my mind that no matter who plays them, they aren’t going to look right. Plus you have to have the kid actors for the flashbacks to when Roland was young, and kid actors annoy me.[/quote]

Hadnt thought about that, kind of Beowolf type? Final Fantasy type animated? Shit I guess it is getting that time to go back and re-read the series. So long between the first 4 and the last 3.

I wonder if it will be in actual chronological order or in book order.

Maybe we’ll all get lucky and JJ Abrams will somehow amend and thereby rescue the last 3 books of the series from themselves (start with NOT writing Stephen King into it).

I’ve always thought Gary Sinise would make a decent Roland Deschain, but at his age it may be more appropriate that he play his dad.

Jay Cutler’s too short to play the Tick Tock Man, but that would be cool.

No. I want all unknown actors for this. That way, you’re getting fresh (not too fresh for Roland) faces, no contract disputes, and they can find people who look more like the characters should. Trust me on this: I’ve seen Roland of Gilead in a few guys here in Montana.

I think the animated series on a pay network like HBO or Showtime would be best, though. Kinda how they did Spawn, but it’ll be better because I like this more.

I swear to Chrsit if they fuck this up by writing it for the lowest common douchebag, I’m bombing Hollywood.

OH SHIT!!

Great news to be shared. A book set between ‘Wizards and Glass’ and ‘Wolves of the Calla’ is on it’s way. As already stated, Ron Howard might be directing, and they’re talking about a 7 movie franchise.

has anybody picked up the graphic novel? i read the first few issues, the art is fantastic. it details a lot of roland’s early life.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:
has anybody picked up the graphic novel? i read the first few issues, the art is fantastic. it details a lot of roland’s early life.[/quote]

I got the first series (the Gunslinger Born) as it came out and enjoyed it thoroughly.

I’ve been putting off getting the combined series for ages, strictly due to fiscal considerations.

The graphic novels are amazing. No decent comic stores near mine since the one next door shut down, so I can’t get hold of the forth set of comics until they release them in hardcover later this year. Well worth getting the three that are out though.
Actors: Agreed with the unknown actors idea. However, how much make-up do you think Clint Eastwood would need to play Roland? I know it’d be a stretch, but he is the only known actor who could play Roland (for me anyway). Oh, and Tick Tock man would be awesome portrayed by Cutler.

Director: Whoever it is, they have about a maximum 10% chance of doing it so that more than 50% of the fans are pleased.

TV Series: Might work, but I would love to see all seven books made into films. As it said in that article though, it’s a big undertaking, and they’d need more than just the book fans to see it to keep it in the black.

Finally, on the video game idea: You’d have to say what genre. Back in the day, a text-based “The gunslinger” might have been good, but I can’t think of a genre to do it justice. There is one on the Stephen King site called Discordia, it’s point and click:

has anybody picked up the graphic novel? i read the first few issues, the art is fantastic. it details a lot of roland’s early life.[/quote]

the first GN is the story of what happens in Wizard and Glass … it was pretty cool

The art was amazing

I wanna get the other two GN’s and they’re making another one about the battle of Jericho Hill

[quote]polo77j wrote:

the first GN is the story of what happens in Wizard and Glass … it was pretty cool

The art was amazing

I wanna get the other two GN’s and they’re making another one about the battle of Jericho Hill[/quote]
There are 4 GNs (Gunslinger Born, Long Road Home, Treachery and Fall of Gilead) out, and the fifth is due out soon (Battle of Jericho Hill), although amazon won’t tell me when. Just so you know.
Edit: IGN says August.