The Dark Tower Movie and Series

It has been rumored and confirmed that a movie, specifically a trilogy, AND a tv series adapted from The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Originally they were talking about the creators of Lost being involved with the adaptation and production (Abrams, Lindeloff, and Cuse) which I thought would be just about perfect. Unfortunately, that deal has fallen through since, apparently, the Lost creators felt that “they wouldn’t do the series justice.”

Enter Ron Howard. Ron Howard has now been fingered for the job of directing this epic undertaking.

Thoughts?

Okay I asked in the other thread,
I love this series, it sucked to wait 14 years between the first and last. However I have read where King saw the gunslinger as Eastwood who will play the part? Brolin maybe.

^Yea I saw that you asked that and I didn’t want to hijack that kids thread so I made this one :slight_smile:

I think Brolin would be a perfect choice considering that Roland is supposed to be “tall, dark, and ugly” according to Eddie. But I think Brolin’s eyes are brown not bombadier blue as described numerous times throughout the series

I originally thought Timpthy Olyphant would do a good job given his build is like how Roland’s is described and he’s doing a great job in Justified, except his eyes are brown also.

Contacts maybe. That would seem a small detail. I finally got to see the new Brolin trailer last night. That is what made me think about it. I also love “The Stand” I go back and read it every few years, however the mini series sucked big balls. Would rather see them do this as a trilogy not a mini series.

Agreed. I can’t remember a miniseries that didn’t suck. A trilogy would be good though. Amazing tale, though making it accessible to the non-King fan might be a little work. I hope they don’t butcher it. Slight hijack, anyone keeping tab’s on HBO’s GRRM’s SOIAF?

quite so

A dark tower miniseries isn’t essential for me as King has had so much work turned into film already, some works even multiple times (and why do an already great Shining again?).

Other authors deserve some spotlight, too.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

quite so

A dark tower miniseries isn’t essential for me as King has had so much work turned into film already, some works even multiple times (and why do an already great Shining again?).

Other authors deserve some spotlight, too.[/quote]

Such as? And I think this was a discussion about the actual story he wrote and the wish to see it in film.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

quite so

Such as? And I think this was a discussion about the actual story he wrote and the wish to see it in film. [/quote]

It was …

I think Schwarz should start a thread called “Authors who deserve their books made into movies…” instead of shitting in this very specific thread meant for Dark Tower enthusiasts…

The Dark Tower WAS a great series…fun to read, descriptive and character driven.

I don’t see how the movie can do it justice.

Why can’t Will Smith play the gunslinger?

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

quite so

Such as? And I think this was a discussion about the actual story he wrote and the wish to see it in film. [/quote]

It was …

I think Schwarz should start a thread called “Authors who deserve their books made into movies…” instead of shitting in this very specific thread meant for Dark Tower enthusiasts…[/quote]

I agree and Polo you have the rep on here to call someone out. I retyped my answer about 10 times to his quote.

[quote]Edgy wrote:
The Dark Tower WAS a great series…fun to read, descriptive and character driven.

I don’t see how the movie can do it justice.

Why can’t Will Smith play the gunslinger?

[/quote]

I’m not even going to comment on his skin color or his eye color

I will point out the uhhhhmaaaaaazing movie he was in called Wild Wild West …

And [b]THAT’S[/b} why Will Smith can’t play the gunslinger

So who plays the “Walking Dude”. Who plays the crazy para? Jake?

[quote]DJHT wrote:
So who plays the “Walking Dude”. Who plays the crazy para? Jake?[/quote]

I’d think Halle Berry would play Odetta/Detta/Susannah

Jake? I dunno

I think they should get Jay Cutler to play the Tick Tock Man tho…I always pictured him as Jay Cutler

whose voice would be Blaine?

[quote]Edgy wrote:
whose voice would be Blaine?[/quote]

Morgan Freeman…Ha just kidding. Need to be crazy sinister… Steve Buscime

[quote]Edgy wrote:
whose voice would be Blaine?[/quote]

Morgan Freeman of course (kidding!!)

I was thinking something similar to Hal the computer from 2001:a Space Odyssey

either way it has to be manically calm and chilling

Edit: HAHAH @ DJHT … great minds … also I kinda agree that Steve Buscemi would be a good choice

Damn I thought you were responding after I posted, that is funny. I have been talking to my friend Doogie (he is on here) about this topic for almost 20 years.

Stephen King’s tv movies ALWAYS suck. Luckily, they are finally giving his movies the direction and scope they deserve because the last few movie attempts have been spot on. If you haven’t seen The Mist, watch it. It is possibly the best collaboration of his between author, director and script writer.

I have my reservations about it though, I mean if visionaires like Abrams and Lindeloff think that they can’t do it justice, what makes some foo-foo director like Ron Howard think he can pull it off? Either way I don’t want him to fuck it up…

I watched the Mist and thought the did a great job. The short story was one of my favorites, cause I loved the way it ended and of course they could not do that in the movie. But they did a hell of job. They should have King on set and write the screen play for The Tower.