Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Just caught up on this, and will definitely be implementing some of this info.

Sorry, it can be tough to keep up in here. I love learning and discussing things and the training log is the perfect place to do it - no need to start a new thread every time something pops into my head. If you take a few days off then you might come back to 50+ new posts. Some of it is gold (like today) and some of it is nonsense. :laughing:

Why rest longer what does it help? I’m curious

Are you talking about resting longer between sets?

Each rep scheme has a different goal. The heavy sets of 5-6 are for max strength so it’s important to rest until your body is fully recovered and ready to give max effort again.

The moderate reps (8-12) are for hypertrophy and don’t require you to be 100% on each set. These sets are about generating metabolic fatigue so some residual fatigue is ok.

The high rep sets are for endurance and volumization. Here’s an excerpt from Part 2.

6 – Do an Endurance/Volumization Exercise for Each Body Part

While those who like to feel the burn and maximize the pump tend to neglect heavy, low-rep sets, those who like to lift heavy tend to neglect the higher rep-range.

Doing sets of more than 10 or 12 reps is great for increasing endurance, but you probably don’t care. But you do care about the visual effects that occur as a result of doing higher rep sets.

Training in this higher rep range obviously prolongs the Time Under Tension (TUT), and it’s this longer TUT that stimulates hypertrophy very well.

Since this hypertrophy resulting from high-rep sets isn’t primarily coming from an increase in the size of the contractile component of the muscle (i.e., actin & myosin filaments), it’s often called non-functional hypertrophy…a term I don’t care for as it’s very misleading.

When we’re talking specifically about enlargement of a muscle by means other than muscle fibers, I prefer to use the term volumization . Whether you prefer the term non-functional hypertrophy or volumization, we’re talking about an increase in the cross-sectional area of a muscle via an increase in size and/or number of mitochondria, capillaries, enlargement of the sarcoplasmic reticulum, etc.

Generally speaking, doing sets of about 12-20 reps is perfect for stimulating muscle volumization. The cosmetic result tends to be rounder, fuller-looking muscles.

So keep in mind, when your goal is larger muscles, you want to enlarge ALL components of the muscle. Failing to do so is like leaving money on the table.

I suggest reading the two part article if you’re curious about building muscle for looks (it’ll also be functional).

1 Like

dude you definitely look like you lift…

1 Like

Woke at 220.4 lbs. I really thought today was the day I’d see 219 because I got up to piss three times between 1040 and midnight. I was beginning to think something was wrong with me. I guess it was the water I drank before bed.

Today would be chest day according to the new split but I hit chest Tuesday. Tomorrow would be back day but I hit that pretty good Monday. I think I’ll do a short combined session tomorrow or Saturday and start fresh Monday.

1 Like

Woke at 220.4 lbs. I could’ve eaten better yesterday. I went over budget by like 9 calories but dinner was cheap pizza again. We’re going to Taco Bell tonight so I’ll have more sodium and another large meal.

Two days at 220.4 eh… I be you’ll see that elusive 219 tomorrow. Just have a slightly bigger lunch and a shake for dinner. Find an excuse to skip out on Taco Bell!!!

No way, man!!! I eat Taco Bell like once a year. We’re celebrating my nephew’s birthday so he gets to pick the place. He’s picked Taco Bell the last two years and it’s been the only time I’ve eaten there.

I want to get three Cheesy Gordita Crunches but they’re 500 calories a piece. I’m opting for three Chicken or Steak Baja Gordita Supremes. They’re only 260-270 calories a piece. I can hit 219 next week; I gotta live a little :wink:

I planned my food for the day though.

• A double shake and two small bananas mid morning.
  • 1 cup rice, 3 oz broccoli w/ 2 TBSP zesty Italian dressing, and 6 oz of chicken for lunch.
  • The same minus the rice for the afternoon. I’ll be at 1333 cals, 126g carbs, 28g fat, and 140g protein before dinner.
  • Dinner will be three Gordita Supremes

Totals for the day: 2113 cals, 213g carbs, 55g fat, 188g protein

It’s more of an IIFYM approach today. I might even have a shake before bed to reach my protein goal of 219 grams.

I would say, in the grand scheme of things, this isn’t such a bad day.

3 Likes

Sounds like a solid plan, your scale might bump up a little tomorrow morning, but it shouldn’t affect your long-term progress.

Of course, one day your nephew’s tastes will grow up a little and he’ll surprise you by picking somewhere else to eat…

1 Like

Enjoy brother! I’ve been craving French fries as of late… 8 more days!

1 Like

I’m lucky he didn’t pick Dairy Queen. They have buy one blizzard, get one for $.99 this month! I’m a sucker for cookie dough.

1 Like

I’m about to hit the gym for my lunch break and blasted this during the drive. It played right at the start of my leg day Wednesday and got me pumped (too bad I wasn’t deadlifting).

1 Like

This was me earlier this week.

My missus actually asked me if I was having a piece of little man’s birthday cake. As if it was a serious question and there was any way one earth I’d say no.

That’s more a question of are you only going to have one piece…

Light Upper Body Session

PULLS UPS
BW x 8 x 4 sets
Used a little knee raise action to do set three and the final two reps on set four.

superset with

DB OHP
45s x 8 x 4 sets

BENT OVER ROW
135 x 8
155 x 8 x 3 sets

superset with

INCLINE BENCH
135 x 8
145 x 8 x 3 sets
Bent over rows sucked. I feel no MMC. I need to do something else or lighten the load and do slow eccentrics.

3 HEADED MONSTER
(front raise, lat raise, bent over rev fly)
15s x 10 ea (front/lat/rear)
15s x 10 ea (lat/rear/front)
15s x 10 ea (rear/front/lat)
I changed which movement went first in the circuit to mess with fatigue a bit. I was basically doing clean pull lat raises on round three :smile:

Total Time: 32 minutes and I got sweaty. Oh, well.

3 Likes

Nice and quick little one you got in there J

1 Like

Funny thing with BB Rows. Once I stopped trying to be overly strict and cheat a lot more I started feeling WAY more MMC in my back. I think when you are too strict or too slow with the movement it becomes an arm movement vs a back movement.

At the 4ish minute mark Ed explains it pretty well.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I misjudged slicing it up at the party, so there was only enough left for one piece. Next year though.

My thoughts on this (for what they’re worth) is that if you stop the set when you start reaching perfect technical failure, you never get a good pump on these. I start out really strict with pauses etc., then get slowly more and more lax as the set goes on. I’d rather do more shitty reps than stop the set because I can’t do perfect ones.

2 Likes

Well, I stuck with my plan for Taco Bell but I didn’t account for birthday cake. I had a small piece of lemon cake with marshmallow frosting. It was delicious. I also had some extra chicken from my wife’s meal since she’s a vegan.

I think I went a bit over budget but I also adjusted my calories for my new weight. I dropped my daily cals to 2420 from 500. It’s not much but I’m 24 cals over today due to the change (although I’m just guessing about the cake).

I bought a new toy today! It’s glorious.

I also just ran through some new hip exercises.

Prone Straddle Hold
No YouTube video so here’s a screen shot.

3 Likes