T Nation

The Dark Side (JMaier's a Bodybuilder Now)

bodybuilding
t-ransformation2018
strength
t-ransformation2019
performance

I see. I don’t think that’s a common thing, and it sucks if that is the source of your pain. Hope you get the help you need, but unfortunately it may (still) take a while.

1 Like

Woke at 220.6 lbs. That was a pleasant surprise. I thought I went over budget with some wine last night but the scale didn’t seem to mind. Hopefully I can stay close to this weight instead of rebounding a couple pounds like last week.

No basketball this week. I’ll replace it with bike and elliptical sessions.

Here’s my weight trend. It looks like it’s still steady so I’m not adjusting calories yet.

5 Likes

Nice to see the trends doing what you want them to over a long time period like that. I still only have a couple weeks of data on my tracker.

I love collecting data. I continue to log my weight every morning even when I’m not tracking my food. I’ve been tracking my food off and on since about 2005ish. I had a nutrition class that made us use FitDay for a week or so. After that we had to make adjustments to hit our RDAs. I wasn’t even close to the RDAs since they’re all based on a 2000 calorie diet and I was in a bulking phase.

I’ve been using something to track food or body measurements since then.

If you log on to My Fitness Pal on an actual computer then you can add more measurements to track. I track all of my circumference measurements too. Once you add them on the PC they’ll show up in the app.

As you can see it’s another gorgeous day here and currently feels like -12.

1 Like

The wind has died down over here so the ‘feels like’ is up to 0F. Practically toasty. I had 2 people call out sick this morning, so not having a fun morning.

1 Like

That’s awesome progress man! Once you hit your goal it’s gonna feel so good. Bike and elliptical doesn’t sound like as much fun as basketball, but you gotta listen to your body. When I look at my data over time it looks like a damn yo yo. 170-180-170-180-165-180. Haha. These bulls and cuts aren’t working I guess lol

2 Likes

I guess not! My log is open to the public so anyone who wants to tell me I didn’t do something right can look for themselves. I ate. I gained weight slowly over time. I worked hard in the gym. NO MUSCLE.

I guess there’s a point where you just hit your natural ceiling. I’m not giving up though. I’m just not eating at a surplus again. After this, I’ll go to maintenence and let my splurges and treats be my surplus for any growth. I might be the type who can only add a pound or two of muscle in a year instead of two months. And that’s going to be tough to track. If I use the 3500 calorie per pound equation then I’ll basically need to eat at a 2 calorie surplus every day! :laughing:

1 Like

Set up a little hoop in front of the bike.

3 Likes

Back Training

WARM UP
Foam rolling and parts of the Limber 11

ABS
Lying Leg Raise with Pulse Up 2 x 10
45* Back Ext 2 x 15 w/ 25 lbs

PULL UPS
10 neutral
5-2-2

RDLs
115 x 15 x 2 sets
I set up for clean pulls and deadlifting 115 lbs hurt my knee and hip. I decided some extra hamstring work wouldn’t hurt.

HANG CLEAN PULL
155 x 5
265 x 3 x 4 sets
Lateral band walks in between sets.

SEATED CABLE ROW (w/ Shirley Row at the start of each rep)
160 x 10
160 x 10
160 x 8-3-3-3-3-2 (myo set)

DUAL CABLE LAT PULL DOWN
260 x 15
260 x 8F/8B/8T
260 x 7 (1.5 reps)

REV CABLE FLY (21s)
30 x 10F/10T/10B
20 x 10F/10T/10B
20 x 10F/7T/10B

REV CABLE CURL (350 set)
60 x 28, 14, 10

ELLIPTICAL
2:1 interval, 16 minutes while watching Netflix, 1.34 miles, 169 calories

My warm up took almost 20 minutes. My glutes now have knots in them. It’s like the less I do, the worse I get. Lifting took 75 minutes. I have no idea where the time went today. I had to stop the elliptical because my two hour time minute for the Kid Zone was up.

3 Likes

After seeing Paul Carter post about it a few times I started doing hamstring curls (band at home, machine at the gym) as part of my warmup on squat/deadlift days. Seems like it could be placebo, but my knees have been feeling better during my workouts for it.

3 Likes

Put me in there as well. I’ve been bulking for a year went from 79 kg - 83 kg from january 1 - to late august. then 83 - 89,5 from late august to new year. Now I’m back to 83 kg and I’m still not as lean as I was at 80 kg.

I don’t think leg curls do too much in terms of performance but increased blood flow always helps. The hamstrings most important task is deceleration when running, jumping, cutting, and hip extension. None of that requires the knee to bend against resistance.

Now, that being said, I still do leg curls but I think good mornings and RDLs are the better choices since they load up the eccentric portion of a hip extension movement.

I’m down to 220-222 and I still don’t look as lean as I’d hoped. My sides are holding on to fat until the very end. I’m going to be furious if I look worse than when I started back in 2017 (217+ lbs).

2 Likes

Even though these aren’t as soft as I’d like, I still want one every time I walk in the kitchen. :angry:

5 Likes

Well I took two Aleve and iced my knee after I got home earlier (2pm, it’s 7:22 now). I couldn’t even go up the stairs at the Y earlier. I had to put significant pressure on the hand rail like a crutch. My knee and hip both hurt to the point where I couldn’t force myself to do the work of going up the stairs. Pain is causing weakness.

Well here I am now feeling much better. I have very little discomfort on the stairs and my muscles aren’t being inhibited nearly as much.

I guess the key to this thing is Aleve…at least for today.

1 Like

When you have children in the house, there will be food temptations. We keep so much candy and sweets in my house it should be illegal.

Doesn’t phase me though. #goals

Got to get this knee and hip trending in the right direction. What are we going to do??? That deadlift session inflamed your knee (and hip). Back when I had knee issues, deadlift pissed it off the most. The start position is major suck.

It wasn’t exactly a deadlift session. I was hoping to do clean pulls and I was going to warm up with deadlifts and then pulls til I hit my working weight. 115 lbs hurt so I stopped.

I can feel the tightness of my TFL and IT band. I just don’t know how to fix it. I have a pop in my knee and hip from the tissue sliding over bone structures.

Muscle tightness has been a problem the entire time I’ve dealt with hip pain. No one seems to be able to help me relieve it. Dry needling and graston had no effect. My hip surgeon told me I was probably spinning my wheels with that stuff. Maybe the PT will have an idea?

1 Like

PT should be able to help you out. Everything has a cause, and if the PT is worth his salt he’ll be able to help you out. My best guess is that he’ll do some sort of ART to loosen you up. Hopefully it’ll be something that you can continue to do on your own at home or at the Y

2 Likes

I’ve always answered that I’d like to stay in shape. I think in one sentence, this sums up why most people aren’t in shape.

2 Likes

Nice work J.

This post reminds me of the value of daily weigh ins

1 Like

Cookies!!! I started salivating…