Just. Don't. Suck (Part 1)

Hahaha we are all alike in here, that’s why I like this place, we’re all one of a kind. A bit obsessed.
When people ask how much I train and stuff like that, I just respond… well I try to get to the gym 2 - 4 times a week… And I know I workout at least 4 times a week, knowing exactly what to do. The same with eating, at the moment I say no thanks to everything and they just look at me asking why…

4 Likes

Stick with it man, training with injuries is the worst. And if physical therapy isn’t helping after 2-3 weeks- might be time to fire your therapist. I hear there are plenty other out there. And I don’t know how much you love basketball, but that’s the first thing I might cut out (for a while) if I were you. I’m rooting for ya.

What type of injury is it ? Was it caused by lifting ?

This will be my first trip back to PT since my post-op rehab a year ago. He’s supposed to evaluate my hip and look for anything that’s off. I’m guessing there’s a weakness somewhere in there that’s causing me to compensate. I have a lot of tight muscles in the area and I can’t seem to find any relief. I tried a lot of tissue work at the chiropractor in January and the tissues/muscles wouldn’t let up. Something is off and it’s causing the tightness.

@Rizla81, the muscle tightness in my hip has caused IT band syndrome (I think). You know how it works. A problem in one area of the body eventually affects another area due to compensation patterns.

Oh, and @trimtabber79, basketball is my favorite sport! I love playing but it’s time to stop. Unfortunately, I also just started.

1 Like

I had to look that up as I’ve never heard of it. The diagram shows the link from hip to knee. This muscle is tight or inflamed? One source said complete rest for 6 weeks clears it up, yet another source is saying it’s very difficult to stretch it ( if it can be done at all ). Sounds like an annoying sore problem. Hope you are able to get some relief eventually bud.

Well, it’s called a syndrome for a reason - it’s a complicated combination of problems. The Tensor Fasciae Latae muscle starts at the hip and attaches to the outside of the knee. The lower portion of the muscle is the IT band. The TFL is tight and it causes the tissue in the knee to rub when the knee bends. I guess that causes inflammation in the knee and causes the knee pain. The cause of the knee pain is always in the hip though. I have to figure out why the TFL is so tight.

I’ve read several treatment protocols. Some say to foam roll it. Some say don’t roll it because it might agitate the tissue. Some say to “release” the tissue by doing light massage. The one consistency in treatment is rest from painful activities and strengthening the muscles in the hip (abductors, glute medius and minimus).

I didn’t read your whole log, but any history of lumbar pain on that side? Strengthening those muscles can help, as can stretching of the hip itself. A good PT will screen all areas in the location and try to address them all. Soft tissue work alone can be hit or miss.

1 Like

It sounds complicated and way out of my anatomy knowledge. Probably best left to a professional physio to get to the bottom of it. Have you tried complete rest? That might be hard with your work and lifestyle commitment. Would yoga stuff help, you tried that? Maybe that might make things worse I ain’t got a clue

No lumbar pain on that side until my initial symptoms surfaced in the first half of 2017. That pain was more from the muscle tightness. One theory I heard from a chiropractor was that my body was guarding an injury. Eventually I found out that I had a torn hip labrum. I had surgery December 2017 and life was great until July of 2018 when my pain returned. A recent MRI showed that the surgery was holding up, but I have bone growth that isn’t supposed to be there. It may or may not be causing my hip pain. If it’s the problem then it’s possible that my body is guarding the area again resulting in all these tight muscles.

Over the past two years I’ve spent a lot of time with two different chiropractors and a physical therapist. We’ve tried a lot of things to find relief.

Close. December was my bodyweight month. I only did bodyweight work with my legs. I dropped squats, deadlifts and spinal loading in mid November. I ran in December for conditioning and dropped that for three weeks in January. I also dropped the body weight stuff in January. The funny thing is my IT symptoms surfaced after I started trying to rest.

All of that rest/modification was to let my hip rest. I still have pain in the joint. The IT band pain showed up when I resumed my activities. Talk about a kick in the pants.

Yeah rest- except post surgical or post fracture for more than a day or two is almost never the answer. If I were you I’d track any treatments that were helping relieve pain even a little and sort out what exercises were on the low end of the pain scale vs those that cause crazy pain immediately. Keep working through pain, but there is a point where sharp pain may turn into 24 hour inflammation or make you start missing lifts. Basketball just seems too unpredictable and reactive if it’s full court and the jumping and landing too risky for your problem.

I suspect that either your hip capsule is tight and tightening everything else around it, or the nerves around your low back are contributing to something here. Either way, a good PT should either find an answer or - onto the next thing.

2 Likes

PT is the next and probably last stop. This whole time I’ve been thinking that I need to find someone who really evaluates movement. And I mean really evaluates it - like, can watch me perform an exercise and see dysfunction and know the cause and possible effects. But I really don’t know of any profession that does that. We have tons of different types of doctors, but I don’t know of any who can do that type of analysis. I’m hoping the PT can spot something.

I’m pretty sure he’ll be able to treat the IT band problem even if he can’t solve the other issues. I’ll take that for now.

Before I shut things down the only things that bothered my hip were squats and deadlifts. I really like deadlifts but I could avoid those if that’s the only problem I have left. I’m done with squats. It doesn’t make sense for my hip structure to continue doing that movement. I would be happy to get back to where I was in November. Deadlifts made my hip ache but compared to now that was great. I could also play basketball pain free.

Regardless of what happens next, if problems with my hip continue then I might push for another surgery to remove the bone. The hip surgeon told me he’s not certain if it’s the problem or not.

Here’s a recent post that describes the bone thing:

I see. I don’t think that’s a common thing, and it sucks if that is the source of your pain. Hope you get the help you need, but unfortunately it may (still) take a while.

1 Like

Woke at 220.6 lbs. That was a pleasant surprise. I thought I went over budget with some wine last night but the scale didn’t seem to mind. Hopefully I can stay close to this weight instead of rebounding a couple pounds like last week.

No basketball this week. I’ll replace it with bike and elliptical sessions.

Here’s my weight trend. It looks like it’s still steady so I’m not adjusting calories yet.

5 Likes

Nice to see the trends doing what you want them to over a long time period like that. I still only have a couple weeks of data on my tracker.

I love collecting data. I continue to log my weight every morning even when I’m not tracking my food. I’ve been tracking my food off and on since about 2005ish. I had a nutrition class that made us use FitDay for a week or so. After that we had to make adjustments to hit our RDAs. I wasn’t even close to the RDAs since they’re all based on a 2000 calorie diet and I was in a bulking phase.

I’ve been using something to track food or body measurements since then.

If you log on to My Fitness Pal on an actual computer then you can add more measurements to track. I track all of my circumference measurements too. Once you add them on the PC they’ll show up in the app.

As you can see it’s another gorgeous day here and currently feels like -12.

1 Like

The wind has died down over here so the ‘feels like’ is up to 0F. Practically toasty. I had 2 people call out sick this morning, so not having a fun morning.

1 Like

That’s awesome progress man! Once you hit your goal it’s gonna feel so good. Bike and elliptical doesn’t sound like as much fun as basketball, but you gotta listen to your body. When I look at my data over time it looks like a damn yo yo. 170-180-170-180-165-180. Haha. These bulls and cuts aren’t working I guess lol

2 Likes

I guess not! My log is open to the public so anyone who wants to tell me I didn’t do something right can look for themselves. I ate. I gained weight slowly over time. I worked hard in the gym. NO MUSCLE.

I guess there’s a point where you just hit your natural ceiling. I’m not giving up though. I’m just not eating at a surplus again. After this, I’ll go to maintenence and let my splurges and treats be my surplus for any growth. I might be the type who can only add a pound or two of muscle in a year instead of two months. And that’s going to be tough to track. If I use the 3500 calorie per pound equation then I’ll basically need to eat at a 2 calorie surplus every day! :laughing:

1 Like

Set up a little hoop in front of the bike.

3 Likes