The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

I think you can vouch for something even if you haven’t done the specific version about which people are asking.

“Can I substitute seated DB OHP for OHP in OG 5/3/1?”

Well, even if I haven’t personally done that specific rep scheme and programming, I’m confident that if someone pushes themselves on the exercise then they will see results.

I also think there are a lot of conditional statements when it comes to programming in general.

"Will I get stronger at X if I do Y?

The answer is always an if, then statement. “If you put in the required effort (training, recovery, and nutrition), then yes, you will see results.”

Could you ever really vouch for something (in terms of training effects) when you don’t have control over the variables?

I am honestly of the opposite opinion. I feel there is too much theorycraft out there right now, and only listen to those with first hand experience.

And I figure abiding by that forces me to either get some experience or be quiet, haha. I can’t vouch if it will work for THAT person, but I can say if it did or did not work for me.

2 Likes

I do believe that if you do a similar variation, trap bar dead, SSB squat, incline press or something, I would vouch for it to work on getting stronger on that particular movement. Not necessary stronger on DL, Back Squat or Bench press.
And I think when Jim says it’s not his program then he means you won’t necessarily be stronger on the powerlifts.
Jims approach is a bit harsh, but I kind of like his tone, I don’t always agree with him. But he often has a point.
I like his new approach with some jumps and throws before lifting to get people moving and doing some athletic movements.

I’m the same. I’ll only vouch for something I have actual experience doing. For example, I can vouch for tuna in oatmeal not being absolutely terrible.

1 Like

I wouldn’t vouch for something that I haven’t done personally, but if somebody asks me a question, I can still answer it to the best of my ability. It also depends if someone is asking me an opinion question, e.g “what’s the best assistance exercises for X?”

Or if they’re asking me a question to which the answer is rooted in scientific fact, e.g “what is the optimal training frequency for a natural lifter looking to stimulate muscle protein synthesis as often as possible?”, I’d probably have to defer to Mr. Nuckols. Beyond “uhhh more than once a week,” I don’t know.

Gonna agree with all this. I really dig the no-bullshit attitude he has, which is one of the things that drew me to 5/3/1 in the first place. Reading his article from like 2009 on TN got me fired up because he seemed to hardcore and down to earth. I don’t agree with everything he does either (+ sets for deadlifts mainly) but I’m willing to listen to, and try, almost anything he says. He’s a smart dude

1 Like

First you go full Kenny Loggins and then this… I am worried about you Mark :wink:

2 Likes

woke at 81,6 kg - 179,9 kg
PR day today :slight_smile:
Have never done floor press before, so every set is pretty much a PR…

1 Like

I’ve eaten some weird things in my time…

1 Like

Haven’t we all my friend, haven’t we all :wink:

2 Likes

Todays training

The Danish Vikings Darkhorse
W4D3: Bench variation 5RM

Warmup: Jump rope, stretches, BPA.

Dynamic warmup: Metcon 10 minutes 5 rounds:

• push up explosive x 3 (as explosive as I can be)
  • Bear crawl 30ish seconds
  • kneeling buttom up KB press each arm x 5
  • face pull w/ band x 10

Main Giant set:

• BB row: 10 x 40, 50, 60, 6 x 5 65 kg
  • floor press 5 x 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 3 x 80(fail) kg
    Volume
  • 60 kg x 13, 10, 10.
  • Standing band oblique crunch 9 x 10 each side
  • Elliptical Cross trainer 9 x 30 seconds

OHP emom

• 10 x 3 @ 42,5 kg

Assistance Giant set:

• DB row 3 x 10 @ 22,5 kg Each arm
  • Push up 3 x 16
  • EZ bar curl 3 x 12 @ 27,5 kg
  • Farmers walk on stairs 2 x 20 kg 35’ish seconds

Done in 1 hour 10 minutes

Lots of PR’s about every set was a PR, but I guess they don’t really count.
Very odd feeling, don’t have a rack so had to unrack from pallets, they might have been too low, next week I’ll put them higher.
Not nearly as wasted as I was in the first couple of weeks. I am sweating a lot and when I’m done, well I’m done. Not much more energy left.

9 Likes

I’ve noticed that you’re doing more volume than @losthog. He doesn’t start his giant sets right away and seems to usually be around 5 sets of the giant set, but you’re doing 9 sets.

Do you feel like that’s taking up valuable energy resources that could be used better somewhere else in your workout?

Just an observation.

4 Likes

The last two workouts for me, I’ve been gassed or late day in a very hot gym. Limits the amount of work before total shit down. Very true in the hot gym days.

2 Likes

I do some light warmups and stretches to get the heart going.
Then I do a 10 min dynamic warm up.
Today i forgot the complex I usually do.
So about 15 minutes warm up.
Then I do 1 or 2 warmup sets.
I then do 5 ramping sets and if I get the planned weight I try a 6 set. Today it wasn’t there.
Then I do the 3 sets of backoff volume that is prescribed.
@losthog did 4 ramping sets today and 3 backoff sets.
usually I think he does like me 5 or 6 ramping sets.

And the Hog does way more assistance than I do.

I don’t think it takes up extra energy I put everything on the first giant set, recover a bit on the emom sets and if there’s something left well the assistance is nothing to talk about really :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the layout of your log compared to Hog’s. @Losthog, do you do continue your giant set with your volume sets? The way they’re typed has always made me think you stopped the giant set and just did three straight sets of volume work.

1 Like

Woke at 81,6 kg - 179,9 lbs
Summer holidays started 3 weeks off. We’re not doing much, going to a music festival 4 days in the end of this week, gonna spend another couple of days with some friends in a cottage after this.
Then we’ll see.

What type of music ??

It’s all danish bands.
Jesper Binzer lead singer D:A:D is there
It has 4 stages with all kinds of music, mostly rock and pop.
There should be an Irish tent with Yeah Irish music.
These guys are great “magtens korridorer” you could translate it to “The power of the hallways”

There’s some Ramstein Jam.

how about “Nik & Jay”

“Carpark North”

Lots of great music looking forward to it, starting wednesday through to sunday morning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Todays training

The Danish Vikings Darkhorse
W4D4: DL variation 3RM

Warmup: jump rope, yoga stuff, stretches, lazy lifter

Complex: 2 rounds

• BB x 6, DL, row, hang clean, front squat, strict press, back squat, GM, push press

Dynamic warmup:
10 rounds EMOM alternating PC and squats

• powerclean to push press 3 x 40, 45, 50, 55, 50 kg
  • 10 BW squats

Lats activation drill

• Sweeping Deadlift with band 2 x 10 @ 60 kg

Main Giant set

• KB sving 8 x 6 @ 24 kg
    Snatch grip DL 5 x 100 (D), 3 x 110(D), 3 x 120(S), 127,5(B+S), 132,5 (B+S) PR
    Volume
  • 105kg x 10(S), 8(S), 8 (S)
  • Dynamic plank 8 x 10 – 15 seconds
  • Ring dip (why not) 8 x 3

DE Squat emom
*10 x 3 75 kg

Assistance giant set

• Bulgarian split squat 3 x 12 @ BW
  • Glute bridge 5 kg plate on hips 3 x 12 (odd exercise but felt it in glutes and hammies)
  • Sit ups 3 x 12

Done in 1 hour 5 minutes.
Grip is horrible with SGDL no knurling where I hold the bar, worn off by the rack.
Used straps, but they tend to put pressure somewhere on the wrist so my little finger and thump felt numb.
Upper back is feeling it.
Next week I can only train Monday to Wednesday.
So full darkhorse OHP day Monday and bench Wednesday. Tuesday something for the lower body I’ll figure it out, maybe “just” full darkhorse Squat day or emom squat and DL some sort of deloadish.

Let’s see what I can come up with.

6 Likes

woke at 81 kg - 178,6 lbs
Strange but I do look leaner :slight_smile:
Rest day, sort of… going shopping with the missus.

1 Like

You call that a rest!!

7 Likes