The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Quality

1 Like

Agreed. I have alot more free time then you guys but i wake up to 30-50 notifications everyday then still get some throughout the day. So many logs!

3 Likes

Todays training

The Danish Vikings Darkhorse
W1D1: OHP variation 5RM

Warmup: Airdyne for about a minute, stretches, yoga stuff

Dynamic warmup: 5 rounds of

• SGHP 8 x 30, 40, 50, 50, 50 kg
  • kneeling bottom up KB press 12 kg
  • BPA x 12
  • Airdyne x 25 seconds

Complex: 2 rounds of

• bar x 5: DL, row, Hang clean, fr Squat, press, squat, GM, push press

Main Giant set:

• pull up 5 x 6 + 3 x 4
  • Pause eye OHP 5 x 27.5, 32.5, 37.5, 42,5, 47.5 kg
    Volume
  • 37,5 kg x 12, 9, 7, 4 the last set for catching up.
  • bicycle ab crunch 8 x 20
  • Concept 2 rower 8 x 20 seconds

Speed bench emom

• 10 x 3 @ 60 kg.

Assistance Giant set:

• Seated DB shoulder press 3 x 12 @ 10 kg
  • WG lat pull down 3 x 10 @ 60 kg
  • Dip 3 x 5 @ BW
  • Back raise 3 x 10 @ BW

Done in 1 hour 10 minutes.
Great workout today, had to take mini break before the top set. I kind of lost the groove and it was way harder than the set with 42.5 kg, so called it there. The volume sets are really hard, doing the amrap set first takes everything out.
Emom bench set with 60 kg was very good too.
Hey great day, happy.

10 Likes

Great job! Those warmup complexes are something I need to add into my warmups. Even if I move away from entry metcon the bar complexes will just loosen things up and prime the main movers and joints.

Solid work mort!

1 Like

Thanks Hog.
I start the clock when I start and goes for about 10 minutes, breaks the sweat and primes the body.
I try to get a ā€œbigā€ explosive movement in them.

You really enjoying the horse too?

OH yeah
Itā€™s been the best Iā€™ve tried in a long timeā€¦ BUT itā€™s early days and Iā€™m still in love. Letā€™s wait and see when the honeymoon is over.
If you ever want to do something else that is a great change in pace.
If you want to try something like it and still run 5/3/1 you could do a super or giant set with the main lift like on KB swing, DL, plank rest, after the main set do 5 sets emom with squat using 50 % of your 1RM.
Bench day would be BB row, bench, some oblique exercise and then rest. Followed by OHP EMOM.

1 Like

Lmao, I barely recover from the minimal lifting I am doingā€¦I am not brave like you boysā€¦yetā€¦

I will keep it in the back of my head, but for now, I really like what I am doing, and having some improvements, so I think I will stick with it as is. But you guys have me interestedā€¦

1 Like

Well like your bench workout today do 1-2 chin before bench, bench, and some ab work not that taxing and youā€™re done before you know it.
But as long as you like what youā€™re doing keep on.

Will keep that in mindā€¦I worry that adding stuff while doing my main lifts will drain my power/energyā€¦I am pretty lazy.

2 Likes

Fixed it for you.

1 Like

Iā€™m the same way. I donā€™t want to cause any fatigue in my core when Iā€™m doing squats or deads so the giant sets with an ab exercise are out for me.

I donā€™t really like supersets either but theyā€™re tolerable if I rest between sets. Youā€™ll see me doing some complexes soon but my new priority is conditioning.

Happy to see youā€™ve officially started the program, @mortdk! Are you using bands for the EMOM work?

No bands for me. Unfortunately. I donā€™t have anywhere to anchor them really.
So Iā€™m starting of at about 60% working up until it gets to heavy for the DE work. Then back it down.
Have tinkered with the thought of progressing for 3 weeks then go 1 week back. I still have a couple of weeks to figure it out.

Woke at 81,5 kg - 179,7 lbs
2500 calories yesterday.

Iā€™ve just started this program and Iā€™m already starting to think about what to do next.
Probably CTā€™s strength thing.

2 Likes

Why not anchor them to dumbells?

2 Likes

Well I have a pair of adjustable and I usually use them and Iā€™m to lazy to shift weights all the time. Yeah I know itā€™s stupidā€¦ Maybe Iā€™ll try one day :slight_smile: Thanks for pointing out

If you have enough extra plates then you could loop the band through the hole and set them on the floor. I bet thereā€™s a YouTube video of how to build an easy anchor for this stuff.

1 Like

woke at 81,9 kg - 180,6 lbs
Having a hard time keeping the weight down these days.
Not counting to much but I donā€™t think Iā€™m overeating.
Maybe the Darkhorse packs on some muscles on the old frame after all.

4 Likes

I hate to be that guy, butā€¦

3 Likes

I Know but Iā€™m fooling myself

1 Like