The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

TLDR:
I want to test my powerbuilder program.
I want to do a peak in calorie maintenance
I want to start BB.

Longer rant:

I have been running my own programming for 3 months, in a deficit. And felt I’ve become stronger, at least some days.
So to be fair to the program I wanted to see if I’ve become stronger.
It came of me saying I wasn’t good a taking a deload week at the end of a program and then do max lifts.

So Mark set out the 5 week peak about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I would go to calorie maintenance during the peak.
Last night I read a little about peaking for meets and from what I could read a weaker lifter (me) would recover and be ready to max lifting in much less time than a stronger lifter (Mark).
So instead of the fatigued max lift in Marks 5 week plan, I cut it down. I’ll reduce volume in the first week but lifting intense. Second week I’ll reduce volume and intensity. Third week I’ll test.

3 Likes

Except Greg and Swede don’t seem to advocate changing the peak based on how strong the lifter is. I don’t think many good coaches, if any, do.

Your max and my max are different, but our bodies experience them in much the same way.

1 Like

I think it was on elitefts and juggernaut I read it. I lost my web history by a crashing pc. So it seems I can’t find it again. I’ll search around a bit. Haven’t decided what to do yet. I know I won’t be pulling 200 kg now anyway. I think I’m having 180 in me… it really only is the DL I’m really interested in.

2 Likes

CWS says he does cater the peak to the indivual. Range isnt that big like 2 weeks to 2 months depending

So I here you want to get big like me with BB training lol

2 Likes

I would love to gain to the size of a hamster.
I would then call me the Viking Hamster :slight_smile:
I would though love to have your splendid technique.

2 Likes

Tbh I think technique isn’t that important for muscle gains more for lifting max weight. Maybe just good enough technique to not be injured and hit the muscle but more than that better off saving the effort to do more work

2 Likes

This is the number one priority! I suggest you run @MarkKO’s peak as written. I understand that you think you could peak sooner, and I don’t disagree, but you had better find a tried and proven three week peak. If you just adapt something else then you could mess it up.

You want to test your program. Make sure your peaking protocol doesn’t screw up the test. It will make you doubt the effectiveness of your program.

2 Likes

Master-Class 198lb Lifter:

1 Like

This is the suggestion for a 198lbs intermediate lifter.
The highly experienced 308 lbs lifter would do a 4 weak overreaching and taper.

I was referring to this when I said I would do a 3 week peak.
EDIT: it’s from JTS strength /Juggernaut by Mike Israetel.

1 Like

Woke at 81,2 kg - 179 lbs
Yesterday calories: 2250: 187C, 150P, 66F

1 Like

Snap - same weight today :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The race is on

2 Likes

I disagree, respectfully. MMC is very much connected to technique, even minor tweaks to form. Since I’ve slowed down my tempos and really focused on good form, I feel like I’m finally working the ‘right’ muscles for growth.

I could argue tech/form is more important for muscle gains vs. max strength (muscle that bitch up!).

2 Likes

This is true, but that’s where you get into doing what’s right for your goals. There’s a reason bodybuilders go for the MMC, and powerlifters go for max strength. Of course, there’s carryover either way. You can’t bodybuild without gaining some strength, and I’ve put on a decent amount of muscle training mostly for strength.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, if you want to be your best at either discipline, you’d be wise to optimize your form/technique.

I just wanted to give the other sides perspective :slight_smile:

Cant let you powerlifters take over :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t think I can legitimately call myself a powerlifter since I haven’t competed in a powerlifting meet. I can call myself a strongman, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You are whatever you identify with these days :laughing:

I am a meat popsicle.

Quick, name that movie!

1 Like

5th Element!