The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Yer man they were all damn fine looking squats.

1 Like

Boom! Nice work man! Awesome reps! Gains coming

1 Like

That looks so much better. Excellent work.

1 Like

Woke at 84 kg - 185,2 lbs

Thanks a lot guys, Iā€™m still a bit struck by a wow factor here.
Now the bloody work has to be done, to make it a natural thing.

Badminton today, Iā€™ve been f*cking absent the last couple of weeks and my buddy has beaten the shit out of me.
Iā€™ll try to bounce back today.

4 Likes

Show your buddy whoā€™s boss :joy:

The videos look like youā€™re doing really well. Iā€™m not as knowledgeable as Iā€™d like to be with form, but your lifting is looking very good to me

strong squat work Mort, keep it up. Badminton for cardio is a nice touch :wink:

This sucks big time, I got beaten well and truly once again.
I wake up, feeling good and athletic full of energy.
Warmup is good.
Then the game begins and I lose willpower and just walks around like a slug. Iā€™m almost depressed as if Iā€™ve lost testosterone.
I just donā€™t get it, Iā€™m very moody the rest of the day, Itā€™s been like this every sunday since new year.
Wtf is going on. Maybe my program is to hard, I was beaten up about two weeks ago, but then it just disappeared and Iā€™m feeling good in the gym, but not when playing badminton. Weird.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, Mort. Mind over matter (or in this case, the body). I have the same experience during basketball. If I push myself to run even when I donā€™t have to then the whole game goes better. If I walk down the court then I have a hard time putting forth any effort even when itā€™s necessary. The end result is that I donā€™t get a good workout, we lose, and I leave irritated.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s your diet like at the moment? Are you in a deficit ? Low carbs or fats ?? What are you eating on the days you play and when? Sounds to me either mental or you are depleted hence the heavy legs and no energy. Itā€™s the same feeling I would get when I used to run. Any runs longer that 2.5 hrs and the body becomes depleted and legs become very heavy and it takes a lot of willpower to keep moving. But keep hydrated and add some some
Sugars before that happen (just a couple of jelly beans would do it) and I was always good to go longer.

3 Likes

Could be a number of things mate, food, sleep, balls not working as well as they should, work capacity problem.
Youā€™ve got an active and stressful job, on your feet all day from what youā€™ve said? Being a cop would be a tough gig I think. Maybe the extra weights, plus work etc is overcooking you on a restricted cal diet.

1 Like

Hey mortdk, just watched your videos, good work. Great choice of training music. I love queen and other bands from that era. That is what I call proper music. Talented musicians, not like today. Music died when Rock vanished. Greta Van Fleet are a good wee band, Pretty recent and probably the closest to legendary bands of old like Led Zeppelin.

Have you ever had a blood test to confirm your testosterone levels ? The symptoms you describe are very much like that of low Testosterone. The moody feeling could be high estrogen. When test is low and estrogen is high - exactly what you describe. Might be worth having that checked out just in case. Could be diet or stress related, especially if food is restricted. Good luck mate.

2 Likes

Thanks for the words.

@Frank_C Iā€™ll try to keep the heart rate up next week, may be a game changer.

@simo74 Yeah in a deficit, not tracking but eating healthy. I ate oatmeal for breakfast, had a lot of water before and a banana, hell I even took a couple of jelly beans, courtesy of Mr. Maier.

@I_Luc could be a bit of each maybe, but Iā€™ve been doing this for a long time now. Maybe the restricted diet. Maybe my balls arenā€™t working ā€¦ wtf.

@Rizla81 never had a blood test, maybe I should get one, I had the same thoughts myself. And yeah just watched the movie about Queen and Freddie the day before, awesome movie. So I was inspired.

Iā€™ll move my saturday deadlift day to friday next week, taking the saturday off. Maybe Iā€™m just under recovered from saturdays DL.
No matter what Iā€™m pretty pissed about not being able to give my buddy a bit of a beating.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about the struggles on the court.

Iā€™ve had somewhat similar experiences trying to translate gym success to the jiu-jitsu mats - especially when weightlifting is going really well.

One thing that helped me was logging my jiu-jitsu training so that I can track more accurately when Iā€™m getting good hard training and when I go and essentially donā€™t do much more than teach.

Donā€™t know if any of that would help in your case. But it reminds me that often (but not always) there are very specific reasons for performance setbacks. My jiu-jitsu training log has helped sober me out of many a post-training depression.

3 Likes

That sucks and it happens to not just you. I play tennis, and I can tell you that success in a skill game like badminton is a lot different than success under the bar. Maybe your friend has a better strategy, or he feels more relaxed and his nervous system isnā€™t as tested every week. Lots of possibilities, but I would just try to have fun and make it less about who wins if you can. Thatā€™s what I try to do, depending on who Iā€™m playing.

1 Like

Whoa! Squats improved bigtime man. Awesome work and youā€™re not only hitting depth, youā€™re going wayy below parallel! Crazy improvement compared to last month.

1 Like

Great job on the squat depth and form, Mort! I think youā€™re going to have fresh gains and strength development again.

When you were running Dark Horse last summer, did you hit a wall where you were regularly fatigued and unmotivated? It seems like you did (or Iā€™m confusing your experience with @losthogā€™s.) Your new program is very high volume and high frequency while also incorporating high intensity, too.

Getting a blood test to check you hormone levels is always a good idea, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the combination of your program, stressful job, and active life are draining you more than you realize. That may also be why @simo74ā€™s twice-weekly lifting appeals to you right now. My training preference is similar to yours - lots of giant sets, a mix of weights and calisthenics, cardio, and athletic activities, all while leading a busy life and trying to eat healthy! Itā€™s possible to juggle it all, bit Iā€™ve found that lifting volume is the surest way to burn myself out. Dialing back that one factor (or frequency) can be a game-changer.

4 Likes

Woke at 83,7 kg - 184,5 lbs
Yup weight is dropping fast right now, Iā€™m still having a god damn belly, I donā€™t get it. 5 month ago I weighed about the same and feel I was much leaner around my belly. Argh everything is against me, even my body. Well Itā€™ll be better I know.

Todays training

Viking Power Builder protocol

C2W3D1 OHP 80%

Warmup: kneeling bottom up kb press, bpa, Yoga flow + fluff

OHP warm up giant set

Pull up 4 x 5 BW

OHP 8 x 20, 30, 37,5 kg, 6 x 42,5 kg

Dynamic sideplank 4 x 6 each side

OHP main lift

Pull up
6 x 2 @ 5 kg

Supersetted with

OHP
6 x 2 @ 48,5 kg

Assistance giant set

BB row underhand grip 9 x 20, 40, 50, 60, 70 kg

CGPB 8 x 20, 42, 52, 62, 72,5 kg

Bicycle crunch 5 x 10 each side

Finisher WOD

DB press 15 kg x 12, 10, 8, 8, 8

Band face pulls 5 x 12

Rope skipping single leg 5 x 20 skips each leg

about 15 seconds rest between sets (misloaded)

3 headed monster 12 x 2,5 kg db.

55 minutes + 10 minutes warm up.

A good day, BB press was feeling strong.

Pull ups with 5 kg strong as well.

The finisher DB press should have been 12 kg, loaded 15. After set 2 I thought WTF is going on here, then I realized it and everything was good.

I am still annoyed about yesterday.

5 Likes

@burien_top_team We only play once a week, so I canā€™t really compare anything, I could of course write in the log how it felt, kind of a RPE factor. Iā€™ll do that from next week.

@trimtabber79 Oh no he has not, weā€™re about just as good or bad depending on how you look at it. We usually alternating winning and do have very close sets. This year Iā€™ve lost 15-0 on a couple of sets, 15 - 1 to 6 on several occasions and only managed to get past 10 points one or two times. I might have to much fun and relax to much :slight_smile:

@idontbrag123 Thanks man Iā€™m very happy.

@TriednTrue Thanks I was about to hit a wall, but took a deload about midway. By the end I was worn out totally.

I know and it might be likely, but Iā€™ve been doing this for a long time.
Iā€™m tweaking things at the moment, so weā€™ll see.

3 Likes

Woke at 84,1 kg - 185,4 lbs
Tracking food today 2500 148P, 218C, 109F
Went way over with fat todayā€¦ Had some nice sausages from the grill and a salmon pie for lunch, they were quite fatty :slight_smile: but good.

Viking Power Builder protocol

C2W3D2 Squat 90%

Warm up: Ergorower, BW squats, BPA, lazy lifter and some fluff.

Squat warm up giant set

Jump 5 x 3

Squat 5 x 20, 40, 60, 80 kg, 1 x 100 kg

Hanging leg raise 5 x 6

squat main lift

3 x 1 @ 110 kg (90%)

Backoff sets

11 x 97,5 kg PR

11 x 85 kg RPE 9

11 x 72,5 kg rpe 7,5

Assistance giant set

KB swing 4 x 3 @ 24 kg

Power clean: 5 x 40, 45, 50, 55 kg

Plank 5 x 15 seconds

Finisher

Incline DB bench 5 x 12 @ 15 kg

Lat pull down 5 x 10 @ 55 kg

Bulgarian split squat 5 x 10 @ BW

About 15 seconds rest between rounds.

1 hour 5 minutes + 10 minutes warm up.

Squats were good, hit proper depth on the warm-ups until 100 kg.

I think the 110 kg and backoff were likely like my old squat form which Iā€™m happy with at the moment.

Theyā€™ll improve over time.

Power cleans were well, reverse curl muscle up, not pretty.

Finisher left me sweating again.

10 Likes

I wouldnā€™t expect you to be doing max effort squats with your new depth yet. Youā€™re probably in survival mode so you go back to your usual form. Itā€™ll take awhile to get used to the new form. Youā€™ll be fine as long as you keep getting reps with it on your lighter sets.

Nice workout!

3 Likes