The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

You pause between rounds? I thought you just have to go till you die. :joy:

1 Like

Woke at 87 kg - 191,8 lbs

@Frank_C I donā€™t pause between rounds, I just canā€™t remember what to do nextā€¦
Yeah I just catch my breath some 20 - 30 seconds.

1 Like

I think the main thing that holds you back with heavier loads is bracing. Depth is fine in the videos.

Are you squeezing your lats like you do for deadlift? Thatā€™s as much part of bracing as squeezing your and and stabilising your pelvis.

3 Likes

Woke at 86,5 kg - 190,7 lbs

@MarkKO youā€™re probably right about the breathing. I really try to squeeze an orange, to push the belly into the belt.
Iā€™ll do it even more if I can, that combined with trying to keep my torso more upright, it seems as if I fold more when the weight gets heavy. (Goodmornings or RDLā€™s?)

Good luck with your 2019 goals!

Regarding your squat technique, it looks mostly good, but needs fine tuning. Mark is right, you need to brace better. Make every rep count. Reset/rebrace every rep. On the ascent, push that upper back into the bar hard.

What do you do for direct quad training? Squats for some people are not enough to effectively train the quads in relation to the hips and glutes. You may have an imbalance, which would explain your forward position on the ascent. Your quads give out, and your hips and glutes take over. This is what Iā€™m dealing with right now.

Good work otherwise. Just remember, grinding bad reps is not good longterm. Your body remembers those positions, then you turn into me. Having to unlearn them, fix imbalances, and relearn the proper patterns.

2 Likes

Your squat is definitely getting there, you just need to keep practicing to get it more fluid, and make the small adjustments. Watching you start your squat, I can pretty much see as you mentally implement each cue before you actually squat. Itā€™ll become more second nature as you go, but never stop doing that. As one set of cues becomes more natural youā€™ll incorporate more, so there will always be fine tuning to do.

1 Like

I think more lat work and learning how to brace better. Your hamstrings, glutes and lower back are already working. Try the McGill big three to really get your midsection working.

Woke at 85,6 kg - 188,7 lbs
Had a long day at work yesterday, walked about 18000 steps.
Walking is shedding BW down fast.

@IronOne Iā€™ll try the push back into bar, almost like the elbows first on front squat. And bracing too.
Not much for direct quad work Iā€™m trying to incorporate some lunges and Iā€™m doing front squats and goblet squats as well.
Regarding my forward position I end up in it at the bottom of the descent. Iā€™m falling forward when Iā€™m not focused/just doing the movement Itā€™s only one or two reps, almost if ever on the real sets above 90%
@OTHSteve Thanks Steve, Iā€™ll just keep practicing over and over.
@MarkKO What lat exercises would you recommend? And Iā€™ve actually started doing the McGill big three a couple of times each week during warm upā€¦ I saw it in your log.

1 Like

Oh almost forgot yesterdays workout, looked like this:

Viking Power Builder protocol log

C1W2D4 Deadlift 70%

Warmup: Ergorower, lazy lifter, armsvings, BPA, BW squats + a bit of fluff

DL warm up giant set

KB swing: 3 x 6 @ 24 kg

DL: 5 x 60, 100 kg, 3 x 110 kg

Plank 3 x 15 seconds

DL main

7 x 3 @ 120 kg first 5 or so DOH rest mixed

Assistance giant set

Jump 4 x 3

Front squat 10 x 20, 30, 35 kg, 12 x 42,5 kg

AB wheel 4 x 7

Finisher

Good morning 3 x 10 @ bar (trying it out)

ATG BW squat 3 x 12

40 minutes + 10 minutes warm up.

I lost count on the DL did 7 ā€“ 9 sets of 3, was working out before work. Trained with a friend, I did my sets EMOM, but lost count on how many sets.

This was not as good as expected, did some chatting about, but my setup and execution of the reps was sloppy. Well Iā€™ll live with that.

Front squats were good, so Iā€™m happy.

This was week 2 of my program, so far so good. For the 90% day Iā€™m altering a bit, for upper body lifts I keep the 3 sets of AMRAP, for lower body Iā€™ll go with only one AMRAP set and do it with 80%.

The WOD finisher is becoming more of a super or giant set thing. Iā€™m considering doing something like Jimā€™s 50 reps of push, pull, singleleg/core thing.

6 Likes

Lat pulldown and DB rows, some BB rows and inverted rows. You can do lat pulldown with a band if necessary.

1 Like

Would straight arm dumbell pull overs work @MarkKO.

1 Like

I have no idea. Iā€™ve done very few pullover of any kind ever.

1 Like

Worth a try, they are a poor mans straight arm pull down, but if you donā€™t have a pulley work well enough and give a good stretch is the lats if done properly.

3 Likes

Woke at 86,7 kg - 191,1 lbs

Todays training

Viking Power Builder protocol

C1W3D1 OHP 80%

Warmup: kneeling bottom up kb press, bpa, yoga flow, fluff

OHP warm up giant set

Pull up 4 x 5 BW

OHP 10 x 20, 8 x 30, 5 x 37, 3 x 42,5 kg

Standing band side crunch 4 x 10 each side

OHP main lift

6 x 2 @ 47,5 kg

SS

BPA 6 x 10

Assistance giant set

BB row 8 x 20, 52, 62, 10 x 72,5 kg

CGPB 8 x 20, 52, 62, 72,5 kg

Dynamic side plank 4 x 6 each side

Finisher

band OH pull down 5 x 10 each side

DB press 5 x 10 @ 12 kg

Lunges 5 x 8 @ BW each side

Well did this Jim Wendler style 50 reps each category, didnā€™t time, but no rest. This was good.
Did the Three headed monster with 2,5 kg plates and 10 reps eachā€¦ Those set the delts on fire. Next time Iā€™ll do 2 sets.

Took about 50 minutes + 10 minutes warm up.

Not much to say, CGBP I did 8 reps, thought I easyā€™ish had 9ā€¦ Didnā€™tā€¦ roll of shame.

OHP was 6 good sets just one or two reps a bit out of balance.
@simo74, @MarkKO, Iā€™ll try the pullover tomorrow, the lat pulldown with band doesnā€™t feel right.

7 Likes

There ya go! That exercise is oh so good! Progression with more reps and sets is much easier than weight. 2.5 kg is pleanty

2 Likes

@mortdk try one arm barbell rows. They destroy your lats.

3 Likes

Congrats on the PRs 3 weeks ago Mort, a brilliant way to start off the new year!!

1 Like

Mort, the straight Arm Pulldown is a great movement, you just need to learn it and squeeze with the lats

2 Likes

woke at 86,9 kg - 191,6 lbs
moving the wrong direction.

@lava2007 thanks my friend good to see youā€™re back.

I might try these out Duke.

Iā€™ll try these as well, gotta learn to use them lats I suppose.

1 Like

Viking Power Builder protocol log

C1W3D2 Squat 90%

Warm up: BW squats, some agile 8, lazy lifter and some fluff.

Squat warm up giant set

Jump 5 x 3

Squat 5 x 20, 50, 70 ā€“ 3 x 90 ā€“ 1 x 100 kg

Plank 5 x 15 seconds

squat main lift

3 singles @ 107,5 kg (90%)

12 x 95 kg PR

12 x 82,5 kg

12 x 70 kg

Assistance giant set

KB swing 4 x 7 @ 24 kg

SG DL: 8 x 60, 80, 90 kg, 10 x 100 kg

AB wheel 4 x 6

Finisher WOD

DB row 5 x 10 @ 12 kg each arm

Ring dips 5 x 4

Bulgarian split squat 5 x 8 @ BW each leg

Did them without any significant pause, but not rushing either.

1 hour 10 minutes + 10 minutes warm up.

Squats were moving fine today.
The singles were quite easy.
The 12 reps with 95 were okayā€™ish but hard.
82 kg damn itā€™s tough,
70 kg no more please totally out of breath here.
SGDL grip is the limiting factor here.

I suck at dips and especially ring dips. So starting slowly building along the way

DB rows I could feel the lats (I think)

Bulgarian were easier than I remembered (a win)

Good day today, long but good.
Videos

8 Likes