The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

That’s the same with the lagers around here.

But

is not something you have to wait for. Whenever you decide to buy a pack of Buds or whatever, go through the “good beers” find one that looks good or is on sale. Start out with that.
If you want to be a geek, write down what brand and kind of beer and how you liked it.
And thanks man, yeah a break might be good, but I was really on a high note on this program, not run down or anything so it was kind of annoying. It could have waited 6 weeks or so.

3 Likes

woke at 86,2 kg - 190 lbs
about 2700 calories yesterday.
Can’t stuff my face while I’m ill.

3 Likes

Woke at 85,6 kg - 188,7 lbs
This is going the wrong way.
About maybe 2500 calories yesterday.
Feeling much better today. Think most fever is gone, now only a slight cough is still there, making sleep a bit annoying.
Might lift a weight later.

9 Likes

Glad your feeling better. Send some my way please

1 Like

Yup same here, glad you’re getting over it. You should be at 100% in the next day or two to crush some weights

Woke at 86,3 kg - 190,3 lbs
Didn’t lift anything yesterday, got a little setback.
Slept 10 hours again.
As yesterday I’m feeling good today, may it last today.
I’m going to Bench a little and DL a little today. and take a walk.

3 Likes

Todays training
Bit of a recovery/deload session

Warmup ropeskipping, BPA, BW squats and walking lunges, Lazy lifter

Squat

• 3 x 3 @ 70 kg paused + 1 x 90, 1 x 102,5 kg (weeks working weight)

Deadlift

• 3 x 1 @ 140 kg

Front squat

• 3 x 1 @ 65 kg

bench press

• 3 x 1 @ 87,5 kg

supersetted with

Bent over Row

• 3 x 1 @ 80 kg

Finisher

• 100 reps ab crunch

Done in 50 minutes or thereabout.

Not the best of workouts, but some heavy’ish singles with the weeks work load.
DL did the first set DOH no problem, second set got it to mid thigh, grip just open up, had to put the bar down and pulled a rep hook grip immediately. Last set mixed.

Hope I’ll be ready to restart last weeks workouts.

8 Likes

I woke this morning feeling good even work at normal time 5:30 am on my off day :+1:. Had a shake and puked it all up 30 min later. I’m so ready to be well. Getting closer by the day. I thought lifting was gonna happen today…naaa. Working on getting back to 100%. Get well bud this sick thing sucks

5 Likes

Accidentally load 100kg and hit it lol

1 Like

Woke at 86,6 kg - 191 lbs
Still a bit of the cold sticking around here, running nose, heave head and coughing.
But the fever is gone, so I can live with that.
Badminton for an hour later, gonna be good to get some sweat and high pulse going.
Btw I’m having a real bad time atm about keep gaining weight. But it’s just for 1½ month more… I’ll try to hang in there. If it wasn’t for this log I would have ditched it by now.

5 Likes

Getting up there in weight mort! Your heavier than me now. Are we gonna we 90kg of lean mean muscle one day?

2 Likes

No 90 kg of lean mean fat maybe :slight_smile: then a cut to 82 mostly muscles.
I think at my age building muscles is very hard, doable but hard.

2 Likes

@MarkKO Gonna pick just a little bit on your knowledge if you don’t mind.

If I was to run 531 with a twist of your programming could it be something like this:
For the sake of easy lets go with a 1RM of 100
If I put a TM to 80, then my work weights for the 3 weeks would be:
5w 68, 3w 72, and 1w 76 (that would actually be the percentage of the 1RM)

That seems like in the range you use.

If I did 4 sets of 5, 3 and 1 reps depending on the week and an all out set on top with minimum rest.
Let’s say I did them with 30 sec rest

5’s week would look something like this:
5-5-5-5 and then 8 (I don’t know if I could do that)

Next cycle I would keep the weight but push the rest time by 15 seconds to 15 seconds rest

If I managed to get all the reps say 5-5-5-5-5 I was allowed to put more weight on the bar.

That would be a pretty simple progression style.

Then assistance, still a work in progress.
If one was able to recover would you think that would work?

2 Likes

I see what you’re going for. I like it your thought process. It’s horrific.

Couple of things, though.

First, Greg only inflicts the short rests on us with percentages under 75 or so, and most often in the 50-65 range. Granted you’re talking about 30 seconds initially, but then going down to 15 is pushing it, I think.

Second, you’re going to be doing it to yourself three to four times a week. We only suffer it once, and on a different lift each week AND with varying sets and reps each week.

Third, our AMRAPs are done without the short rests.

All that being said, your idea might work. It’ll just be horrible to do, and I’m not sure the payoff will be worth it. You’ll be so focused on hitting the times technique will go out of the window. You might also find yourself a bit too burnt out to do any useful assistance.

I think the best advice I can give you is to look at what you want to achieve and how this setup would be best applied to further that. So, if you want to find out if it’s possible to do, have at it. Otherwise, look at how you could modify it to work better.

My take is that the short rests have a definite place in training, and one aspect of that is simulating maximal effort work with low weight. Trust me when I say that the last sets on my short rest days I strain as hard as I ever have for a max. Except, my body doesn’t get beat to hell. Another aspect is specific conditioning, I guess. When you regularly work through five and 10 second rests on a main lift, you find yourself able to move through your other days much faster and you tolerate a fast paced meet better.

I think this setup is best used when you wave your loads by lift and not by week. Or, if you do it by week, do it for one week out of the three when you’re handling lower percentages (I wouldn’t go above 70).

4 Likes

Also, Paul Carter talks about something similar in Base Building. You do 5x5, I think at 70 or 75 per cent and aim to reduce the time it takes to get all sets done. Your initial target is something like 25 minutes. If you can get to something like 10 minutes, you can move to the next level. I’m hazy on the exact numbers, but it’s in that ballpark.

1 Like

Hey Mort, hope you’re well. Haven’t been in here for a while because there’s been so many posts to catch up on but looks like you’re doing great!

1 Like

Hey man thanks, yeah it’s been going pretty good. Apart from the last week were I’ve had some mild flu and cold.
But I’m over that by now.
Been doing CT’s work for 10 weeks, I’ve got 5 weeks to go, then I’ll retest my max’s, doing @losthog virtual meet.
Been a couple of days since you logged last right.
How’s the hypertrophy stuff going, I recell you did more reps and some CT muscle building rep style for some time by now.

1 Like

I like the look of this CT program you’re doing, the only thing putting me off is how long the workouts might be but I think I could be strict with rest.

The hypertrophy stuff is going pretty good thanks, I feel like I’ve gained some muscle. Should have done legs last Thursday but was a bit ill so going to do it on Monday and skip my off day to catch up.

Think I’m doing it for two more weeks then I’m going to deload and take a week or two with heavier weights before going for some maxes- probably at the same time as the virtual meet.

1 Like

If you follow the program to a T then there are only five exercises per day. The days with three sets can be done in 20-30 minutes. The days with five sets can be done in under an hour. I think I was usually around the 50-60 minute mark when I ran it.

I rested for 60 sec most of the time but I extended it to 90-120 sec on days where deadlifts or squats started to grind.

1 Like

That sounds good, an hour is about my limit. I’ll go and have another read through the program now actually.

1 Like