The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

You just named a couple of my go-to’s in Leffe brown and Paulaner Salvatore! I’ve never had the Grimbergen, but I know I’ve seen the Noel during Christmas, so I’ll have to pick one up soon. Thanks for your recommendations; we appear to have very similar tastes in beer :slight_smile:

Brown ale is one of my favorite styles of beer in the colder months. Do you have access to American or English microbrews? I’ve tasted far better than Newcastle…

2 Likes

Far better choices than “Newci” browns :slight_smile:
We’ve got a ton of danish micro breweries, heck even Carlsberg have a “micro” brewery.
Some times I’m having IPA’s to go with food.

2 Likes

On a cold winter night, try drinking an IPA, preferably a complex, slightly bitter, and higher-alcohol IPA while eating a dairy desert like cheesecake. Delicious.

2 Likes

Woke at 87,2 kg - 192,2 lbs
no counting yesterday.

Todays training

The Danish Viking: SGSS by coach Thib

W10D1 3 x 3 reps upper body Intensification phase

Warmup: arm svings, BPA, stretches

Bench press

• 3 x 3 @ 87,5 kg

Supersetted with

BB row

• 3 x 3 @ 77,5 kg

OHP

• 3 x 3 @ 47,5 kg

Pull up

• 3 x 3 @ 6,5 kg

Assistance: 25 push ups + 20 BB curl just the bar.

Done in less than 25 minutes, 2 minutes warmup + ramping weights to the first set of bench

My throat is sore and I might start catching the flu or something.

Did only the main sets and reps only pushups and BB curl as assistance.

Everything, even pull ups, was good, oddly enough.

6 Likes

Looks like a perfect day for a quick, focused sesh. I hope you get better soon!

1 Like

Those 3 x 3 days can be short. I was doing them during my lunch break at work which is only 30 minutes. I’d superset the push and pull and be done in 20 minutes if I didn’t have anyone with me (there are a couple sergeants who lift and I get distracted talking to them).

2 Likes

It sounds like you’ve had some practice at this and really honed the combo :+1:

3 Likes

Good luck with the health. If it’s just a cold, zinc lozenges early and often do the trick for me. Certainly hoping it’s not the flu!

3 Likes

Yep! I like to eat seasonally, and that includes beer. Along with seasonal intake, I particularly enjoy pairing food and beverages. Since I only drink a couple bottles of beer a week, they’re usually part of dessert. I’ve found IPAs pair well with dairy; the sweetness of lactose complements that beer’s piney bitterness.

4 Likes

Woke at 87,5 kg - 192,9 lbs
3300 calories yesterday

Todays training

The Danish Viking: SGSS by coach Thib

W10D2 3 x 3 reps lower body intensification phase

Warmup: arm swings, BPA, BW squats lazy lifter

Squat

• 3 x 3 @ 102,5 kg belt on for all sets

Deadlift beltless

• 3 x 3 @ 140 kg first set 1xdoh 2xhook, second set figure 8 straps, last mixed grip.

front squat

• 3 x 3 @ 65 kg

RDL

• 3 x 3 @ 95 kg

Done in 35 minutes about 5 minutes warmup + ramp to working weight of squats

Still having a sore troat and a running nose, hopefully just a cold and not the flu.

I might regret this tomorrow. I’m not so sure about lifting when feeling sick.

Squats are feeling heavy, it’s the little tweak, it makes me feel uncomfortable coming out of the hole.

DL were awesome today, last set I felt I could have gone on forever. Mixed grip is so much tighter in the setup and execution.

Front squats and RDL pretty good.

Cold go away, I don’t want to take a break until the week before christmas.

9 Likes

takes notes

2 Likes

Woke at 86,5 kg - 190,7 lbs
only about 2700 calories yesterday.
Have caught the flu, fewer and shit, slept more than 10 hours this night. Was up 2 or 3 times to change t-shirt due to sweating.
Damnit. I hate being sick. Bad decision to train yesterday.

5 Likes

Brutal - I was hoping for your garden variety rhinovirus …

Best of luck on the recovery. Give yourself the time you need to get back to full strength. “A marathon, not sprint”, as the kids say …

3 Likes

Trial and error. I didn’t start drinking beer til I was 30 and only one bottle every few days or so. I like to relish my beer instead of guzzling y’know?

Here’s another combo that sounds nasty but tastes delicious:
If you’re into hot chocolate in the winter (or any time) make some hot chocolate, a big ol’ mug, and drink a tasty amber ale or nut brown.

4 Likes

That sucks, Mort. Hang in there and get better soon!

2 Likes

I’ll pray to the lifting gods that your sickness goes away Asap mort :innocent:

1 Like

Sorry, Mort! I guess I got off easy with a minor cold but I’ve had it for two weeks. I guess this is better since it didn’t knock me on my rear.

1 Like

Feel better Mort! Hoping for a quick recovery.

1 Like

@burien_top_team @TriednTrue, @duketheslaya, @Frank_C, @littlesleeper
Thanks guys the one that suffers the most might be the missus.
She’ll have to listen to my moaning and suffering.
It’s evening over here and I’m feeling a bit better than yesterday, night and morning.
But certainly no lifting tomorrow :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I respect the hell out of that. Whenever I drink a beer, I feel compelled to drink 8. That being said, I’m drinking the piss water variety–Busch lights, coors lights, bud lights, etc. I love them, but the point of drinking those is to get drunk!

I’m looking forward to the point in my life when I can appreciate the beer for its taste and not just its alcohol content.

@mortdk feel better man, I’m sorry you have to deal with this flu right now. On the bright side, this could be good for you in the long run. Taking a little unplanned time off is very rarely a bad thing from what I’ve seen!

4 Likes