The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Today’s training

The Danish Viking: SGSS by coach Thib

W8D4 5 x 5 reps lower body accumulation phase (last day of 5 reps)

Warmup: Rope skipping 1 minute, BPA, yoga flow, BW Squats, walking lunges, Lazy lifter.

Squat

• 5 x 5 @ 97,5 kg

Deadlift

• 5 x 5 @ 130 kg first 3 reps doh then 2 hook, the rest mixed grip.

front squat

• 5 x 5 @ 55 kg

RDL

• 5 x 5 @ 82,5 kg

Done in 53 minutes + about 10 - 15 minutes warm-ups.

That was a tough one, but manageable. Squats are just a little bit out of groove because of this little pain in the groin.

Felt heavy but moved down and up, some reps tilted a bit forward but everything went up. If someone had forced me, I could have done some more reps even on the last set.

DL were good, front squat too, RDL’s just finish them survival mode on.

No way I was doing any carries today.

Looking forward to do a little less volume, next week should be kind of easy.

10 Likes

Breakfast cereal. Big bowl on to of what you eat once a day will do wonders.

3 Likes

How do you feel? Strong? Weak? Tired? Beat up?

I’m hopeful that you have a great workout next week or the week after. I had a strong day after getting into phase three. It was really motivating.

They weren’t all strong. I went back to grinding but it was a nice highlight in the midst of heavy training.

1 Like

My 13 year old son is finally growing and he’s been smashing cereal, quite common for him to be munching away on a bowl at 8pm before bed.

6 Likes

Woke at 86,2 kg - 190 lbs
3300 calories again.

@MarkKO @I_Luc I actually started eating more cereals in the mornings.
@Frank_C I am not feeling beat up, nor do I feel week. Strong might not be the right word but I am feeling it’s going well. Lower body is very taxing I think, and my legs feel a bit sore almost everyday. I am not anticipating it’s gonna be less taxing just because it’s 3 reps, I think/hope this upcoming week is going to feel a bit light and deloadish.

5 Likes

How much good protein do you eat? A good dose of good food each day should help with doms

1 Like

You can always lower the %, or take an extra day or two of rest if need be. I won’t tell CT if you do…I promise :wink:

1 Like

woke at 86,7 kg - 191,1 lbs
didn’t track yesterday, long day at work with cake and bad food.

Todays training

W8D1 3 x 3 reps upper body Intensification phase

Warmup: 1 minute airdyne, BPA, kneeling buttom up KB press, stretches, yoga flow

Prep rep

• Bench press: 1 x 90 kg

Bench press

• 3 x 3 @ 85 kg

Supersetted with

BB row

• 3 x 3 @ 72,5 kg

OHP

• 3 x 3 @ 45 kg

Pull up

• 3 x 3 @ 5 kg

Assistance superset 1

• EZ bar curl 3 x 10 @ 32,5 kg

• lat raise 3 x 10 @ 10 kg

• Pull down neutral/hammer grip 3 x 10 @ 70 kg

• Push up: 25 no pause.

1 hour 10 minutes + warmup about 10 minutes.

Bench felt heavy and a bit slow.

OHP, Rows and pull ups all good.

Worked out with a friend, too much talking.

8 Likes

IT’S BULK SEASON BABY

That’s the only reason I don’t like working out with people I know. The one advantage that commercial gyms have is that nobody talks to me, so I can just get my work done and keep my rest periods/overall gym time where it should be.

2 Likes

I’m just sad and train at home alone. No one to talk to or slow me down, unless the neighbours Swedish AU pair trains at the same time, but that just gets me excited and speeds me up, lol.

3 Likes

Like we’ve already said, talking about the smokin’ hot Swedish bird is useless without pictures :grinning:

3 Likes

woke at 87,1 kg - 192 lbs
3200 calories yesterday.
Suspect some of the weight is simply because I had to eat the last 700 or so calories just before bedtime.

@I_Luc and @simo74 I usually train alone never at a public gym.
We have a small weight room at work and yesterday was one of those days with just a little to much talk maybe an extra 15 - 20 minutes give or take.
I don’t care about it, we normally get the job done in time. It’s my daily buddy and sometimes we just chats along.

Btw have I told he is the reason I want to DL 200 kg. 10 years ago he was on this program Big Beyound Belief and trained and ate like a horse.
He got to 197,5 kg with ease but followed the program and was supposed to do 200 the next week.
He made an arrest in the weekend and messed up his knee, had a surgery a couple of years later. And have never lifted 200 kg and it’s annoying the hell out of him… so just to rub salt in the wound, I’ve made it my goal to lift 200 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just for you

5 Likes

Todays training

W9D2 3 x 3 reps lower body intensification phase

Warmup: bicycle 25 minutes, BPA, yoga stuff, Lazy lifter.

Squat

• 3 x 3 @ 100 kg

Deadlift

• 3 x 3 @ 135 kg first set 1xdoh 2xhook, the rest mixed grip.

front squat

• 3 x 3 @ 60 kg

RDL

• 3 x 3 @ 90 kg

Done in 33 minutes about 5 minutes warmup.

Squats were heavy, but kind of good. The little pain is very annoying.

DL are good maybe the last week of 3’s (145 kg) is going to be a little rough.

Front squats and RDL’s strong and fast.

In a bit of a rush so no carries, no ab work. Thought riding the bike would be enough.

Yeah my little motorcycle is of the roads during winter. So it’s the good old bike throughout winter and start spring.

Everyday just shy of 10 km each way, I’m gonna get enough cardio.

8 Likes

woke at 86,8 kg - 191,4 lbs
3300 calories.
Rest day today.

How do you feel right now overall? Just about done with week 9, you’re progressing very nicely.

Woke at 86,9 kg - 191,6 lb
about 3200 calories yesterday.
Rest day again, having long working hours the last couple of days.

@lava2007 I’m feeling good overall. My legs are sore most of the time, but my body and mind are fresh.
I’m feeling as if I’m not pushing it as hard as I should.

And on another note I’m feeling fat :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Woke at 86,6 kg - 190,9 lb
No counting yesterday.

Todays training

W9D3 5 x 3 reps upper body Intensification phase

Warmup: Ropeskipping 1 minute, BPA, kneeling bottom up KB press, stretches, yoga stuff

Bench press

• 5 x 3 @ 85 kg.

supper setted with

BB row

• 5 x 3 @ 72,5 kg

OHP

• 5 x 3 @ 45 kg

Pull up

• 5 x 3 @ 5 kg

Assistance superset

• EZ bar curl 3 x 11 @ 32,5 kg

• Lateral raise 3 x 8 @ 12,5 kg

45 minutes + warmup about 10 minutes.

Bench is getting heavy but no problem. I’m still pausing the first 1 or 2 reps on every set. I guess I can’t call all of them paused

Tried strapping up with rows, that makes it easier.

OHP is the easiest lift, started out too heavy in the first week, had to dial a lot back in the beginning. Now it’s really going well… but then again the weights are lighter than planned.

Pull ups didn’t suck as much this time.

SGSS is still moving along nicely, beginning to plan out the last phase. CT says use the last weight on the 3’s week and make that the 3 rep set… but that means I have to up the 1 rep quite a lot. (or more than I actually planned)

For bench that would leave my first week as 5@85, 4@87, 3@90, 2@92, 1@95 the last week will then be 5 reps of 90 kg and a single of 100 kg I don’t think so… BUT then again trust the process

DL 3@145, 2@150, 1@155 ending with 165 as the single on the last week.

Squat ending with a single at 125 kg

HOT DAMN mamma! This is going to be tough, I’m going to set a PR on the last week of this program. Bring it on.

11 Likes

Your last portion of SGSS is going to be exciting fo sho!

1 Like

It’s a progressive overload program and by the time you finish you will have been progressing for about 14 weeks. You might as well see what’s there and try for the heavy singles. I don’t think there are any rules that say you have to make consistent jumps. If you want to try for those PR’s then start lighter so you don’t wear out on the earlier sets.

Example for bench:

5 @ 80, 4 @ 85, 3 @ 87, 2 @ 92, 1 @ 100

You don’t have to follow that but hopefully it illustrates the point. I selected my weights so that I didn’t hit my maxes on the final week. I hit a decent single and then added weight to match or beat my PRs. On that final week I started using bigger jumps between sets. That allowed me to start much lighter but also finish heavier.

For example, on deadlift:

345 x 5
375 x 4
405 x 3
435 x 2
465 x 1
500 x 1 for a new PR

This allowed me to basically use the first three to four sets as warm ups for the PR attempt. If I had done my initial progression then I would have failed. It would have been:

385 x 5
405 x 4
425 x 3
445 x 2
465 x 1

This would have taken too much out of me and would have made 500 much harder. I might’ve failed at the 445 set.

3 Likes