The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Todays training

The Danish Viking: SGSS by coach Thib

W7D2 3 x 5 reps lower body accumulation phase

Warmup: Rope skipping 1 minute, BPA, yoga stuff, BW Squats, walking lunges, Lazy lifter.

overload

Squat: 3 x 97.5, 1 x 107.5, 2 x 3 walkout + 1/10 squat 130 kg.

Squat

• 3 x 5 @ 95 kg

Deadlift

• 3 x 5 @ 125 kg first set doh, the rest mixed grip.

front squat

• 3 x 5 @ 50 kg

RDL

• 3 x 5 @ 77,5 kg

Assistance

• Farmers walk on stairs 3 x 1 minute’ish 25 kg each hand

• Hanging leg raise: 3 x 9

Done in 55 minutes + about 10 minutes warm-ups.

Another good workout.

Nothing special going on. The walkouts with 130 kg is feeling “light”.

Everything is going as scheduled.

5 Likes

@simo74, @MarkKO, @Frank_C, @littlesleeper, @losthog Hey guys I’m really not focusing on PR’s and haven’t done that since the end of DH and before that I really haven’t maxed anything out.
I’m looking forward to the Hog’s virtuel PL meet and the current program ends about mid december giving me 1 week deload and them I’ll test through the Holidays.

6 Likes

You can run your meet in December. I don’t handle deloads well so I prefer to hit my max attempts in week 12 of SGSS or the week after.

You might feel good going into that week so don’t be afraid to go for it instead of running the final sessions.

3 Likes

Unrelated to Mort’s log, but have u u ever tried deloading by lowering the relative intensity instead of absolute intensity? (So still training pretty hard but with harder variations of the movements) for example, doing floor press or feet up bench instead of regular bench press, or snatch grip deads instead of regular deads? That combined with slightly lowered volume and a bit more rest days (if needed) could work for you.

2 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind J.
I’ve still not figured the deload thing out too.
I’ve tried nothing at all for a week and the week after everything was heavy.
I’ve tried just a couple of sets with 50% and everything was heavy.
I’ve used Jim 7’th week approach ramping to a single with TM, and the week after everything was heavy.

This time around I’ll either:
Go for it on the last week OR
just follow the program and then the week after without deloading do the testing OR
the last week instead of hitting the old max back off a bit before testing the week after.

1 Like

Woke at 86 kg - 189,6 lb
2800 calories yesterday

1 Like

Looks like your weight is dropping back a little too. Time to hit the potatoes !! Lol

1 Like

You’re right there Simo and I don’t really get it.
It dropped 1 kg from sunday to monday. Sunday I played badminton for an hour but I ate well, so I don’t really get it.

No, I haven’t. I’m not sure if I need a deload with the way I’ve been training. I don’t really need to peak and life seems to give me deloads whether I want them or not.

With programs like SGSS, I’m ready for lighter weights by the time I finish. I just plan to change programs and that seems to work just fine. Perhaps I’m not beating myself up enough to deserve a deload…

2 Likes

For a lot of people, when switching programs, the first week can act much like a deload if you don’t go balls to the walls straight out if the gate. If you switch programs even every 3 or so months you don’t necessarily need deloads on top of that. Depends a lot on the person and the way you’re training.

5 Likes

I find this interesting. I usually feel better after a deload.

3 Likes

Different strokes for different folks, or so they say. I’m like JMaier, if I do an actual deload I’ll feel like shit. It doesn’t even really matter if the program I was on was more volume or intensity-based, dropping intensity too much during a deload is a one-way ticket to weak-ass town for me. CT has recommendations regarding deloading for different neurotypes, which seem to be pretty sensible.

It’d be pretty interesting to see what kind of deloads people prefer around here and how many people have yet to figure it out

4 Likes

I feel awesome after deload week. My brain is clear not like the thinking through a fog I get toward the end of a training cycle. My recall of information get better. Not to mention the body tightens up and feels “fresh” ready to tear the top off of canned foods.

5 Likes

Dependent on volume personally
A deload after high volume low intensity, meh don’t really need it

If I’m pushing my CNS, then yeah a deload is the best thing since sliced bread

4 Likes

woke at 85,9 kg - 189,4 lb
a tad under 3000 calories yesterday

The deload thing really puzzles me, I do feel better after the deload week and feel ready, but the weight just feels heavy the first 2 or 3 workouts.

Todays training

W7D3 5 x 5 reps upper body Accumulation phase

Warmup: airdyne 1 minut, BPA, stretches, yoga stuff

Bench press

• 5 x 5 @ 77,5 kg.

supper setted with

BB row

• 5 x 5 @ 67,5 kg

OHP

• 5 x 5 @ 40 kg

Pull up

• 5 x 5 @ 2,5 kg

Assistance

• EZ bar curl 30 kg 15, 6, 6 rest pause set.

• lat pull down neutral/hammergrip 65 kg 15, 7, 5 rest pause set

38 minutes + warmup about 10 minutes.

Well was in a hurry today so rushed a bit.

Bench still feels a bit heavy but actually did 6 reps on last set at least a couple left.

OHP and Rows the same 6 reps on last set with some in reserve.

Pull up well rpe on the last two or three sets 9,5 not sure I could do 6 reps.

5 Likes

That’s just a mental thing IMO.

Also, the longer you do this the more accustomed your body gets to feeling weight so even after a break it will remember.

2 Likes

Woke at 86,2 kg - 190 lbs
3100 calories yesterday
Rest day today.

Woke at 86,1 kg - 189,8 lbs
3100 calories yesterday + wine, G&T and a beer.

2 Likes

Today’s training

W7D4 5 x 5 reps lower body accumulation phase

Warmup: Rope skipping 1 minute, BPA, yoga stuff, BW Squats, walking lunges, Lazy lifter.

Squat

• 5 x 5 @ 95 kg

Deadlift

• 5 x 5 @ 125 kg first set doh, the rest mixed grip.

front squat

• 5 x 5 @ 50 kg

RDL

• 5 x 5 @ 77,5 kg

Done in 50 minutes + about 10 - 15 minutes warm-ups.

Squats where heavy and out of groove today. Having a little pain in the right side of the groin.
Took a little over a minute rest on squats. Next week only going up by 2,5 kg.

Short rests for the rest of the session about a minute. Everything moved well.

MUCH harder than last weeks 5x5 that felt almost like a deload.

Was sitting and staring at the plates I use for farmers walk and just said no way. Going for a long walk in the autumn forest today.

8 Likes

I failed to consistently do my farmers walks and ended up dropping them. They just drained the life from me. I think doing four solid leg exercises in a row was enough for my CNS.

1 Like