The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Awesome videos bud. Form looks solid on both lifts.

The band/man is called ā€œScooterā€ German Techno dude. Kind of old now.

His slogan is ā€œitā€™s nice to be important, but itā€™s more important to be niceā€ I like it.

4 Likes

Thanks Hog I feel amazing now, but Iā€™m not getting any stronger damnit.
Just looked back to the start of the year and I havenā€™t moved very much :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like to commend you for, and echo, this sentiment. I fully agree. I know there are lifters who donā€™t agree with what Iā€™m about to say, but I donā€™t care. Iā€™m not here to necessarily compete against you guys. Itā€™ll be cool to see how we all stack up against one another, but Iā€™m competing against myself and where I was at when I thought I was as strong as I was gonna get.

Iā€™m also feeling the competitive edge. Something I havenā€™t felt since I was training to throw shot and discus. I LOVE this feeling, and I wish I had known how hard it was going to be to find it again once high school ended. That being said, Iā€™m going to give this everything Iā€™ve gotā€¦ I pray that we all achieve PRs. Thereā€™s nothing I want more right now.

3 Likes

Woke at 86,5 kg - 190,7 lbs (is it lb or lbs)
Dinner at my mother in law yesterday, so no counting.
Badminton later today.

4 Likes

You get itā€¦

1 Like

But you have moved some. Progress isnā€™t easy especially when youā€™re not 21 anymore. You just got to learn to love the process and the results will be what they will be.

5 Likes

Iā€™m about to settle for strength maintenance. I was coming off hip surgery last year and thought Iā€™d be able to build and grow this year and look at me. Iā€™m a freaking train wreck.

4 Likes

woke at 85,5 kg - 188,5 lb
3000 calories yesterday
Didnā€™t expect the weight to drop 1 kg Itā€™ll be up tomorrow I hope.

3 Likes

Todays training

The Danish Viking: SGSS by coach Thib

W7D1 3 x 5 reps upper body Accumulation phase

Warmup: 1 minute ergorower, BPA, kneeling buttom up KB press, stretches, yoga flow

Overload

• bench press: 1 x 87 kg, 2 x 3 @ 105 kg Unrack and 1/10 ā€œrepsā€

Bench press

• 3 x 5 @ 77,5 kg

Supersetted with

BB row

• 3 x 5 @ 67,5 kg

OHP

• 3 x 5 @ 40 kg

Pull up

• 3 x 5 @ 2,5 kg

Assistance superset 1

• EZ bar curl 3 x 12 @ 30 kg

• lat raise 3 x 17 @ 8 kg

Assistance superset 2

• Pull down neutral/hammer grip 3 x 12 @ 65 kg

• side crunch 3 x 17 each side

Push up

20, 10, 10, 7, 6 (53) with 20 seconds pause between sets.

53 minutes + warmup about 5-10 minutes.

@Frank_C this was a ā€œbadā€ day for bench at least, it felt very heavy, whereas last week it felt almost like a feather. So weights here are good.

Otherwise OHP was good, weights are dialed in really good here.

Assistance a lot more than prescribed by the program, when I move into 3ā€™s territory Iā€™ll ditch the overload before the main lift, and also cut some of the assistance.

8 Likes

Iā€™m glad you listened and didnā€™t mess with the weights. Just follow your pre-planned progression.

The first time I ran SGSS I didnā€™t reach my max with the working weights on bench and deadlift and I had great results with those two lifts (thereā€™s probably something to that). I hit 285 x 1 on bench in week 12 and it felt good so I threw on another 20 pounds and hit 305 to match my lifetime PR. I hit 465 x 1 on deadlift and it moved easy enough so I threw on some more weight and hit 500 for a lifetime PR.

I donā€™t think you have to reach your 1RM in week 12 to benefit from this program. Hopefully youā€™ll feel good at the end like I did and hit some new PRā€™s.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for, Iā€™m not planning to hit PR weights on week 12. Tapping in just below and if I feel great on week 11 I might try to match my previous prā€™s on week 12. Then deload during christmas and then start the year with some PRā€™s on the virtual PL meet.

3 Likes

Looks like we are all on the same path. Volume for the next while and then peak for a PR in Jan

1 Like

woke at 86 kg - 189,6 lb
3100 calories yesterday.

@simo74 Iā€™m a bit ahead of you I think. this is my 7ā€™th week and the last week of singles in this program will come mid december and then the PRā€™s should rain over me during the holidays.
Lower body coming up in a few hours, hopefully a bit better than upper body yesterday.

2 Likes

Just keep ticking them off and good things will come I promise

2 Likes

Totally agree. Focusing on PRs is probably one of the better ways to sabotage training. I get that when you donā€™t compete itā€™s harder to justify the delayed gratification. Maybe allocate two six week periods a year to peaking and testing?

2 Likes

When your new to the game like me. Everyday in the gym is a pr. :joy:

6 Likes

I bet I only max once or twice a year and thatā€™s plenty for me. It helps that SGSS is 12 weeks long. It really spreads out the build up for heavy work.

The only reason I want to max is to hit new milestones and thatā€™s not going to happen every six weeks. That gives me no reason to max because I donā€™t want to fail. Maxing doesnā€™t build strength so Iā€™m fine with waiting with the hopes that Iā€™ll do better.

I was hoping to test deads this week and I wanted a 20 lb improvement. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be doing that with this shoulder injury and the crippling soreness from my softball tourney.

4 Likes

This is the same for me. In June I hit a 551lb squat and a 672lb deadlift. I havenā€™t touched a squat over 500lbs, or a deadlift over 600lbs since those PRs.

6 Likes

Same here, training blocks are usually 10-12 weeks, volume blocks donā€™t generally call for a max at the end and Iā€™ll usually do two volume blocks to one intensity block. That works out a test every 36 weeks.
I might at a 3RM at the end of the second volume block to see how Iā€™m travelling but not a true 1RM test

3 Likes