The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

I always seem to lose tightness once I press the bar overhead. Deadlifts and all squat variations are easier with a belt, but on bench and OHP it doesn’t do anything for me. Am I doing something wrong/is there a common mistake people make when using a belt for upper body lifts??

Awesome PRs Mort :slight_smile: I love seeing these big PRs after a tough cycle. The dark horse made you strong!!

1 Like

That’s the way! Nice work.

On bench I don’t get anything out of the belt apart from my back feeling better when it is sore from deadlifts for example.

Well if you are getting something out of the belt on squat and dead, you seem to know about bracing properly.

One main question here would be if you are referring to overhead as push pressing or strict pressing (I am sorry, I should have stated earlier that overhead is a synonym for any kind of pressing overhead me? On the push press I am getting quite a bit out of my belt as it helps with stabilizing the heavy weights, On my strict press it is probably more about grinding out more reps than it is about max. weight. Still feels more stable with a belt.

3 Likes

Strict press/military press, whatever you want to call it. I realized today that I was getting essentially 0 lumbar extension on my strict presses, and when I let myself get that extension, my presses were more powerful. So I’m wondering if (somehow) achieving better lumbar extension while wearing a belt for strict presses would make the belt more effective.

As for push presses, I definitely see how a belt would help. The only time I push press is after a clean, and my belt is an Inzer so I don’t use it when I’m Olympic lifting.

The only reason I ask is because everyone I’ve seen (so far) who can strict press significantly more than I can is wearing a belt. I tried it, and I didn’t get much from it, if anything. So I know I’m doing something wrong, I’m just not sure what…

I like to think that I do haha. The first time I squatted 405 was beltless, and it was an absolute grinder. A few weeks later, I was messing around with one of my friends in the gym and I squatted 415 much more smoothly than the 405 was, but the 415 was with my belt on. That being said, I do still have room for improvement in every technique, including bracing. The important thing is that I understand the principle behind it and when I do brace with a belt, I have more strength with one than without one.

1 Like

I would think so. Although you do want to limit lumbar extension for safety reasons obviously, it is pretty much exactly what you have already observed: If you are going to lean back, the belt is going to help you a good bit in that position.

1 Like

This was also not meant as an insult or downplay to your accomplishments, I just don’t know a lot about you.

Also @mortdk: sorry for derailing you training log.

1 Like

hahaha to be honest I wasn’t sure if that was a dig at me or not. I figured it wasn’t, but last time I posted about wearing a belt I had just gotten mine so I didn’t know a lot about it. I got some shit for asking a stupid question, which I guess I deserved. It was just really hard for me to get used to it after doing everything beltless for so long lol. No worries bro I appreciate the clarification :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome squat pr mort

1 Like

Great work on those PRs! Sounds like you were perfectly primed!

1 Like

No worries my friend, It’s a good talk.
If the belt can help the OHP, then why not use it. I’ll try it out next time.
I think it would help me, I am looking at my OHP video and I can see my bracing is bad.
So maybe the belt can help getting me more tight.
It’s a bit like I think I’m cheating using the belt on pressing WTF, I’m using it on squat and DL and don’t feel I’m cheating.

2 Likes

Fantastic PR, Mort! Looks like the Daarkhorse program was substantially effective, after all.

I hear you about feeling like wearing a lifting belt is slightly cheating on OH pressing. On the other hand, I think wearing it for only the top sets on heavy days is plain sensible and doesn’t negatively reflect on your physical strength.

2 Likes

woke at 82,8 kg - 182,5 lb
about 2800 calories yesterday.

Thanks a ton guys. Here the day after, I’m still really excited and happy about this.
Tomorrow it’s bench day.
A bit worried about this one. I feel confident that I’m going to get my 2 plates, but a little devil sits on the other shoulder telling me that I won’t.

8 Likes

Go in and crush that rep and we’ll be here waiting for the video. Best of luck. Stay strong.

2 Likes

Shut that devil’s mouth. Nose tork if at hand can do that quite nicely. Some loud music and a bit of self talk can go a long was as well :wink:
You’re going to get it!

4 Likes

Don’t just get the two plates. Get something bigger…

6 Likes

You’ll get it. Stop thinking.

5 Likes

You’ve been putting in the work Mate, you’ll crush this.

3 Likes

Flick that little devil off and get to work brother. You’ve worked long and hard for this, there’s absolutely no reason for you to not get it. Good luck!!

2 Likes

lightweight for you mort

3 Likes