The Danish Viking: back to 531: Road to 2-3-4 Plates

Nope will watch it later

1 Like

I’m not knocking your warm up. You do whatever you like for a warm up. I suspect the giant set and your bad work schedule is what held you back. Try the Training Maximally progression to warm up for your next PR.
(percentages based on TM)

bar x 3-5
40% x 3-5
50% x 3-5
60% x 3-5
70% x 1-3
80% x 1-3
90% x 1
100% x 1
Set new PR!

2 Likes

This is looking good actually, working up to the old max? and then set a PR
Or is the 100% the TM.
So I should have done 5 kg jumps 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 And then my 60 kg set?

I will work out the weights for squat tomorrow.
Thanks Big J

This is a 5/3/1 program so the TM was 90% of your “any day of the week gym max”. You could base it off of your pre-Dark Horse max since it’s a warm up and progression to set a new PR. If you use your actual max then skip the 100% and do 102.5% or 105%. Personally, I don’t want to waste energy doing something I’ve done before. You might as well add at least 2.5kg to the bar so it’s a new max.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t do this, I would do bar and then jump to 40. Anything under that and I don’t think you would get a benefit and if anything your just adding to your overall fatigue for the day.

3 Likes

Yup, this is what I was going to say. I like to make steadily decreasing jumps during my warmup, for instance, this is what I did last time I squat maxed:
Barx5
135x5 (+90lb)
185x5 (+50lb)
225x5 (+40lb)
275x3 (+50lb)
315x2 (+40lb)
345x1 (+30lb)
375x1 (+30lb)
395x1 (+20lb)
410x1 (+15lb, also about 99% of my old 1RM so I knew I could get it)
425x1, (+15lb, 10lb PR)

Obviously the amount of weight you’re able to throw on the bar for each successive set is going to vary, and the point at which you’re going to need to start slowing down how much you’re adding is also individual, based on your max. If your max is 155 you aren’t going to be hitting any PRs if you start with the bar and then go to 135 (which I’ve seen a million high schoolers and college guys do. It’s funny).

When I was a junior in high school, we had an assistant coach who got hired for one year who was also a powerlifter. 400+ bench, and I watched him box squat 585. It was insane. But he told us how to warm up for maxes, and it was something like:
30% x 10
40% x 10
50% x 8
60% x 6
70% x 5
80% x 3
85% x 2
90% x 1
95% x 1
and then choose your next weight and hit a new PR based on how the 95% feels. Seems pretty simple, and you might end up having some odd looking weights on the bar by sticking hard to those percentages, but hey. It worked pretty well for me. I’m just lazy now and throw on 45s and 25s until I get close to my max or working sets

3 Likes

I usually end up doing consistent jumps in pounds. I’ll do 15-20 lbs on bench, 30 lbs on squat and probably 40 lbs on deads.

For example, bench would be

305-315

I also might be lazy and jump from 185 to 225.

2 Likes

Along the lines of what @Frank_C said, I don’t intend to knock your warm-up, Mort. Rather, when it comes to maxing, I’ve found it easy for me to leak out energy on excessive reps or exercises. When I’m maxing, I’ll usually do a regular workout after the max lift, but I do only the one lift first, in hopes of assessing my strength as accurately as possible (read: the bigger the number, the happier I’ll be :grin: )

3 Likes

Random thought, @mortdk: have you considered wearing your lifting belt for your OH max? The discussion about lifting belts in @simo74’s log go me to thinking about how a more solid, stable core may translate very well to heavy OH pressing.

2 Likes

Funny you should say that, I just had the same thought.
I think it was @Koestrizer that mentioned it for OHP i that discussion.

2 Likes

Yes I did and I am convinced that it does help. Even more in push pressing but strict pressing as well.

5 Likes

Woke at 82,9 kg - 182,8 kg
Ready for squat test day and a bit anxious.

Todays training

The Danish Vikings Darkhorse

W11D2 Squat Test

Warmup: stretches, yogastuff.

Dynamic warmup: 3 rounds of

• Rope skipping 30 seconds

• BPA x 12

• Dip x 5

• Pull up x 5

• airsquat x 10

Complex:

• bar x 8: DL, row, Hang clean, fr Squat, press, squat, GM, push press

Squat:

10 x Bar

8 x 40 kg

6 x 55 kg

5 x 70 kg

3 x 80 kg

2 x 87,5 kg

1 x 102,5 kg (mini pr have done 107,5 kg very high)

1 x 110 kg PR Hell yeah feeling good and strong

1 x 120 kg BIG PR (The Hog way of loading)

Backoff

10 x 80 kg

Giant set speed DL

• KB Swing 3 x 7 @ 24 kg

• Deadlift 3 x 3 @ 100 kg DOH

• hanging leg raise 3 x 10

Done in 45 minutes + 15 minutes warm up

Damn what a day, listening to you guys only doing the main lift working up like @lava2007 said.

Slept quite good tonight got to bed a bit late.

From the first set I felt good and strong.

The 95 and 102,5 kg felt really good, had planned 110 kg and then I would decide if I could do more. Planned to do 115 if I was good. I was good, loaded 115 kg and thought what would @losthog do and loaded 120 kg.

Go big or go home. 20 kg / 45 lb PR Damn Happy

Videos:
5 x 70 kg

1 x 110 kg PR

1 x 120 kg PR

16 Likes

I use my belt and make sure to put on my Chuck Taylor’s for heavy OHP. I also use wrist straps for Push Press because I don’t want my wrist to flex and lose force towards the bar.

3 Likes

Hell yeah! Nice lift brother!

You made that 120 look easy. You’ve got another 15-20 in you right now.

It’s always nice to see how you work to perfect form with every rep.

1 Like

Thanks Hog, but I do not think so. With a spotter I might, and that is a big might, have done 125 kg.
On the other hand I didn’t feel like the bar would crush me.

1 Like

Very nice, multiple PR’s!

1 Like

I missed this earlier! I think you must’ve posted when I was typing a response about the belt on OHP and such.

Nice work, Mort! Glad the different approach worked out well for you. It’s hard to say that your way wouldn’t have produced the same results but it definitely didn’t hurt to focus all of your energy on squats for the PR attempt.

Was that a Viking war cry I heard on the 120 rep?

Maybe more like a “help me mommy” cry :slight_smile:
I am trying to not to yell while lifting, but I cant help it when I think I’m going to die.

7 Likes

Well done Mort. A yell, groan or grunt is fine while grinding out a tough rep, it let’s the street onow your doing it tough :grinning:
More PR’s to come I reckon, keep it up

1 Like

Nice man!

1 Like