Silver and Steel

Yer it is funny, after 4 years of it I don’t miss it one little bit. I loved the challenge of doing it and loved being in the best condition ever but I can honestly say I never actually loved the running.

1 Like

I 100% get where you’re coming from. I was once a high mediocre runner, but never liked it. I liked racing, because it was competitive, but not the training

Yep the competing is the fun bit. The 3 hour hilly run in the rain at 5am is totally shit.

2 Likes

About the only time I enjoy it is when it is without purpose. Nice weather, music in my ears, no concern for pace. Otherwise, it sucks, haha.

1 Like

I just can’t think about anything other than “when will it end “? Clearly my weakness, but still.
For some reason, I liked ruck marches in the army more.

1 Like

This probably says something about our personalities but I don’t have the mental energy to work out what. Running without purpose is like grilling a steak and not eating it !!

3 Likes

I was always good at blocking that out and zoning out a little bit there is a big difference between toleration and enjoyment for me.

1 Like

Good point. A lot of folks actually like it, even if they didn’t like the benefits. And I don’t think they’re all crazy, or at least not all diagnosed

1 Like

So much this. I have brief bursts where I switch to thinking, “hey, maybe I can dig this” but then the gasping kicks back in.

Absolutely, though my rucking has been purely recreational. Each activity necessitates its own gait, and the ruck movement feels more natural to my frame. Plus, I think rucking is slightly more anaerobic, even though it demands incredible cardio. Whatever mix of muscle fiber types I have, they perform better rucking than running.

1 Like

That’s a good point about gait - maybe there’s some differences there that make it more tolerable for me, even though it takes longer.

To be fair, I haven’t done any of it in a long time!

1 Like

Running sucks ass however that post run high is mana from the gods

1 Like

I have literally no idea what that is, how long and hard do you have to run to get this? I think my longest run is probably 3 miles, I find running to be the least pleasurable activity (sporting/fitness activity) I could possibly imagine there are just so, so many better ways to do cardio.

That being said I have a treadmill and do a couple of miles a week, just because running seems like an important life skill.

2 Likes

I used to run with all my kit on and try to beat people without it for ~3 miles or so. Looking back, I think it probably used me up faster than I otherwise would have; I did tend to get a euphoric feeling though… or maybe I was just close to death

3 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Did some random nonsense today, but nothing hard.

Question for you folks that have done percentage based programs (like 85% of your max for 4 sets of 4 or whatever): do you get a relatively accurate max shortly beforehand, or do you just guesstimate using something you’re confident you can lift?

That depends on the program, but usually the first one.

1 Like

This.

I never want to know my max.

1 Like

Haha - I kind of like that we’re 50/50; that means I can’t go wrong.

Just to clarify my answer: when I say a “relatively accurate max”, I mean a max estimated from my most recent challenging worksets. I don’t max out more than once a year, and even they aren’t accurate because I approach it powerlifting meet style.

1 Like